The Global Foyer

I think we should straight up ask Amazons and Quatronia about meeting Mavericks. If the map is regular, one of them should've already met them. Also, does anyone know if we can get trade routes to the others with just sailing? We would need sight of just one of their cities, right?

I have sent the letter to Team Amazon - and this is then the draft for Team CDZ. I do not wish to assume that it is okay to send it, but if there is any more information we wish to divulge to them we can always just include it in a future missive too. What's important now, in my humble opinion your Majesty, is to initiate the contact so as to not appear aloof to them.

On behalf of His Majesty, Emperor Indiansmoke I, Team Merlot greet the glorious Team CDZ!

We are honoured to meet your people, and we are looking forward to receiving your diplomats in our lands for future negotiations. Emperor Indiansmoke I would like to state Merlots good intentions, and we extend our hope for a peaceful and mutually beneficial future for nations!

His Majesty extends his warmest wishes for negotiations for treaties and trade agreements, and your diplomatic envoys will be welcomed to Merlot Island.

Sir Caledorn
Imperial Diplomat of Merlot
on behalf of Emperor Indiansmoke I

I have sent the letter to Team Amazon - and this is then the draft for Team CDZ. I do not wish to assume that it is okay to send it, but if there is any more information we wish to divulge to them we can always just include it in a future missive too. What's important now, in my humble opinion your Majesty, is to initiate the contact so as to not appear aloof to them.

On behalf of His Majesty, Emperor Indiansmoke I, Team Merlot greet the glorious Team CDZ!

We are honoured to meet your people, and we are looking forward to receiving your diplomats in our lands for future negotiations. Emperor Indiansmoke I would like to state Merlots good intentions, and we extend our hope for a peaceful and mutually beneficial future for nations!

His Majesty extends his warmest wishes for negotiations for treaties and trade agreements, and your diplomatic envoys will be welcomed to Merlot Island.

Sir Caledorn

sounds good :)

All envoys have been dispatched. :)

And, I'm happy to report that I have received an envoy from Team Quatronia today with the following letter:

Dear Sir Caledorn of Merlot:
We are glad to hear your great experiment in monarchy is doing well, and indeed thriving. While we believe that trading resources might not be possible until astronomy, we look forward to the day we can kick back by popping open an imported bottle of the finest from the vineyards of Merlot.

In regards to technology trading, what did you have in mind? We are very eager to get some beneficial trades going between our two peoples. If you could give us an idea of what you are looking to trade for we could get the ball rolling.

Ambassador CharlemagneXLII,
The Continuum,
Quatronia.

Persians already have Alphabet! We need to send them a letter and ask their intentions for trades.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 66
That would be the case if our capital's culture was on coast water, now we are on ocean so not so sure.

I checked and our culture being on ocean doesn't matter, theirs still does though. It's funny, because it means asymmetric trade routes are possible (ships sell their goods, deliver money by magic and get lost at sea on the way back?).
This has two implications for us: we won't have trade routes with our competitors' islands pre-astronomy, and should refrain from signing open borders until the other party has a mainland city, since overseas trade routes are big.

Thanks for checking Fktor, it does seem indeed that until we both settle overseas we will have no trade routes.

Now regarding the diplo front. It seems that Persia, India and the Dutch have made a 3 way tech exchange deal. We don't know at this point how far this deal extends, but it does not look good.

Being left out of tech deals is a killer in diplo games so we must consider now carefully what we will do.

We need to gather more info on the situation and I think this calls for a direct enquiring letter to Persia. We should ask them formally what their intentions are, if they think of us as a future ally or not.

Also an alliance with the vikings must be considered as well, if they are indeed in a 3 way deal then we propably have no other choice.

How have you discovered the information regarding this three-way tech trade, Your Majesty? That is disturbing news indeed!

I am working on a formal letter to the Persians now - it should be done sometime today for your review.

I would again like to state that at this point I definitely would like to employ one aide for diplomacy work - so if there are any interested nobles, please send me a PM.

Please review the draft for the next diplomatic letter to Team Amazon, Your Majesty, and my fellow nobles:

Formal greetings to the Amazon nation from Emperor Indiansmoke I of Merlot!

I hope this letter arrives on a sunny and wonderful day, and that your nation is growing and thriving!

His Majesty has asked me to inquire what potential technology trades your nation might be interested in, or even if your nation could be interested in a treaty of mutual scientific assistance?

Also, His Majesty would like to know what your stand on a possible alliance between our nations might be? With so much of the world uncharted, and our nations being so close together, His Majesty is hoping that you can see the wisdom of considering such an idea.

We are eagerly awaiting your reply!

Sir Caledorn

Do not forget that we need to reply to Team Quatronia - they seem quite friendly in their missives to us. At the present we can't trade with them since neither of our nations have Alphabet - but nonetheless, it would be helpful to be prepared, in case for instance the Persians are willing to trade Alphabet to us (however unlikely -that- might be...).

I saw the score in increases in civstats, it is obvious that they all exchanged techs.

First lets reply to Amazon saying that we indeed are interested in working together, but we are a bit consirned with the 3 way tech trades going on and if we are to come to an agreement we would like to know what the status of this is. Is there an already formed alliance?

Also lets reply to quatronia telling them that we are worried about this 3 way tech trade and ask them what they think.

Something like this then:

I hope this letter arrives on a sunny and wonderful day, and that your nation is growing and thriving!

It has come to the attention of His Majesty that it appears that your nation has engaged in trading technologies with both Netherlands and India, and I have been asked to inquire whether your nation has allied with these nations? Our nation is interested in working together with yours, but this possible early exchange of technologies is a bit concerning to His Majesty.

We eagerly await your reply!

Sir Caledorn

And this for Quatronia:

On behalf of Emperor Indiansmoke I, I greet you Ambassador CharlemagneXLII, and the nation of Quatronia.

It appears that the nations of Persia, India and Netherlands has engaged in a technology trading agreement of some sorts between their three nations. This is cause for some concern, and His Majesty would like to know what your thoughts on this is?

The scientists of Merlot currently aren't skilled enough to share technologies with other nations, but as soon as we're ready to engage in technology trading we will be more than interested to sit down in discussions with your nation to see if we can come to a mutually beneficial agreement of exchanging technologies!

Sir Caledorn

Something like this then:

It has come to the attention of His Majesty that it appears that your nation has engaged in trading technologies with both Persia and India, and I have been asked to inquire whether your nation has allied with these nations? Our nation is interested in working together with yours, but this possible early exchange of technologies is a bit concerning to His Majesty.

Sir Caledorn

with some edits

Our nation has the best of intentions in working together with yours short term but long term as well. We are seeking for allies in this hostile world and the fearless Amazons are indeed a nation that we could ally with.

However, It has come to the attention of His Majesty that your nation has engaged in trading technologies with both the Dutch and India. This rush to get to Alpabet and the 3 way tech exchange makes us believe that you have already been in talks with the other nations for a long time and we wonder whether you reached diplomatic deals with these other nations.

We humbly ask you to clarify the situation.

Sir Caledorn
on behalf of Emperor Indiansmoke

with some edits

-snip-

The envoy has been sent with your modifications to the letter, Your Majesty :)

Do you have any modifications that should be made for the letter to Quatronia, or should I go ahead and send it?

We have received a letter from Team CDZ:

Greetings Sir Caledorn.

Let me on behalf of all of CDZ extend a warm greeting to the people of Merlot. We too are looking for friendship and cooperation and would be happy to do so with Merlot.

To start us off we would like to offer a treaty to freely share our knowledge of our worlds geography and of the various nations we may meet. Let us know if that offer sounds good to you.

Regards
Robi of CDZ

We have received a letter from Team Sirius too:

The Sirian people extend our greetings to the Kingdom of Merlot. Our intrepid explorer Voyager has reported to us a sighting of an impressively large ship from your Kingdom. We are honored to meet you and look forward to years of peace between our two nations. The Sirian people are inherently curious about this world around us, and are always looking to learn more. We have pieced together a fair picture of our world, and its grand intelligent design. We look forward to learning about you, and your view of this world, to make our picture all the more complete.

The nation of Sirius may always be contacted at sirius.mtdg@gmail.com. We anticipate eagerly our correspondence with your kingdom.

-Grant2004, on behalf of team Sirius

I will prepare an initial draft for a greeting letter to Team Sirius later today.

His Majesty's guidance is needed for drafting a response to Team CDZ, so I will await your response in this regards.

Also - might it be a good idea to separate this Diplomacy Thread into two threads? One for listing up the letters we receive, and one for discussing them? Or is it easier to keep it all in one thread? I'm afraid some things might drown in this thread, since I expect diplomacy to be quite a busy part of the government judging by how things are looking so far. I have, however, tried to make things a bit clearer by adding a bold-faced status to the letters that have been received and sent, to quicker review what work is still pending.

Top Bottom