The benefits of avoiding bronze working

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it's always interesting to read alternative strategies, you lost me OP when you said BW is map dependent. The value of Slavery alone is enough to make it worthwhile on any map. It's that powerful. Most experienced high level players just simply won't agree with many of your points.

Furthermore, the value of Feud and Serfdom is extremely low in most situations with maybe the exception of Marathon speed. LBs are only interesting in a possible Oracle>Feud Sitting Bull gambit.

Can you please just go play a couple Deity starts so you can realize how wrong you are..... Yes I read the vast majority of your article. No your tech path is not more efficient, yes you save beakers. But you waste time, and are not able to work as many cottages. You are absolutely butt funked if there is to much jungle. Next the map will ALWAYS sync with the Bronze Working approach as you call it. No you do not get better bulbs with the GS. You get the same exact bulbs that you would open via ignoring Machinery, which is a much weaker tech than Bronze Working unless you are Treb rushing.

I wouldn't be able to find another article even if there is one. But there has been S&T discussions on this before I believe. But those are older than dirt, and are gone. You still don't understand what dogma is. There is no religion, group, or organization preaching to use Bronze Working. It is not a belief that you can't win on Deity with out Slavery unless you run a cheese strat with a cheese start. It is just a simple fact that you can't out produce the AI, or expand enough to get to a point where you won't lose in the BCs with out it.

I am dismissing your argument because you have yet to provide any actual evidence that skipping Bronze Working helps your empire.

I guess the obvious solution would be for Brennus. Quigley to play one of the IU games (of which there are plenty) to directly compare the non-BW strategy against the games that have already been posted. Its pretty easy to make assertions one way or another but the most compelling argument is evidence.

Playing comparable maps is fair. Keep in mind that 1) I am more than happy to go Bronze Working early—even the first tech I research—on a map that calls for it, and 2) I am focused on leading my civilization to a victory, not necessarily having a high score by gambling on a war conquest/domination approach when it is not required. I define success by percentage of ALL random starts that are won, not by highest score or type of victory. I've seen videos of Deity players rolling 10 maps of a specific type before they actually accept one and I'm there thinking, "Even if they win this one, they are only winning 10% of the time on a specific type of map!"

So I was intrigued with the IU games (although I might actually prefer a Deity game since the Deity players are so dismissive), but then was certainly disappointed when I opened up the Pericles intro screen and saw "(note not the first start as we got a plains cow start on first)" and opened up the Victoria screen and saw (Rolled afew Oasis starts but didn't like any)". So it appears as if non-Bronze Working maps are being rejected by the creator of the series, so what's the point? Can you imagine a civilization is born in 4000 BC next to some oases or cows and the leader tells his people, "Sorry guys, I just don't know what to do in this situation. I'm going to magically fly off to a new world. You guys are on your own."

I've read enough outstanding comments on this forum from people like Mylene, Zx Zero Zx, Pigswill or Lymond to respect their opinions. However, I can think of a few of starts where an early BW would not necessarily be vital to your strategy (e.g. a great plains map, spawning in the hill region or in the middle of the plains, etc.). Sometimes there are not enough forests around and not enough food to make whipping viable. Your cities would rather be good at production (or have happy minerals). I'm also assuming that the OP techs Archery early. The question is: can you get to Feudalism this way earlier than the AI on a consistent basis and can you utilize the tech as soon as you have it (for an early vassal)? (I'm thinking of PS powered HAs / siege / longbows.) How would the lack of an early Academy or the lack of scientist bulbs affect your tech pace?

EDIT: Why don't you roll up a suitable start on Immortal and post the game so that we can all play it?

Well your comment about re-rolling maps for Deity is not very respectful either...if you'd have played on that diff. yet, you just like us wouldn't always be in the mood for every craptastic start.
On bad deity starts you have to think loads, which just doesn't always fit into playing a game.
So you'd be wise to hold back a bit here.

While it's always interesting to read alternative strategies, you lost me OP when you said BW is map dependent. The value of Slavery alone is enough to make it worthwhile on any map. It's that powerful

The relative value of slavery compared to other labor civics is diminished if you 1) only have a little bit of food, 2) want to grow your cities, or 3) are not in a desperate rush to whip up an army. Do you disagree with any of that?

Most experienced high level players just simply won't agree with many of your points.

Fine by me.

Furthermore, the value of Feud and Serfdom is extremely low in most situations with maybe the exception of Marathon speed. LBs are only interesting in a possible Oracle>Feud Sitting Bull gambit.

Why are people so focused on the Stone wonder Feudalism gambit? That's only one possible option that is opened up by avoiding Bronze Working, and it requires stone and enough attractive non-forested tiles to improve and work.

Can you please just go play a couple Deity starts so you can realize how wrong you are.....

Already said I would play some Deity after finishing my Joao II peaceful space victory. Now that IS a cool map (never had a start like it). And yes, I went Bronze Working/Slavery early.

Yes I read the vast majority of your article. No your tech path is not more efficient, yes you save beakers. But you waste time, and are not able to work as many cottages. You are absolutely butt funked if there is to much jungle.

I save time. Again, I think you are only playing the type of map that syncs with your style and that is clouding your judgement. In your mind the river start has lots of forests that need to be chopped. Not all river starts do. There are often times quite enough unforested river tiles to cottage. And then I would agree that if you need to expand into the jungle then that is a very good reason to dive into the metal path early, but that just emphasizes my point: going the metal path early is map dependent.

No you do not get better bulbs with the GS. You get the same exact bulbs that you would open via ignoring Machinery, which is a much weaker tech than Bronze Working unless you are Treb rushing.

I already had this back and forth with Mylene on the Serfdom thread. You and him are wrong. Avoiding Machinery takes out the Optics line, Printing Press line, and Engineering line. But avoiding Bronze Working also takes out Bronze Working (120), Iron Working (200), Metal Casting (450), and Compass (400). That's a savings of 1170 beakers, more than Philosophy (800), Civil Service (800), and Paper (600). You scoff at being 1170 beakers closer to Liberalism?

There is no religion, group, or organization preaching to use Bronze Working. It is not a belief that you can't win on Deity with out Slavery unless you run a cheese strat with a cheese start. It is just a simple fact that you can't out produce the AI, or expand enough to get to a point where you won't lose in the BCs with out it.

You are a full-fledged member of the "Bronze Working must be teched early" religion and like to dogmatically shut down those who disagree with you by trying to "pull rank", oversimplify the argument so that it is easier to counter, and act in a dismissive manner.

I am dismissing your argument

I know! But that's your loss, not mine!

Well your comment about re-rolling maps for Deity is not very respectful either...if you'd have played on that diff. yet, you just like us wouldn't always be in the mood for every craptastic start.

You only think it's a "craptastic start" because you don't know how to play it.

I've read enough outstanding comments on this forum from people like Mylene, Zx Zero Zx, Pigswill or Lymond to respect their opinions. However, I can think of a few of starts where an early BW would not necessarily be vital to your strategy (e.g. a great plains map, spawning in the hill region or in the middle of the plains, etc.). Sometimes there are not enough forests around and not enough food to make whipping viable. Your cities would rather be good at production (or have happy minerals). I'm also assuming that the OP techs Archery early. The question is: can you get to Feudalism this way earlier than the AI on a consistent basis and can you utilize the tech as soon as you have it (for an early vassal)? (I'm thinking of PS powered HAs / siege / longbows.) How would the lack of an early Academy or the lack of scientist bulbs affect your tech pace?

EDIT: Why don't you roll up a suitable start on Immortal and post the game so that we can all play it?

UnforcedError, you are a gentleman and an open-minded, analytical thinker. In reply: 1) The GE Feudalism gambit is just one non-Bronze Working option, and even if you do that a Great Scientist for an academy is relatively easy afterward as Great Scientist points are easier to generate than Great Engineer points. If you're trying to get over to Guilds, however, a second Great Engineer for Machinery is attractive.
3) I'll be happy to roll one of these starts and share it after I complete the Joao II game I am in. I have a newborn in the house and a dissertation to complete, so I will need a little patience.

UnforcedError, you are a gentleman and an open-minded, analytical thinker.
Thank you very much, although I don't think anyone has ever called me a "gentleman" before (btw I think Mylene's a woman too.) ;)
In reply: 1) The GE Feudalism gambit is just one non-Bronze Working option, and even if you do that a Great Scientist for an academy is relatively easy afterward as Great Scientist points are easier to generate than Great Engineer points. If you're trying to get over to Guilds, however, a second Great Engineer for Machinery is attractive.
Sure. But Feudalism, Machinery and Guilds would generally be techs that the AI favors, so I wouldn't necessarily tech / bulb them early unless I could immediately capitalize on them. And a GS bulbs more beakers than an engineer so that alone makes a GS bulbing line more favorable (again: in general).
3) I'll be happy to roll one of these starts and share it after I complete the Joao II game I am in. I have a newborn in the house and a dissertation to complete, so I will need a little patience.
Congratulations on the baby and good luck with your dissertation :) I'd be happy to shadow your next game then.

(btw I think Mylene's a woman too.)

That would explain the picture. Sorry, Mylene.

Sure. But Feudalism, Machinery and Guilds would generally be techs that the AI favors, so I wouldn't necessarily tech / bulb them early unless I could immediately capitalize on them. And a GS bulbs more beakers than an engineer so that alone makes a GS bulbing line more favorable (again: in general).

True, but employing Great Engineer bulbing tactics allows you to beat them to all of those, and of course, the point of doing so is to capitalize on that. As you note, one should have a specific reason to go for the second Great Engineer because one academy in your science city is important (the first GE is easy off of the stone wonder). But just imagine you are neighboring someone with a horse or elephant based army. Directly bulbing up to Engineering is huge (first GE for machinery, second for Engineering). Or imagine you are Joao II and you're getting boxed in. First GE for Machinery, second for Optics, and you're off. Or imagine you're Justinian with horses and you got some neighbors. I would be heading straight for Guilds. But yes, I love me some Great Scientists too.

Congratulations on the baby and good luck with your dissertation I'd be happy to shadow your next game then.

We'll do it. Do you think we should invite the leaders of the Bronze Working Early Every Map (BWEEM) cult to join us?

We'll do it. Do you think we should invite the leaders of the Bronze Working Early Every Map (BWEEM) cult to join us?
Most definitely, since that would enable us to compare the efficiency of the different strategies.

I actually just read this through. Since you don't state anywhere BW is bad or not powerful I must apologize for my behaviour in one other thread.

Random thoughts on Slavery:

Every once in a blue moon I play start in which it happens that Slavery is of no use. Still, those situations are pretty rare. Whenever you have 5 or more food tile, you can whip. Still, some dry rice starts and crappy land can make whips not so appealing.

Rarely, there are no forrests too, but I don't need too many forrests, I only need several of them early enough to grab some land and that is pretty much enough of a reason to go for BW.

You get to know where copper is. Axemen are good for safety and barb control. If you get them. You also know where is AI's copper or where to settle to deny them of copper and kill them easier, sometimes.

Sometimes you suffer an unexpected DoW. No matter how much food you have then, you whip and stay alive. Although with good diplo this can be totally avoided and didn't happen to me for a while. But still.

Your cities are growing beyond happy cap? WHIP! Never use halt growth. That generates too much entropy.

Situations in which you don't have food, forests or copper are pretty rare on maps I typically play (Fractal, Pangaea, Continents, Archipelago). Therefore, because of all the benefits of BW, I find going for BW is the most versatile approach and fits most situations.

I'll usually research BW after working techs. It allows me to have faster opening with faster settlers and workers and for me, mostly because of chops. I also get the opportunity to get solid barb defender if land is not fogbustable with warriors. If it proves I don't have copper anywhere near, I go Archery, something many people here scorn. Sole opportunity of getting Axemen is sometimes enough for me to go BW. With aggressive leaders Axe rushes can work on deity too.

Ok, a bit about your startegy now.

I think it is flawed because it doesn't take into account how much of a handicap not settling copper or iron can be.
Also, you focus on faster Lib while actually you want Lib as late as possible. And I usually want something big that requires BW. If I don't Lib MT, Steel, or Rifling, Lib is of little value to me. You say you save beakers to Liberalism, but you also lose lot of beakers of potential trades, far more than you save (Metal Casting, IW, Compass all easily traded for). I almost never self tech them. Ok, I play Deity so AIs tech fast, but on lower difficulties you usually want to Lib something really big like Railroad or AL and then you need BW and many more techs requiring BW.

You also mention GEs from wonders. Well, it if you want higher probability for getting that wonder, you chop and whip. So you also rely on stone. Building Mids without stone is just a bad play. You'll almost always do better with settlers/workers, infra or military. But you'll usually lose them without stone to someone anyway.

I maybe don't make much sense (newborn here too, and something like dissertation too).

What I wanted to say is that going for BW is usually the most versatile approach, and that your No BW/save the forrests approach would profit from BW too.

Your strategy seems viable to me on Great Plains map where you start in plains part with 3-4 plains cows and no other food, very close stone, horses for protection so you don't need metal units.

And that is just too "particular" start to have its own strategy.

<snip>
You get to know where copper is. Axemen are good for safety and barb control. If you get them. You also know where is AI's copper or where to settle to deny them of copper and kill them easier, sometimes.

Sometimes you suffer an unexpected DoW. No matter how much food you have then, you whip and stay alive. Although with good diplo this can be totally avoided and didn't happen to me for a while. But still.

Your cities are growing beyond happy cap? WHIP! Never use halt growth. That generates too much entropy.
<snip>
^^ this.

I wanted to satisfy my curiosity and rolled up a few great plains starts WBed in stone and tried for longbow / HA rushes on Immortal. Some observations:

1. Feudalism comes seriously late with this method even with PHIL or IND, so your window of opportunity is very small (we can safely assume that it's close to non-existent on Deity). (In comparison oracling Feudalism is not even that difficult to do if you spawn in the GP mineral region, does not deny you BW and leaves you much more time for preparations.)

2. Not being able to use emergency / opportunity whips can be fairly deadly. (But then again maybe the OP is much better at spawnbusting then me.)

3. You don't really need Rep because you don't have too much food so PS is the way to go if you landed the Mids for the GE. (I found it's virtually impossible to grow an engineer from the HG in time.)

So in fact I think if you want an early vassal then oracling Feud is better but if you want the Mids then even the Oracle --> MC --> GE gambit is occasionally faster then slow-building the Mids as you suggested. In general. But then again I'd really like to see a map that you deem appropriate for your proposed strategy.

I didn't play either scenario until Lib (in some I wouldn't have even got it first) but as a gut feel I'd say forgoing BW to get a "faster" Liberalism is only viable if you don't need BW / IW / MC and any other tech that require them (and that's a lot). What do you choose to Lib with this method usually?

I am looking from my perspective when I joined this forum. I didn't know who is who on the forum and started reading Strategy articles. Didn't know many strategies were misleading at least but got a feeling after I played more serious games.

Point is, people who just joined this forum think these articles have high authority. Giving them and author a second opinion from pretty solid player without flaming will probably make them evaluate whole this strategy better.

Moderator Action: Quote removed as post was deleted.

I think that the BW discussion is important to have every now and then.
As the best tech in the game, we can sometimes tend to take it abit too much for granted.

I am looking from my perspective when I joined this forum. I didn't know who is who on the forum and started reading Strategy articles. Didn't know many strategies were misleading at least but got a feeling after I played more serious games.

Point is, people who just joined this forum think these articles have high authority. Giving them and author a second opinion from pretty solid player without flaming will probably make them evaluate whole this strategy better.

Very good point!

As it is now, skipping BW is by a wast majority of skilled people considered highly risky and unorthodox, with very doubious possible benefits.

The discussion helps to clarify this.

<snip>
I agree, especially as the author did not attack anyone or any of the generally favored tactics. It's just more of a very much 'niche strategy' he presented here. Besides I don't believe in glorifying only those tactics that work on Deity. Every level has its own set of possible strategies. (E.g. warrior rushing half the map on Noble is fine but will not work on Deity, whileas teching Aesthetics for trade purposes early on Noble makes no sense as the AI might only get Alpha around 500 AD etc etc.)

^^ :)
I know I've managed to bulb with GSs towards Engineering once or twice (with Gandhi, who else) and along that path you can also bulb (into) CS with a GM. Of course that path has to avoid Fishing which is in fact generally not easy to do (either because of seafood or because of Calendar resources, coastal traderoutes etc). With bulbing chains you always have to make some sacrifices, and foregoing BW for too long is just too much for the most commonly played maps (Pangea, Fractal, Achipelago etc). The other question is exactly the same that was on discussion in the thread you were referring to: Is it worth using a GE for a bulb or do you want to build a wonder with it? (Same as the question: use a GM for a bulb or for a trade mission?) In the end GSs will always be better for bulbs because of the higher amounts of beakers they can bulb you.

I actually just read this through. Since you don't state anywhere BW is bad or not powerful I must apologize for my behaviour in one other thread.

Apology accepted. And your analytical, cordial response here is most welcome.

Situations in which you don't have food, forests or copper are pretty rare on maps I typically play

Sure. But 1) they do exist; and 2) I don't have that high of a threshold. Food can be used for things other than slavery (specialists, growing cities, building workers and settlers). Having and keeping some forests is just fine sometimes. They have early, mid, and late game benefits, not to mention the fact that they can always be chopped later in sync with a later surge. Granted, it is certainly attractive to chop forests from river banks early, especially of you're ready to work them, but not all starts have that in abundance or at all (lake starts). Chopping forests off of hills can be a good play for an increase to early production, but if you got a lot of bare hills to mine early you don't need to. I think we would both agree that a hill with a lumber mill and railroad is better than a hill with a mine and a railroad (same production, +.5 health). And then copper is a gamble. Of course, calculated gambling is fine sometimes, but if one is more interested in winning every map that is rolled without rerolling or reloading (as I am) then gambling is a bit less attractive than if one is just recklessly abandoning one civ after another and then sitting back and feeling good after leading only a portion of your civilizations to victory.

Sometimes you suffer an unexpected DoW. No matter how much food you have then, you whip and stay alive.

As I've already stated, slavery is attractive anytime you are in a desperate rush to whip up an army, whether that war be offensive or defensive in nature.

Although with good diplo this can be totally avoided and didn't happen to me for a while. But still.

Good diplomacy is a great way to avoid an early war. One can also protect oneself with archery based units, horse based units, elephant based units, catapults, and walls.

I would agree that you should only rarely halt growth by not working high yield food tiles. But there are several ways to raise the happy cap. If you are doing so, then having some forests raises the health cap as well. Since there are other things that can be done with the food (settlers and workers) one also doesn't need to go over the happy cap.

Sole opportunity of getting Axemen is sometimes enough for me to go BW. With aggressive leaders Axe rushes can work on deity too.

Yes, it is "sometimes enough". No disagreement. It's also a gamble.

Also, you focus on faster Lib while actually you want Lib as late as possible. And I usually want something big that requires BW. If I don't Lib MT, Steel, or Rifling, Lib is of little value to me. You say you save beakers to Liberalism, but you also lose lot of beakers of potential trades, far more than you save (Metal Casting, IW, Compass all easily traded for). I almost never self tech them. Ok, I play Deity so AIs tech fast, but on lower difficulties you usually want to Lib something really big like Railroad or AL and then you need BW and many more techs requiring BW.

Well, one doesn't want to reach Liberalism so late that someone else has already gotten it! But that would be a "gotcha" response. I'm sure your point is that you want to get the best free tech you can with it. So the further up the tech tree one goes, the more valuable the techs get. But also the earlier you get that free tech, the earlier you can take advantage of it. There's a balance to strike. Be the first to get it. Get a valuable tech. Take advantage of that valuable tech. As to your favorite 3 techs to lib: 1) it shows that you are warmongering in every game if high value non-military techs are not of interest to you. That's fine, but it's not my approach to do that every game. 2) One of your warmongering techs you like to lib (MT) doesn't require Bronze Working. 3) It is still possible to get your other two sooner (and in a more guaranteed manner) by holding off on Bronze Working. As you mention, Bronze Working, Metal Casting, etc. are easily traded for. Go ahead. After you've taken advantage of the efficient Liberalism bulb, there is no real reason to not start accumulating the metal line, specifically that which is needed for the Liberalism tech that you want. Enjoy your mid game chops that you are not used to. You should now also be a little more comfortable knowing that Liberalism is in the bag. I usually am. I imagine that Rifling or Steel with Liberalism are not guaranteed plays on Deity. If you've ever just lost Liberalism by a few turns, imagine how helpful that 1170 savings and direct Great Scientist bulb might have been. Could have got a least something of value for yourself and kept the AI tech leader from extending his or her lead.

You also mention GEs from wonders. Well, it if you want higher probability for getting that wonder, you chop and whip.

If I'm interested in Machinery or rushing a marble wonder, then I'll happily do that.

Building Mids without stone is just a bad play. You'll almost always do better with settlers/workers, infra or military. But you'll usually lose them without stone to someone anyway.

There must be some confusion here. I almost never go for an early stone wonder without stone. Wouldn't advise it on a higher difficulty level. I wrote in the article that "stone helps" but only used that wording because not everyone is playing on high difficulties. I can clarify that.

What I wanted to say is that going for BW is usually the most versatile approach

We disagree. I do not think that always going for Bronze Working early (and always trying to lib military techs) is versatile.

Your strategy seems viable to me on Great Plains map where you start in plains part with 3-4 plains cows and no other food, very close stone, horses for protection so you don't need metal units.

And that is just too "particular" start to have its own strategy.

At least you acknowledge that it could be used on one super ultra-cow map! But I don't need the ultra-cow map to find myself in a situation in which avoiding Bronze Working is attractive. I actually find it attractive on about 30% of all random terrain/random sea levels/fractal maps I roll. Most people call those types of starts "crap" however and never try to play them.

I wanted to satisfy my curiosity and rolled up a few great plains starts WBed in stone and tried for longbow / HA rushes on Immortal. Some observations:

1. Feudalism comes seriously late with this method even with PHIL or IND, so your window of opportunity is very small (we can safely assume that it's close to non-existent on Deity). (In comparison oracling Feudalism is not even that difficult to do if you spawn in the GP mineral region, does not deny you BW and leaves you much more time for preparations.)

2. Not being able to use emergency / opportunity whips can be fairly deadly. (But then again maybe the OP is much better at spawnbusting then me.)

3. You don't really need Rep because you don't have too much food so PS is the way to go if you landed the Mids for the GE. (I found it's virtually impossible to grow an engineer from the HG in time.)

So in fact I think if you want an early vassal then oracling Feud is better but if you want the Mids then even the Oracle --> MC --> GE gambit is occasionally faster then slow-building the Mids as you suggested. In general. But then again I'd really like to see a map that you deem appropriate for your proposed strategy.

I didn't play either scenario until Lib (in some I wouldn't have even got it first) but as a gut feel I'd say forgoing BW to get a "faster" Liberalism is only viable if you don't need BW / IW / MC and any other tech that require them (and that's a lot). What do you choose to Lib with this method usually?

I genuinely appreciate your efforts at simulations. Some thoughts: 1) I have no idea what this world builder map looks like or what strategy I would employ in it; 2) Oracling anything without marble is a gamble, in my experience the GE from the stone wonder is not (provided that you have stone and shoot for it); and 3) you're specifically interested in using Feudalism to vassal your neighbor (which sounds cool) but is a different goal than using it for defense and continuing up through Civil Service, or getting to Guilds before attacking. Nowhere have I written out an "early vassal" strategy, although I do find it intriguing (but that doesn't require Feudalism before the war starts, just once they are beaten up enough to give in). As to what I Lib, it depends on what my ultimate goal is and what is available before Liberalism is snagged by someone else. My technique does not mean that you cannot grab a tech that requires metal. Once you've used up that Great Scientist on Liberalism, you can then start to acquire metal techs rather easily, focusing specifically on those that link up with the tech that you want.

Moderator Action: Removed trolling discussion. Please report trolling, do not talk about it, only makes it worse.

Analytical feedback from Deity players is welcome by me as well. But after hearing everything, I see no reason to abandon the argument. In fact, my winning percentage on Immortal jumped when I started viewing Bronze Working as an early option, not an early necessity. I'm of the opinion that the previous advice of "always get Bronze Working no matter what the map looks like" is more misleading for new players than my article. If they're going for Bronze Working they should understand WHY they are going for Bronze Working, and what the other options are that they are passing up to do so.

I think that the BW discussion is important to have every now and then.
As the best tech in the game, we can sometimes tend to take it abit too much for granted.

Obviously, I agree. And I think the constant rerolling of non-early Bronze Working maps in the club games is also an issue that should be looked at. It just reinforces one approach to the game.

I agree, especially as the author did not attack anyone or any of the generally favored tactics. It's just more of a very much 'niche strategy' he presented here. Besides I don't believe in glorifying only those tactics that work on Deity. Every level has its own set of possible strategies. (E.g. warrior rushing half the map on Noble is fine but will not work on Deity, whileas teching Aesthetics for trade purposes early on Noble makes no sense as the AI might only get Alpha around 500 AD etc etc.)

Thanks for the defense. I agree wholeheartedly with your two points. I would also note that I am effectively utilizing the substance of this article on Immortal, not Noble, although a Warrior rush does sound like fun. ;-).

Here is a thread where we explored the possible benefits of a GMerch CS-bulb.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=451710

iirc BW was avoided in that strategy.

We found nothing that made this strategy more compelling than a more orthodox version.
You are more than welcome to continue the study though.

Thanks for the link.

This reminds the 1st SG I participated,

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=309970

where the variant is to be ban anything that causes unhealthy, i.e. no forest chop and unhealthy buildings.

I joined in the middle of the game, and the game already became quite backward, one of the main reason caused that situation was no chop. That's very rare for an immortal game which was played by some deity players. In my estimation, the difficulty increased with no forest hammer is like 2 levels up, not include the immortal-deity jump, however, if plus the other benefits from BW, especially slavery, then it's more than the immortal-deity jump.

I actual like your out-off-box thought, your strategy could fit with some situations, such as low food, no happiness resource, high hammer yield map. However, as others already pointed out, that's quite rare.

Your idea could apply more commonly before HR is available, after that, no slavery really hurts the game results. In the Joao game posted by Tachywaxon, before I researched Monarchy, BW indeed was less useful in my play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom