Scrolling scoreboard inclusion: Poll

Would you like to see the scrolling scoreboard incorporated into Kai's GEM scenarios?

• Yes

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adhesive86

Warlord
Given the amount of people, including myself, who would like a scrolling scoreboard, and that this keeps coming up again and again from new players, I would like to gauge the opinion for including this as part of the GEM mod.

Kai has said that he doesn't want to include it as he feels it could be a 'waste' of space in the download. He could be right, and normally is, but I have a feeling that this would really benefit alot of people, especially the new players and those like myself who are plain rubbish at the modding side of things. Anyway, let's find out.

Of course, Kai provides this superb mod for us all in his free time so whatever the poll says, it is entirely up to him what he does! I have no idea how much work is involved for instance.

I actually didn't meant that the add-on is a waste of space to be included in GEM; I meant it is wasting the visible space in game.

This is what I read from the module's provider thread: the add-on provides a permanent scroll on the right of the screen, even if the list is not extended pass the space provided. This is what makes me hesitate to include in GEM by default, because after all, I don't need the scroll bar myself.

I actually didn't meant that the add-on is a waste of space to be included in GEM; I meant it is wasting the visible space in game.

This is what I read from the module's provider thread: the add-on provides a permanent scroll on the right of the screen, even if the list is not extended pass the space provided. This is what makes me hesitate to include in GEM by default, because after all, I don't need the scroll bar myself.

I see, fair point. Can anyone who has the scoreboard say whether the scores are ALWAYS visible and cannot be minimised or rather just when you turn on the scores option in the bottom right hand corner and this can be switched on and off? If the on/off option is available, I wouldn't think this is much of a problem, but if it permanently takes up the right hand side of the screen then that's a different kettle of fish.

I used to have a problem with the score board getting too large until I was forced to upgrade my computer recently. Clicking on your name on the score list minimizes it, leaving just your name. (eg, Tokugawa if playing as Japan) Pressing Ctrl + I removes the lower user interface, which makes this easier if the scores are past the advisor buttons. The score list is only really a problem on smaller desktop resolutions, such as 1024 * 768 after you've met around 20 other civs, which will happen quite slowly unless you are a European or Middle Eastern civ. I found turning off Vassal States makes the AI want to kill other AI's, rather than just subjugate them.

I vote nay, since I think that the GEM mod should use as few interface mods as possible. Better to strictly distinguish between gameplay and interface modding, this way anyone can easily combine GEM with his favourite interface mods without having to remove anything first.

Best Regards,
Martin

Better to strictly distinguish between gameplay and interface modding, this way anyone can easily combine GEM with his favourite interface mods without having to remove anything first.

Best Regards,
Martin

I see your point. Problem is that for many people, it is not easy at all and they have a scoreboard which doesn't show any of the top civs and don't know what to do about it. I've downloaded Winmerge for instance but don't have a clue what I'm supposed to be merging. I'm going to make an educated guess and probably screw things up.

Personally I do not have any other problem with GEM at all, apart from the MAF fix, which came with a link for detailed instructions, which I and others are/were able to follow.

My feeling is that although we are all amateurs enjoying civ it would be beneficial if somebody who does indeed find such a process easy was to do a 'packaged version' to overcome this common problem for those who are unable to tackle it, or at least provide a list of instructions for this common problem so we can indeed do it ourselves if the change is easy (and this be incorporated in the FAQs). What is easy for an advanced modder like yourself is pure pain for me prodding around in the dark, and perhaps you make the assumption that most others are as fluent in this sort of thing as yourself? Hey, maybe they are and I'm wrong?

I know it probably sounds like I'm being ungrateful and I don't want it to sound that way at all. Just GEM is such a great mod that can be experienced by civ players of all abilities (modding and gameplay). I feel that if GEM is to be best enjoyed by so many people, like it deserves, and not just other modders and those that know how to use WinMerge and what to merge etc, then a modular version designed for your average civver (not your average modder) overcoming this common annoying problem would do the package more justice. If not then please can we put some dummie's help in the FAQs for this? I've prodded around in the scrolling scoreboard forum but don't appear to be having much luck.

I see your point as well. You seem to feel very strongly about this issue, and I respect that.

To be honest, it is not as if I would have any real problems removing such a mod (which would most certainly be python-based, and have little to no XML changes) prior to installing my preferred interface - as should hold true for most people interested in modding the interface.

This might be a reason to decide in favor of the included interface mod, then.

Best Regards,
Martin

:confused: I'm not following: you have a screen big enough to fit 30+ civ names? I reckon most players don't and it's very annoying not to be able to see what the top civs are doing and if you're still no 1... I think you should really reconsider on this.

I have installed BUG just recently and realize there is a setting to easily change the text size of the scoreboard.

So I think including a scrollbar is unnecessary if BUG is installed. Since BUG provides much more interface improvement, I will add BUG to the recommended add-on list.

It seems like BUG could be a possible solution; does it work pretty well? I could imagine changing the size being confusing and perhaps making the text size too small to see, if you're playing a game with many contacted civs (as I am in the amazing 1860 scenario).

If BUG mod has an easy fix, that's fine. If not, perhaps two versions of GEM, with and without the scrolling addition, could be included? I'm with Adhesive in being confused about how to use winmerge and such; GEM is already so above and beyond other mods, it makes sense to make it a little better. Just my $.02.

If you haven't already seen in Kai's generic modifications update, the scrolling scoreboard is set to be included in the next version of GEM. There are set to be around 50 civs!

Thanks everyone for voting.

Top Bottom