Things that irk you

Another thing that irks me.... WORKERS are much MUCH more useful than workboats. Workboats morph into the improvement, but these improvements are easily destroyed by any boat. After a major naval war, I will sometimes lose ALL of my naval improvements.

I think sea improvements should just become 'razed' when an enemy unit attacks it, but they should not vanish. In addition, a worker should be able to go to the razed water tile and repair the tile.

Speaking of workers, does anyone else have problems of having to tell works like 4-6 times to finish a freakin task?

If they randomly stop improving, it is because an enemy would have been able to capture them. However, it doesn't work well so most of the times workers will stop improving when there's a barb archer 16 hexes away.

Does it have to be a hostile unit? I had open borders with a civ who was at war with another civ and he was constantly sending units through my lands. Still infuriating though.

-the AI forward settles on me with a city that now has borders touching my borders. i had 2 units sitting at that border on watch/defense. the following turn it thinks im about to DoW and asks me to move my units from their border.
-a barb doesnt try to attack me but instead just keeps moving in front of me to slow down my exploration.
-moving the wrong unit in a stacked tile
-not getting new pop notifications after 5
-legacy warmonger penalties that last more than 100 turns
-AI covets my lands even though I only have my capital

Related to pop and land grab notifications, I wish they could make mods labeled as info only or rule changers, and info only wouldn't block achievements. Then you could use the ones for growth and land grab notifications forever.

Does it have to be a hostile unit? I had open borders with a civ who was at war with another civ and he was constantly sending units through my lands. Still infuriating though.

It's sometimes just random. I haven't had it happen yet in BNW but in G&K there were times I owned a whole continent(had view of the whole thing at least) and I'd have a worker in the middle stopping working each turn. I know for a fact there was nothing within 15 tiles of him in any direction.

Another thing a little more humorous, right after posting in the 'civs that show up too much' thread about how I have the Songhai and Ottomans in every single game I roll a new game and I end up as Askia alone on an island with Suleiman. I tolerated him for a time, but eventually his city spamming just got on my nerves and he had to go. :lol:

It's sometimes just random. I haven't had it happen yet in BNW but in G&K there were times I owned a whole continent(had view of the whole thing at least) and I'd have a worker in the middle stopping working each turn. I know for a fact there was nothing within 15 tiles of him in any direction.

Another thing a little more humorous, right after posting in the 'civs that show up too much' thread about how I have the Songhai and Ottomans in every single game I roll a new game and I end up as Askia alone on an island with Suleiman. I tolerated him for a time, but eventually his city spamming just got on my nerves and he had to go. :lol:

Didn't know there was a thread on that topic, but yeah, I keep it all on random and I see the exact same ones over and over and over.

Unit pathing - when you give a path and it asks for new orders if another unit is on the tile that it's been ordered to go to, EVEN IF it won't get there for another 10 turns. This becomes very annoying very quickly, especially bearing in mind that the AI likes to shuffle its units around in its territory for no apparent reason.

'Being on such good terms...'
- ARGH. This is at least as irritating as the Hostile taunts. I know you know I'm friends with XYZ, and I know you are too - you don't have to keep telling me about it!

Friendly 'requests for help' - I don't mind the AI doing this from time to time, but I'd really like to see them offer a resource trade once in a while rather than just thinking that our DoF entitles them to request demand my spare luxury or the contents of my treasury, free of charge. They clearly trade their spare luxuries to the other AI, which explains why they never have extra ones to trade anyway, so why not the player? It's nice that they'll offer to renew deals you set up that expired, but they won't make new requests, other than to ask for your free stuff. This just encourages me to see the AI as a spoilt child rather than a fellow leader I can respect. Related to this, I'd also like to see World Congress leaders investing a little more effort in trying to get the player to support them.

I think in Vanilla the AI would occasionally make you an offer for a trade, I haven't seen that in a long time.

Its been mentioned a few times but man this really is at the top of my list; Civs can reprimand you for actions (i.e. troops at borders) but you cannot return the favor. Similarly how they can request for help and ask for even more help after giving them free resources already (I often gift spare resources to try to get DoFs esp. after education) and you can't request from them but only 'demand'. Any diplomatic action an AI can make towards the player, the player should beable to do the same with similar diplomatic benefits/consequences. Its just so darn irritating on harder difficulties when they already have a considerable start bias (i.e. start with pottery etc..) but also they don't suffer from even half the diplomatic penalties the player can.

Another one that's more minor to me is how the warmonger modifier works, if I declare war to save a civ or against a civ whose wiped out two civs there should be almost no penalty in my opinion. These modifiers in diplomacy almost always work against the player. Modifiers between ai civs seem nearly negligible and eventually forgiven but when its against the player you're branded a warmonger for life. This is probably the most annoying thing in OCC and it just peeves me so much.

Lastly, worker AI is useless. Even when manually directing them to build road routes they still go in the most roundabout way. If you could customize parameters on workers that would really be helpful. For instance for puppets, spam TPs on every tile in just this city or all puppet states; setting something like this up would be far more helpful and and increase the game speed considerably rather than having to direct a worker every 5 turns which is painful and makes larger maps unplayable or at least for me.

Lastly, worker AI is useless. Even when manually directing them to build road routes they still go in the most roundabout way. If you could customize parameters on workers that would really be helpful. For instance for puppets, spam TPs on every tile in just this city or all puppet states; setting something like this up would be far more helpful and and increase the game speed considerably rather than having to direct a worker every 5 turns which is painful and makes larger maps unplayable or at least for me.

Yes a million times. I would never leave the automated worker alone to improve stuff, as it can never truly know what I wanted, but it's sad that I cannot trust the automation to build a straight road.

On the topic of workers, it really bugs me that a worker finishes a job at the end of the turn, meaning I miss a turn of trading that luxury if I'm not watching for it and manually finishing the job myself.

Oh what really grinds my gears is how the entire diplomacy gets thrown out the window the moment ideologies are adopted.

I had the following history with Boudicca

- multiple trades for luxuries
- no war, ever, on my part
- no shared borders (other side of map)
- DOF
- helped with cash once
- friends with friends

and suddenly, she goes order and I go freedom and she turns guarded and refuses even 3 for 1 luxury trades, the ONLY negative thing there being Order vs Freedom.

Naval trade unit gets plundered by a naval barbarian next to the coast. Logically, you expect a naval barb to spawn from the plunder. But no, hand-axe spawns on land. Guess the looters just rode the debris in to shore or something.

Things that progress

The elongated Tech Tree. The Tree felt stretched to the limits in Civilization 5. Game objectives inevitably have to do with "rewards" and "promotions" delaying the process apparently just to delay it, results in a slower (less interesting) game without improvement of play.

"Please wait" Clearly we are dealing with hardware that takes time to process data but in BNW with my i5 quad, GTX650 card, I find that "please wait" between turns is taking over, typically lasting from 30-50 seconds. In most games I'm staring at the "wait" icon longer than I'm taking to make my moves.

New Unit Purchases Blocked I'm not stopped from building new units. When complete, I am instructed to move the stacked unit. If I want to buy a unit and have another unit of the same generic type in the city, I'm blocked and have to move out the similar unit first. Just get rid of that. 1UPT is fine but not when buying units.

"Please wait" Clearly we are dealing with hardware that takes time to process data but in BNW with my i5 quad, GTX650 card, I find that "please wait" between turns is taking over, typically lasting from 30-50 seconds. In most games I'm staring at the "wait" icon longer than I'm taking to make my moves.

What map sizes are you playing? I play standard and on my i5 laptop I don't go past 10 seconds with animations turned off.

The wait turns irk me towards the later stages of the game.

Among many other issues, I think that plays a part in the dryness and lack of excitement the late game brings (yes, I believe late game is still subpar in comparison to beginning even with BNWs awesome additions)

Some terrible UI "features":

1. camera centers on the selected unit at the start of the turn. I often look around the map during AIs turn, and it's just irks me a lot when suddenly map moves to a place i don't care about atm

2. auto unit cycle (doesn't irk me anymore since i disabled it :D) With this "feature" on you don't get to see the damage/culture/gold/faith you got with the attack as the game will cycle to a unit on the other side of the map immediately after issuing the order. But when you attack with your last unit needing orders you'll have to wait for those numbers before you can click next turn.

3. leader screens popping up. I move my scout 1 tile, meet an unmet player and his screen pops up. No, i am not a friend of liberty, go away! I'd like to go back to using my scout now, thank you. Same thing with leader screen popping up during AIs turn. I'm looking around the map and AI pops up, interrupting me. I'd love to see all leader screens replaced by a simple notification on the right (game would pause if it's an AIs trade request during their turn, but not for things that don't require your response, like the "very well" and "you will pay for this" responses which have no impact on the game )

3. diplomacy UIs:
-while it was improved with BNW it irks me that i have talk to AI to see if we have a DOF (this could be shown next to shared embassy/open borders/research agreement)
-CS luxuries/resources and quests are shown in separate windows, would love to see these two shown on the same screen.
-Influence with CSs can only be seen in tooltips, influence could be shown on every CS related screen without me having to mouseover stuff.

Still love the game, those are just minor annoyances, I'll get used to them eventually.

Things that progress

The elongated Tech Tree. The Tree felt stretched to the limits in Civilization 5. Game objectives inevitably have to do with "rewards" and "promotions" delaying the process apparently just to delay it, results in a slower (less interesting) game without improvement of play.

New Unit Purchases Blocked I'm not stopped from building new units. When complete, I am instructed to move the stacked unit. If I want to buy a unit and have another unit of the same generic type in the city, I'm blocked and have to move out the similar unit first. Just get rid of that. 1UPT is fine but not when buying units.

Agreed on these two (for some reason, my turn times still pass relatively quickly - either that or it doesn't bother me since very often I'll alt-tab out of CiV while the AI has its turn).

What really irritates me about not being able to buy a unit when you have one in your city already is that, when defending, the AI very often will rush-buy a unit and use both that unit and the one already in its city before moving one away - now surely that is cheating!

For me, Civ V turns pass faster than Civ IV turns in the late game. I guess Civ IV has more data to process (more cities, no 1UPT) which could result in some bottleneck slowing it down. How large maps are you playing? I typically only play standard.

Top Bottom