Steam

kkapalk

Warlord
Apologies beforehand if this is the incorrect forum for this question guys.
I bought Civ 5 vanilla on disc 16 months ago, obviously installing Steam at that point. Then, during the next 16 months I downloaded Gods and Kings,Explorers map pack, Brave New World etc... Now, sadly, my computer seems on the brink of a total shutdown and I will need to buy a new one. I just am not sure what to do about getting all my downloaded content back through Steam? Would I be able to use the same account on a different computer? Is the correct course to install my vanilla disc? Then would I have to pay again for the downloadable content? Or does this content automatically download again on the new computer?
Thanks for reading,
Kev.

The only restriction with Steam is that you can only have your games/downloads on one device at a time. You can uninstall and redownload for free as often as you like on the same account.

I don't know the exact method for transferring your account from one computer to another but as it's a common practice with pc owners it should be just a matter of following some dialogues to disable your account on the old computer.

Just install Steam on the new computer. When logging in the first time from a new computer, they'll ask you the confirmation code sent to your email and that's it (a security feature so it would be harder to hijack accounts).

Depending on how much is available for you to download each month, your old disk may not even be required. Simply logging into a new computer will allow you to download all games, DLCs and patches for all games you have on steam. If you have a download cap, you can install from disc again to save some downloads.

The only restriction with Steam is that you can only have your games/downloads on one device at a time. You can uninstall and redownload for free as often as you like on the same account.

I don't know the exact method for transferring your account from one computer to another but as it's a common practice with pc owners it should be just a matter of following some dialogues to disable your account on the old computer.

Pretty sure that is not the case. Your games are not tied to your computer, they are tied to yoru account

So unless he magically forgets his username and password he will lose all those games.

There are games where you have to uninstall games in order to reinstall them somewhere else, but I have yet to see that with Steam.

You can have a game installed on more than one computer - I have Civ5 installed on both my laptop and desktop. However, you can only be logged into your Steam account on one computer at a time; so I can't play Civ5 on both my laptop and desktop at the same time.

As others have said, you simply need to install Steam on your new computer, then login. Your games will be listed in your library, and you just need to click the 'install' button to make it download all the files associated with the game, including the DLC you own.

Top Bottom