Melee / Range Combat Idea / Suggestion

WeirdWeimar

Chieftain
Hi, I noticed that the combat in Civ5 is really weird.

If I have a ranged unit (Archer) and a melee unit (Warrior). Both can attack from where they stand, but only the melee unit will move into the enemy tile after the melee unit has killed an enemy.

This does not make sense. The game should give me a choice. "Do you want to move into the enemy tile or not? Yes or No?"

The reason it should offer a choice is because if you attack with melee first, then kill with range, then neither move into the enemy tile.

Lets put this into perspective. I would have to say, "Hey warriors, you're going to run up to the enemy, you're gonna smack them in the face with your willies, then retreat because we're going to bombard then with arrows. Kapeesh?"

I'm not the most intelligent person in the world, but that doesn't sound like a very realistic strategy.

Shouldn't it be, range first, then melee?

In any case, the game should give you a choice of whether or not you want to move your melee unit into the enemy tile.

The reason is because, sometimes moving a melee unit into the enemy tile may put you in range of more enemy units (or worse, an enemy city), thus causing your melee unit getting unnecessarily slaughtered.

Does anyone see the logic here? :)

Also, on an unrelated note: I think Barbarian encampments have weird rules. Lets say that I spend 5 turns attacking a Barbarian encampment and various brutes and barb archers. I've spent a lot of time killing the encampment.

If someone else comes along, they may be able to get the final blow and steal the encampment. I've seen the AI do this. It's infuriating. Shouldn't this be disallowed?

A simple solution would be have the encampment always go to the player that did the most damage. You shouldn't be required to move onto the encampment tile in order to claim it. It should just automatically go to the player who did the most damage. Anyone agree? :)

I like your first suggestion but I feel your second one is not so good.

Edit: I dislike the second suggestion because it is unrealistic( If Carthage takes out an encampment and makes off with some loot do you really think they will hand it over to Rome just because Roman archers killed more barbarians) and over complicated( Because all barbarians are united there would need to be a hex range of damage counting toward the gold reward, would melee and ranged damage count equally, etc).

I definitely disagree with the second point, mainly because cities work the same way. They don't go to whoever did the most damage, either.
The first point, I don't really feel strongly at all about. It makes more sense to go ranged before melee, yeah, so that's why I do exactly that. I don't really have a problem with melee units moving into the tile of the unit they killed. It's like chess.

I definitely disagree with the second point, mainly because cities work the same way. They don't go to whoever did the most damage, either.
The first point, I don't really feel strongly at all about. It makes more sense to go ranged before melee, yeah, so that's why I do exactly that. I don't really have a problem with melee units moving into the tile of the unit they killed. It's like chess.

But what if you're wiping out a city's defenses? If the city's too powerful, your units will get wiped out and thereafter your siege force is weakened.

Top Bottom