Don`t settle cities on my borders, please. Oh wait, you have any way.

Socratatus

Emperor
I find this border discussing with AI leaders funny.

America and I (England) were neighbours but still had a large continent and lots of space. Washington comes up to me and tells me not to settle on his lands. Ok, I say, and I meant it, wanting to keep the peace. But at the same time I told him not to settle near my lands.

"HOW DARE YOU!" he cries, he`ll settle where he wants and next turn plonks a city about 4 hexes away from my most southern one. :mischief: Oh I see one rule for you and one rule for me. I still didn`t settle near him, settling much further North.

A few turns later he declares war due to our `close borders`.

I battered him to within two cities and when he sent out a setller again right next to me so he can take a small pocket, i warned him not to and again he got angry, so I killed his settlers and took his capital city, leaving him with one (he made a new washington later).

Funnily enough, Catherine of the Austrians actually agreed not to settle by my cities when I asked (first time I`ve ever seen it), although she wasn`t happy about it.

Yes. I didn`t want a war, but what can you do when faced with such two-facedness?

Washington is probably civ's finest hypocrite. I mean, he's the guy who kept saying:

"I trust you're a friend of liberty."

Tthe irony was strong in this one.

Washington is probably civ's finest hypocrite. I mean, he's the guy who kept saying:

Says he is friend of Liberty

Takes Tradition and Honor, go to war over your lands

I think he mean't Maria of the austrians or Cathriene of the Russians one or the other.

im most confused by the status notifications. one time Inca told me not to settle near him and i said ill settle where i please. a couple turns later after 2 cities went down he denounced me. both of these are listed in the friend/guarded/hostile/whatever status. 10 turns later he comes to me with a DoF and all of the status stuff is in green. No mention of settling, no red text of any kind. Is this intentional or just bad programming? I know some AI can be duplicitous but I dont remember Inca being particularly two-faced. I never tick Random Personalities in the game options.

im most confused by the status notifications. one time Inca told me not to settle near him and i said ill settle where i please. a couple turns later after 2 cities went down he denounced me. both of these are listed in the friend/guarded/hostile/whatever status. 10 turns later he comes to me with a DoF and all of the status stuff is in green. No mention of settling, no red text of any kind. Is this intentional or just bad programming? I know some AI can be duplicitous but I dont remember Inca being particularly two-faced. I never tick Random Personalities in the game options.

I had strange situation with Dutch before patch. Status green showed every other turn only green and every other turn there was red notification that they think we are building new cities too aggressively. It seemed to chance every turn

Based on my experience, when AI built cities aggressively at you, it is like that already AI decided that it will be hostile to you, and this is their indirect warning for a war about to begin. Interestingly, I have seen very similar behaviour in multiplayer games by non-AI players ( humans).

I think it depends on military strength and Civ flavor, much like demands/tributes. Washington is a warmonger and would rather go to war than give in.

Has anyone gotten the "Don't spy on me" to work? Seems like every time I try it, I get a tech stolen a handful of turns later.

10 turns later he comes to me with a DoF and all of the status stuff is in green. No mention of settling, no red text of any kind. Is this intentional or just bad programming?

Did something else change, such as another Civ DoW or settling? I suspect some of the game formulas take in several variables at once, and can change certain outcomes. For example one game I had settled south of William with a decent amount of space. Wasn't an issue. Then Pachacuti invaded from the east and took half his lands. Shortly after they settle their dispute, I get a message from William about how I am settling too aggressively, taking all the land, blah blah blah.

I think the game's logic basically went like this:

- Lost X number of cities/land, need more.

- East is no longer an option (north/northwest was ocean/desert).

- Looks south, that isn't an option either, because Ottomans have settled there.

- Flips switch for "Hate Ottomans for taking all the land"

Perhaps in your scenario, Inca managed to settle elsewhere and cleared things up. Or something.

I remember one game recently that I had, where Washington had order, and I had freedom.I went to talk to him, and he said, "I trust you are a friend to liberty".Seems like I said or thought, "I'm a better friend to liberty than you are!", or something like that.:lol:

That moment when Washington settles New York just a few tiles away from York.

Did something else change, such as another Civ DoW or settling? I suspect some of the game formulas take in several variables at once, and can change certain outcomes. For example one game I had settled south of William with a decent amount of space. Wasn't an issue. Then Pachacuti invaded from the east and took half his lands. Shortly after they settle their dispute, I get a message from William about how I am settling too aggressively, taking all the land, blah blah blah.

I think the game's logic basically went like this:

- Lost X number of cities/land, need more.

- East is no longer an option (north/northwest was ocean/desert).

- Looks south, that isn't an option either, because Ottomans have settled there.

- Flips switch for "Hate Ottomans for taking all the land"

Perhaps in your scenario, Inca managed to settle elsewhere and cleared things up. Or something.

The problem I had with it is that sometimes i'll see in gray "You have denounced one of their friends. It no longer holds as much sway." It means that prior things that angered them no longer mean much but they will still list it as prior events. But it went from 3 red text details (2 regarding settling, one for beating them to a wonder) to nothing but green in 10 turns. Plenty of times it will include both green and red reasons. This inconsistency is what confuses me. It clearly forgot or wiped clear prior events that werent even 20 turns old. Or it is another duplicitous, mis-informative effort on the coders part.

Based on my experience, when AI built cities aggressively at you, it is like that already AI decided that it will be hostile to you, and this is their indirect warning for a war about to begin. Interestingly, I have seen very similar behaviour in multiplayer games by non-AI players ( humans).

Heyyyyyy, Buddyyyyy, I luv you so much I'm going to start a city right in your front yard, just so we can be together more. And never mind these masses of troops I sent over with the settlers, they just wanted to bask in your wonder, too! <big sincere smile>

I've experienced this once when England settler goes near my border n then i ask Elizabeth not to settle cities near my border. Somehow the settler goes back to England territory wow.. seems like magic to me since usually AI won't accept this terms. A couple of turns later i expand cities pretty fast near close enough to her border then she ask me not to settle on her lands, i say yes but still in the next 10-15 turns war happens due to close border.

This is normal in Civ V: The only point of demands is to make that AI mad at you (when not showing "Afraid"; they'll reject them and suffer a diplomatic hit otherwise)

And Coveting lands is in large part based on how close their current borders are to yours so yes, the moment they found a city too close to you they get land-envy.

Top Bottom