SGOTM 15 - One Short Straw

Do we know for a fact that zero Barb Cities exist? Like, do we know that there couldn't have been a Barb City at the start of the game, say, as the home to the Mahabodhi (Buddhist Holy Shrine)?
Yes.

EDITED:

We can tell there are no barb cities because our population percent is a percent of the world population, including barb cities. The number of resolution votes given on the F8 screen, however, only includes OSS + AIs. So:
OSSPop / OSSPop% = OSSPop + AIPop + BarbPop

TotalResolutionVotes = OSSPop + AIPop​
So when
OSSPop / OSSPop% = TotalResolutionVotes, then BarbPop = 0

or

BarbPop = (OSSPop / OSSPop%) - TotalResolutionVotes​
BarbPop has been = 0 since T0.

Btw, we see the AI city with the Mahabodhi Shrine on the Top FIve Cities screen every turn.

No offense, but that sound dangerous for two reasons:
a) The screen has yet to update with the "Press Enter to end turn" message or else you get so used to pressing Enter you don't think to look for it, then you end the turn after having moved the units but not after having done everything that you had planned to do in the turn (such as switching build items in Cities, as one example)

b) You'll be going until there are 0 units left to be moved, such that anyone who opens the saved game can accidentally non-reversible advance the turn by accidentally pressing either the Spacebar key or the Enter key, which (especially the Spacebar key) is easy enough to do

Personally, I make liberal use of the "w" (for wait) key, which goes hand-in-hand with unit cycling turned on (which, being the default setting, is something that everyone has at least used, if not being the only setting that they have used), since you can keep pressing "w" when there is only one unit remaining to be moved, so that you know you have only 1 unit remaining to be moved and can save and submit the turn at that point, to avoid accidental mis-types ending the turn when others are looking at the saved game (or even yourself doing it when you are reviewing other screens before ending the turn, such as the F4 screens).
It's dead easy once you're used to it. I suspect w also works in this role. It's just whatever you're used to.

I agree we need more workers. It's almost tempting me to have a go at SH-in-Delhi again.
I'm trying to build a second worker in Zlatorog atm after Stonehenge, with one chop. This has some costs - most notably some pasture turns in Gems.

LC has shown that we can make the Construction sling work in a reasonable time with 4 workers. How about keeping his worker MM but building a fifth worker in Zlatorog the slow way while working the gold tile. This new worker can improve the deer and do worker chores in the NW while our current four-worker-crew can continue to develop our core cities and eastward toward Toku.

I've also been thinking that Gems City should build a WB right away (assuming we know Fishing). As ZPV said, Gems City is never going to be a production power house, so it doesn't really need a barracks. Marble city will have a lot of production once it grows into all of the mines. It would be nice if Marble city could start on a granary...

LC has shown that we can make the Construction sling work in a reasonable time with 4 workers. How about keeping his worker MM but building a fifth worker in Zlatorog the slow way while working the gold tile. This new worker can improve the deer and do worker chores in the NW while our current four-worker-crew can continue to develop our core cities and eastward toward Toku.

I've also been thinking that Gems City should build a WB right away (assuming we know Fishing). As ZPV said, Gems City is never going to be a production power house, so it doesn't really need a barracks. Marble city will have a lot of production once it grows into all of the mines. It would be nice if Marble city could start on a granary...

I think you're right. I've also been fiddling around with two 1-pop whips as well, but that doesn't seem to give us any advantage.
I expect Gem City will whip the WB at size 3, since it doesn't really have more good tiles.

I definitely want to change the road patterns - there's no way we should be roading the deer if we don't have to - we can move+road any other tile on the same turn.
EDIT: I see. We just won't have The Wheel in time, so that's the move that makes sense.
Apart from that, I'll study LC's worker actions, and write up a PPP.

Pre-play-plan, turns 47-Writing or Stonehenge BIFAL.

Delhi: Settler(-Library), natural MM.
Gold-E: Warrior-Worker; up to 6 hammers for the last turn of the warrior; back to normal after that.
Zlatorog: Stonehenge(-Warrior). Stay on the gold.

Worker actions:
The Zlatorog worker will move-chop, then chop Z-West completely, returning to chop the last 2 turns of Z-South.
The other two workers will: mine the gold, copper. Then prechop Delhi SE, then prechop Delhi 2E. One goes north to chop Delhi 2E1N; the other finishes the chops D-2E and D-SE.

Warrior actions: stay in place. If there's a scary barb to the south, retreat to culture - we can use both warriors on defensive terrain to kill it, once we've settled Gems City.

Stopping points:
Meet a new civ.
Stonehenge built somewhere.
Something weird.

EDIT: I see. We just won't have The Wheel in time, so that's the move that makes sense.
Exactly. We'll waste a turn moving to the deer eventually and that worker has nothing to do that turn, while waiting for TW. So the deer can be camped later on without losing a turn and we also connect Delhi to Gold-E Locks several turns sooner this way and automatically connect Delhi and Zlatorog to the marble and copper when the marble is roaded.

What to build in Zlatorog after SH is a bit of a riddle. I've been starting with a warrior because it has no defenses whatsoever. I haven't been sending it ou exploring, but I think we really ought to continue our exploration as much as we can. On the other hand, another worker is quite attractive.

What I've been assuming we'd do though, is build a granary there asap, followed by camping the deer so it can grow. It will also become a very nice production site. So on T65 I've been sending a worker there to speed up the granary with one chop and then camp the deer so that the granary is full by the time Zlatorog grows to pop2. (Same with Marble/Crabs and Deer/Cows btw.) At that time we'll be able to afford not working the gold anyway. I assume we'd also want to farm a river tile or two for faster growth, then build and work mines.

So I'm not sure how all that fits with the initial Zlatorog builds after SH.

Another consideration that I'm not sure about is whether to build these granaries before or after we build a set of cats and axes. Since we're probably in for a long haul and we have the chops available, we should probably chop the granaries first because that gets us to working the mines and poprushing much sooner.

Exactly. We'll waste a turn moving to the deer eventually and that worker has nothing to do that turn, while waiting for TW. So the deer can be camped later on without losing a turn and we also connect Delhi to Gold-E Locks several turns sooner this way and automatically connect Delhi and Zlatorog to the marble and copper when the marble is roaded.

What to build in Zlatorog after SH is a bit of a riddle. I've been starting with a warrior because it has no defenses whatsoever. I haven't been sending it ou exploring, but I think we really ought to continue our exploration as much as we can. On the other hand, another worker is quite attractive.

What I've been assuming we'd do though, is build a granary there asap, followed by camping the deer so it can grow. It will also become a very nice production site. So on T65 I've been sending a worker there to speed up the granary with one chop and then camp the deer so that the granary is full by the time Zlatorog grows to pop2. (Same with Marble/Crabs and Deer/Cows btw.) At that time we'll be able to afford not working the gold anyway. I assume we'd also want to farm a river tile or two for faster growth, then build and work mines.

So I'm not sure how all that fits with the initial Zlatorog builds after SH.

Another consideration that I'm not sure about is whether to build these granaries before or after we build a set of cats and axes. Since we're probably in for a long haul and we have the chops available, we should probably chop the granaries first because that gets us to working the mines and poprushing much sooner.

I see us building + chopping granaries while growing Delhi to ~pop6, Gold to ~pop4, and then they poprush a settler and worker for the deer-cow site, with overflow finishing the granaries if necessary and making a start on raxes. (In case anyone is wondering, rax = Barracks). Then we'll churn out the cats and axes pretty quickly - those two cities are very powerful.

mmmmmmm bacon
There's nothing like putting things in perspective.

One last thing to check:
I think I'll go 0%-100%--50%-100%, to give us 100% research the first turn of The Wheel, but also to maximize the beakers we get in Stonehenge is BIFAL.

Here we go.
Turnset report, t47-?
t47
stuff happens as planned.
IBT:
Stonehenge BIFAL.

lol that was quick.

Spoiler upload log :
Here is your Session Turn Log from 2120 BC to 2080 BC:

Turn 47, 2120 BC: Gold-E Locks has grown to size 2.
Turn 47, 2120 BC: You are the worst enemy of Tokugawa, Hammuragawa.
Turn 47, 2120 BC: Stonehenge has been built in a far away land!

Top Bottom