[Map Script] PerfectWorld2.py

I didn't notice any errors in the PythonErr.log file in Vanilla.

I did notice this in PythonDbg.log:

Code:
No room at all found for BONUS_DRAMA!!!

No room at all found for BONUS_MUSIC!!!

No room at all found for BONUS_MOVIES!!!

That doesn't quite seem right, but I would like to have a map with bonus movies on it.

Good news. Thanks for checking that dr_s.

Well I tried doing 160 and 81 before, which should have been just as effective, but I don't believe that actually did anything. I do have several versions though, so it is possible I didn't have the right combination of changes. I'll check and see if this works.

EDIT: Hooray, it works. Thanks for your help.

The problem that you had before was in your WORLDSIZE_HUGE. 48 * 4 = 192, and 24 * 4 = 96, which is bigger than my original recommendation for hmHeight and hmWidth of 160,80. and also I gave you a wrong recommendation it should have been 160,81 not 161,80! :lol:

I hope that clears it up for you. The getGridSize numbers need to be x4 to get the actual map size. (In colonization it's x1)

I love this map. I used to play mostly fractal or shuffle with random ai, random personality, unrestricted whatever, random climate, random water level (large map, epic speed, ancient era), because, well, I like things random! But the terrain has always been kinda lame with random peaks and hills and desert and plains. I found this map and it is just awesome fun. The maps look great, and things are nicely randomized. I also enjoy the clumping of resources.

I have two comments however:

1. I can't see the damn tribal huts. The first few times I played the map I thought you had disabled huts because I never saw any. It wasn't until I randomed a civ that started with a scout (I never build those guys) that outlined a regular looking forest plot with a blue circle that I realized the huts are there, I just can't see them. In normal maps huts in forests are much more visible because the forests have receded on the tile around the hut to make it more visible. In your map the forest is right on top of the hut and I now have to explore with the map incredibly zoomed in to see them. Plus your map is covered in forests and jungles so almost all huts are covered. Is there any way to make them more visible a la normal maps?

2. The terrain is too good. Too much grassland, but primarily too many hills. My GP Farms have 3-4 hills, every other city has like 8, its ridiculous, there are simply hills everywhere. All my cities become production powerhouses without even really trying. Depending on my economy I either mine all hills and farm all the rest (inevitably grassland river), or mine all the hills and farm/cottage the rest (inevitably grassland river). It's as if you've lowered the build times of everything, it seems a bit unbalancing. I think things would be improved by cutting back on the hills and increasing the plains.

Regardless, I love the map as is, just offering some constructive criticism.

2. The terrain is too good. Too much grassland, but primarily too many hills. My GP Farms have 3-4 hills, every other city has like 8, its ridiculous, there are simply hills everywhere. All my cities become production powerhouses without even really trying. Depending on my economy I either mine all hills and farm all the rest (inevitably grassland river), or mine all the hills and farm/cottage the rest (inevitably grassland river). It's as if you've lowered the build times of everything, it seems a bit unbalancing. I think things would be improved by cutting back on the hills and increasing the plains.

Maybe there could be an Age of Earth option (like Civ 1 was it??) where you can choose 5 or 4 or 3 billion years old. The older the earth, the less mountains and hills around.

I love this map. I used to play mostly fractal or shuffle with random ai, random personality, unrestricted whatever, random climate, random water level (large map, epic speed, ancient era), because, well, I like things random! But the terrain has always been kinda lame with random peaks and hills and desert and plains. I found this map and it is just awesome fun. The maps look great, and things are nicely randomized. I also enjoy the clumping of resources.

I have two comments however:

1. I can't see the damn tribal huts. The first few times I played the map I thought you had disabled huts because I never saw any. It wasn't until I randomed a civ that started with a scout (I never build those guys) that outlined a regular looking forest plot with a blue circle that I realized the huts are there, I just can't see them. In normal maps huts in forests are much more visible because the forests have receded on the tile around the hut to make it more visible. In your map the forest is right on top of the hut and I now have to explore with the map incredibly zoomed in to see them. Plus your map is covered in forests and jungles so almost all huts are covered. Is there any way to make them more visible a la normal maps?

Thanks for the compliments, and...

For issue one, I have only seen this problem when I use the 'regenerate map' button. Sometimes bonuses and goody huts for some reason don't have the proper z values, and can end up under a hill or something. I don't really know why. One thing that should fix it is to save and reload the game. I don't have this problem when starting fresh.

For issue two, there are many tuning variables at the beginning the script that are well commented. You might want to play with those a bit and tone down the hills and grassland. Usually mess with these every new publish, and I'll keep your observations in mind. I do like alot of hills mainly because they look good. Balance, shmalance. :D

Could you have a realistic nationality proximity option - ie have all european civs start nearby, all american civs start nearby, all asian and middle eastern and african start near to their real life neighbours?
There's something like that already, here - if you use this, it should work with any map, including PerfectWorld, I think.

Cheers, LT.

for your goody huts issue, go into the art files for terrain improvements i think (it's one of the generic art files) and in the entry for goody huts (as well as every building) you'll see a <size> or <scale> tag, make that number bigger to enlarge the huts on the map.

Thanks for the compliments, and...

For issue one, I have only seen this problem when I use the 'regenerate map' button. Sometimes bonuses and goody huts for some reason don't have the proper z values, and can end up under a hill or something. I don't really know why. One thing that should fix it is to save and reload the game. I don't have this problem when starting fresh.

For issue two, there are many tuning variables at the beginning the script that are well commented. You might want to play with those a bit and tone down the hills and grassland. Usually mess with these every new publish, and I'll keep your observations in mind. I do like alot of hills mainly because they look good. Balance, shmalance. :D

Maybe it looks different with blue marble? I have no mods and I never regenerate maps, also they're hidden under forests and forests only (maybe jungle, i don't recall).

The hills are pretty, especially in the cold areas with the snow on them. I think I'll just leave all tweaking to you.

for your goody huts issue, go into the art files for terrain improvements i think (it's one of the generic art files) and in the entry for goody huts (as well as every building) you'll see a <size> or <scale> tag, make that number bigger to enlarge the huts on the map.

Hey, that'd help, thanks! But I've never tweaked anything like that before, could you tell me the name and path of that file?

That might be luck of the draw. While there do seem to be more hills that usual, they also clump more, so my experience is that I'll have dry steppes with little to no food resources, and mostly plains for the flatland, but large swathes of coastal grassland with few to no hills. Again, just the maps I've seen/played on. Apparently it works differently for you.

Didn't have problems seeing the huts myself.

@Bad Player. Don't know about Civ I, but it was in Civ II.

Cephalo, Can you make a option that forces Panageas (maybe by placing continents closer together, and linking them with an island archipelago, as a failsafe)? I prefer them sometimes. Thanks :)

Cephalo, Can you make a option that forces Panageas (maybe by placing continents closer together, and linking them with an island archipelago, as a failsafe)? I prefer them sometimes. Thanks :)

If you allow pangaeas, and then turn up the land percent a few notches, you are almost sure to get a pangaea. It's kinda hard to control really.

If you allow pangaea, does it still launch a meteor shower?

No, it skps that and probably won't take as long to generate.

If you allow pangaeas, and then turn up the land percent a few notches, you are almost sure to get a pangaea. It's kinda hard to control really.

Cephalo, is there a bug in the python of the current version then? The climate and sea level options are there, but greyed out.

I looked in the Python, and it looks like Climate and Sealevel options are left out also.

def getCustomMapOptionName(argsList):
"""
Returns name of specified option
argsList[0] is Option ID (int)
Return a Unicode string
"""
optionID = argsList[0]
if optionID == 0:
return "New World Rules"
elif optionID == 1:
return "Pangaea Rules"
elif optionID == 2:
return "Wrap Option"

Cephalo, is there a bug in the python of the current version then? The climate and sea level options are there, but greyed out.

I looked in the Python, and it looks like Climate and Sealevel options are left out also.

Toward the beginning of the file there are a bunch of variables that you can adjust for different effects. LandPercentage is the first one I believe. Turn it to .30 or above, and you'll likely get pangaeas.

Top Bottom