Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Industrial Era

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Modern Era

Votes: 6 8.2%

• Total voters

Tandaw

Chieftain
I know this is probably very Civilization dependant but when do you all generally rev up for war? I find that not matter what victory type I am going for I usually cut down a couple of my neighbors. In my last game Gandhi spawned right next to me. I cannot stand him so I wiped him off the map despite going for a cultural victory. This always seems to happen around the medieval period. That timing just gives me enough time to lay down my cities and a good economy before I lose my close trading partners.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to find myself consistently declaring war around the same era :king: How about the rest of you?

It actually depends on the civ for me. If early warmongering is fun enough with an early UU then I might do it in the ancient, though the benefits of such war can only really be realized once you have the economy to absorb new cities. In all my early games like this, taking more than 2 really nerfs me early.

Because of this, if I plan on warmongering for practicality and not just for fun and plan to keep the cities then I'm usually aiming for Renaissance as I have a good science, culture, and economic base in place by then and it is a slow era. I'll beeline some of the new war tech and Dow to spice things up. Any era after that is good for war as you have a well-established empire that is more flexible, however, industrial is usually around the time you are building factories, public schools, hydro plants and the like like mad, so maybe not the best time to war unless you won't need to be building any new units.

Whenever I feel threaten by Greek's siege towers or feel like conquering pathetic weak one city civilizations that calls me puny like England.

If there's a city next to me that I want, I'll usually try to take it around the Renaissance Era provided that I'm not up against a strong military. But I do most of my offensive wars the moment I get artillery because you're at such an advantage being able to bombard enemy cities three tiles away.

4 archers, a warrior and a spearman are enough to take out your nearest neighbour. Once the highly promoted archers are CB's your land mass is yours and yours alone.

Usually after NC with an xbow rush. A long drawn out composite war before NC will leave you way behind everyone else in the game in tech.

Generally Medieval - unless I've got an earlier UU in which case I'll build a lot of them (if they upgrade!) even if I'm not planning on war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrumpyBuddha
Um, you've left out a couple of eras there.

I find war without Rocket Artillery+ to be a drag.

He probably does not have G&K/BNW. Also Rocket Artillery is meant to end the game along with other units such as Stealth Bombers, nukes, XCOM Squad, ect.

Haha sorry, I do have all the expansions and DLC. Everything after the Modern Era kind of blends together for me. I did indeed forget to add Atomic and Information

Define rev up? I usually start attacking in the ancient era if I'm going for domination, but I often don't capture cities until the classical. (chariot archers or archers->composite bows)

Sometimes I wait for Industrial. (Dynamite for artillery)

On island maps, Classical or Medieval. (wheel/optics for chariot archers or Compass for galleas)

Also depends on my goal. If I'm expressly wanting to play with panzers, I might wait until Combustion to start attacking, but difficulty level also matters. I'd never wait that long on Deity unless I was looking for a challenge, because Artillery is by far the most effective unit for 2 eras, and attacking when you first unlock Dynamite is the best time. Otherwise it's a mad tech rush to Bombers. But, on difficulty levels other than Deity (IE when strategy doesn't matter and inefficient gameplay doesn't spell doom) I might base my attack run on the civ's UU.

I usually don't begin my major wars of conquest until the end of industrial or the beginning of modern. Unless that is I'm playing a civ that lends itself to early conquest.

Lacks an option for "not at all", but you don't have to include it if you don't want to. I only ever train or use military units if someone declares war on me, which in half a dozen Immortal/Deity games has only happened three times.
Two of them being Denmark in the same game... I usually manage to defend myself with just a three-four units and a few city-state allies, since Denmark is quick to make peace. (Though also quick to declare war again, which can be really annoying,)
But most of the time I'm able to stay at peace with everyone throughout the whole game, and often end up winning with Diplomacy.

Generally I usually go for Crossbows.
If I have crossbows and a target civ doesn't, I feel foolish for not using them. Besides, by the time I have crossbows, I have some DoF to partially shield me from the diplomatic hit. If I have surplus luxuries (through luck and good planning) I can mollify some of the other civs.

However, I don't rule out plucking a juicy city when I have composite bows. In my current game, I am playing Portugal and had planted a city roughly where Morocco normally is. Somehow Arabia got a settler all the way across northern Africa and settled on the north bank of the Gambia, at its mouth. It was a prime location. Within three hexes were gold, silver, oil, horses, two fish, sheep, and more I can't think of.

I hadn't settled there because Askia was proving to be unusually truculent. However, Arabia couldn't possibly defend the city, so I had to make a quick move and comp bows were the best I had. But such situations are, well, situational. Generally I wait for Xbows.

artillery is the changer for me. before that I may have a few small wars, but nothing huge. If I am on a small continent and I know my neighbour is gonna be trouble, I may kill him once I have trebuchets, but generally I try to stay the nice guy as long as possible. Once the bombers and paratroopers are out, it's the end of the world.

It does depend a bit on the civ. When I'm Rome, for example, it just feels like a shame not to use Ballistae and Legions, because, well, Rome.
Generally speaking, late Medieval is where it's at for me personally. Pillage with knights, harass with crossbows, slowly advance and start taking cities. Lovely.

Top Bottom