Which Forest tiles do you chop? - Some Guidelines

Another thing. Always chop immediately around your city. The AI is smart enough to attack from tiles with defense bonuses. With just plains and grasslands around the city counter attacks are much more effective.

Lord Chambers said:
Priority 1: Chop everything adjacent to a river. This is to take advantage of the +1 commerce from river squares which you will not get with a forest on the square. You also may need the space for farms before Civil Service.

Not very important; but adding a lumbermill gets you back that "missing" point of river-commerce.

Carewolf said:
Another thing. Always chop immediately around your city. The AI is smart enough to attack from tiles with defense bonuses. With just plains and grasslands around the city counter attacks are much more effective.

That's usually the first thing I do when I settle a new city. :)

It's amazing my OP was over 2 years ago! I've had a kid since then...!

Anyway, I just updated the post to reflect a few changed to chopping and forests in the various patches etc (i.e. health is now .5 per forest rather than .4).

I've looked back through that list of guidelines and I pretty much still stand by them 2 years later after many many games since I first wrote them down. They're common sense now, really, but it's good to put down tried and tested advice for others.

chop all forest in the 8 tiles around the city.
i dont want the enemies get def bonus when they stay nearby my city and bomb the wall

Top Bottom