NESLife V (Part 2)

At the time I was thinking that the food would cake the inner surface in layers, not just stuff it all in a tube. You may withhold the surface area piece if you desire. I will think of something about the bacteria.

Latcher - serious concern. Coming from a lineage of photosynthesisers, I'm not clear on how it actually gets nourishment once it has attached to an animal's filter-feeding apparatus. Basically sitting in its mouth. It will be damaged by digestive fluids if trying to get to the actual nutrients.

I was thinking it could transition its eating of bacterial growth and dead matter into eating said growth and matter from inside the filter-feeder "mouth", scrubbing it in a way. I am not sure if that is plausible, and I didn't exactly word it well, so the concern is well understood. :)

Apologies for my critical tone earlier - and just to be clear, I wasn't saying if something will actually be a success or not in-game (I'll work that out later ;) ). Just want to give you a heads up if I'm not clear about how the evolution is meant to work.

Tlaxcala work better?

Nice, thanks :)

At the time I was thinking that the food would cake the inner surface in layers, not just stuff it all in a tube. You may withhold the surface area piece if you desire. I will think of something about the bacteria.

Gistantula basically vomits digestive juices while sitting on its food, and the food gets digested underneath it, and then the tissues on the underside thin out to absorb the resulting soup into the main body. I'm still not clear about how you'd like to store those nutrients - the most logical step I imagine is just some fatty tissues inside the body ;)

I was thinking it could transition its eating of bacterial growth and dead matter into eating said growth and matter from inside the filter-feeder "mouth", scrubbing it in a way. I am not sure if that is plausible, and I didn't exactly word it well, so the concern is well understood. :)

Ah I understand, thanks - got it now!

My bad :p will change it.

Species Name: Nekter
Ancestor Species: Mirimaz
Selective Pressure: Inter and intra-species competition
Primary Mutation: Large hardened beak for a powerful bite
Secondary Mutation(s): Improved senses, skeleton and muscles for better speed and maneuvering.

The Mirimaz like its ancestral Mikri-Oura have always been filterers in their early stages and omnivorous later. While the filtering stage have mostly remained the improvement in senses and movement eventually led to a species of them, called Nekter, that preyed upon others. It could see and smell its prey, swim to it quickly and close on it with a large hardened skeleton beak. The beak could cut pieces of flesh and even break some shells, usually of younger creatures. Nekter is known to bite on larger slower prey and then continue on, escaping any attempts to attack it back.

We create worlds. Think we cannot find out where you live? ;)

Glad to say you passed the initiation (we had to wipe your memory afterwards, for your own safety). You are now free to post an evolution. You will find the rules here are pretty much identical to Lord_Iggy's NES :)

I'd completely forgotten that I'd forgotten to get round to doing this.

Spoiler :
Mikri-Oura: versatile oceanic omnivore.
Genetic diversity: high (hermaphrodite).
Description: small tubular animal with spiny internal skeleton, muscular tail for rapid bursts of swimming and burrowing, and a basic one-way digestive tube. Extendible cilia for capturing plankton during its development stage; five primitive eyes, a primitive beak and organs for gene exchange in its reproductive phase.

Species Name: Canulla Circulatus
Ancestor Species: Mikri-Oura
Selective Pressure: Competition for available food
Primary Mutation: The Canulla Circulatus is much smaller than its ancestor, this both reduces its energy requirements and trauma to the host.
Secondary mutations: Sharper beak to ease entry into the host

The Cannula Circulatus has developed a parasitic relationship with Gistantula and descended species. Young Circulata are born inside their parent's host but quickly cut there way out, usually through the thinner gas exchange tissues. Once in open water they are considered juveniles and live in much the same way as the Mikri-Oura. Once they reach maturity they mate and seem out a suitable host. Using their beak they burrow into the host, taking up residence in the circulatory system. Using their cillia they anchor to the wall of a blood vessel and start growing till their body fills the vessel. They completely open their digestive tract and take the required nutrients and oxygen directly from the host's blood.

Top Bottom