Runaway City Growth and Mod Update News??

SgtCiv

Warlord
I have been experiencing city growth problems. My cities will grow a new pop every turn or every other turn for several turns. It has only has been happening since the last update.
I am using the most recent versions of all of the mods, from the wordpress web page. I have cleared cache and moduserdata several times.

Is there any news on when the next version will be out to fix bugs and add more content?? I have been using this MOD or versions of it since Thal started MODDING CivV. There has usually been an update at least once a week, but it has been a long while since there has been one released. Please don't take this as any kind of complaint. I understand that Thal has a real life outside of MODDING this game, but this is such a great MOD I sure would hate to see it fade away. Is there anyone that has been helping Thal that can post any updates here until Thal can get back??

Edit: Added Lua Log.
View attachment Lua.zip

I'm also anxiously awaiting an update so I can play again. From the very beginning of CiV, I only play with Thal's mods, ... and CSD. Unfortunately, they are no longer compatible. It sure would be great if they could come back together.

The city growth problem is related to bugs related to immigration. To solve them delete the "Immigration" folder in "Communitas Enhanced Gameplay (v 3)". See the following for more detail: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=509834

You can also follow (and contribute) the development through github: https://github.com/Thalassicus?tab=repositories.

I'm also anxiously awaiting an update so I can play again. From the very beginning of CiV, I only play with Thal's mods, ... and CSD. Unfortunately, they are no longer compatible. It sure would be great if they could come back together.

Try replacing <References /> in the CSD modinfo file with the following:
PHP:
  <References>
    <Mod id="828b5b4b-7c62-4afb-a43f-034b596ef5e4" minversion="0" maxversion="999" title="Communitas Enhanced Gameplay" />
  </References>

The city growth problem is related to bugs related to immigration. To solve them delete the "Immigration" folder in "Communitas Enhanced Gameplay (v 3)". See the following for more detail: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=509834

You can also follow (and contribute) the development through github: https://github.com/Thalassicus?tab=repositories.

Try replacing <References /> in the CSD modinfo file with the following:
PHP:
  <References>
    <Mod id="828b5b4b-7c62-4afb-a43f-034b596ef5e4" minversion="0" maxversion="999" title="Communitas Enhanced Gameplay" />
  </References>

Thanks for the information. I started a new game earlier after deleting the immigration folder and that seems to have fixed the rapid city growth I was having.

Seems as good a thread as any to ask, but I keep hearing that the github files are more up to date than Wordpress - which is where I always go for my downloads.

After poking around the site, tantalized by components labelled 3.7, and going down the various branches, I came to the conclusion I have no idea what I am doing!

:wallbash:

How does one download the actual mod files from github and how do I know which versions are the latest and greatest? I see all the components - many updated hours ago - and I get the concept of branches and commits, but if I want the latest map or CEG (called CEP on github) mod, what precisely do I do? Am happy to test these new versions, I just don't understand how.

Thanks!

- Erikose

Well, Erikose even if you feel you have no skill as a programmer/modder you can follow the steps on the README found on every repository such as this one here.

And contribute as much or as little as you like. That means:

1) set up an account on GitHub. (doesn't cost anything, easy to do, gives a sense of sharing.:D)
2) fork the specific repository you want, or all of them. (I suggest you do them all)
3) install the GitHub for Windows application. This is an easy way of maintaining an up-to-date set of files from the GitHub website.
4) the step of selecting "branch" is a bit out-of-date, just select 'master' if it isn't already selected.
5) "Clone in Desktop" the repo(s) that you want. This will copy a complete set of the files to a folder on your own system using the GitHub application.
6) using whatever tools you like make some changes to the files (or not, it is entirely up to you)
7) if you want to share the changes you made with everyone else make a "pull request" and someone will review the changes and merge them with the main files
8) among the files are 'projects' that are ModBuddy configurations that will open the mod in the ModBuddy tool and build a working copy to your MOD directory under your Civ V folder, just as though you had installed it from Steam or elsewhere.

Now of course, you are not obliged to make any changes at all. If you just want the latest files follow all the steps except the editing ones. Although I would encourage you to have a try. I had only made very, very small mod edits for my own use before I asked Thal to help out earlier this year. So if I can do it, anyone can.

There is already a growing number of contributors to this project and we all will help you out if need be.

To summarize.
GitHub is two things. 1 it is the place where the files are stored and 2, the application you use to easily get the files to your system.
Once the files are there, you can do what you want with them without fear of stuffing the source up. It is an easy step to revert any mistakes to clean working code.
You need the tools from Firaxis to compile the files into a working mod. ModBuddy is what it is called.
(That technically isn't true. You can, if you know which files are latest, just copy them over your working mod folder and all should be fine.)

Lastly. If all you want to do is play the game. Hang tight as new releases should be flowing more freely now.

Thank you, ExpiredReign! In all honesty, my confusion reigns(!) even after the readmes. Sorry to make you type all of this out for me in any case, as I really only wanted to pull off the latest versions. I gather installing the github application is the way to do this, and Modbuddy will compress them down into the mods that civ expands - your proviso notwithstanding. . .

Just signed up and poking around the application. Should be interesting to check out. Can't promise much as I'm a bit over committed right now. Either way, enjoy the thought of an increased level of participation in a great mod with a great community all it's own.

- Erikose

If you haven't already got ModBuddy installed, my advice is don't bother, you can do everything it does with other tools. See a thread I discussed this here.

If you install GitHub for Windows, and you really don't have to do that either (you can get a zipped archive of each repo).
Just copy over the "newer" files to overwrite the existing files in the MOD folder.

If we add anything that requires more work than that, you can be assured there will be a installation package to use, or it is on Steam.

Above all though, don't be daunted by the prospect of tinkering.:p

He will need modbuddy to compile the modinfo file. And the SDK includes the tuner, which is pretty useful for testing

The modinfo CAN be produced by hand. If you are starting from scratch you only need a template to start you off and if there is an existing one the entries can easily be modified to ADD or REMOVE new files.
The md5 checksums are only used by the ingame modbrowser when installing mods from
Steam, if you load them by hand it doesn't need them.

You are correct of course about the FireTuner. Although IGE is pretty close to doing most of what is needed.
On a side note. In conversation with DonQuiche he mentioned he is not really happy with his code in that program.:eek: I guess after years of coding he has the luxury of being fussy about it. As far as I am concerned it is brilliant.:goodjob:

Hey thanks for this guys...I was actually able to figure this out. Ive dabbled a little in altering some mods to my liking(lol very little), but maybe this will motivate me to do more. I tend to play the game more though....:mischief:

I found errors in 3.7, should I report them or just leave them be. Basically alot of the old added wonders don't work correctly. IE the one that give +1 to hills doesn't give the bonus. I pretty sure Thal just added the old wonders without doing anything yet so I don't want to be annoying.

I was wondering, this might be a dumb question, but where is the location of 3.7 on my drive...it showed up in the list of mods in the game, but when i went to my mods folder it's not there

I was wondering, this might be a dumb question, but where is the location of 3.7 on my drive...it showed up in the list of mods in the game, but when i went to my mods folder it's not there

Make sure you delete all CEP mods/folders in your MODS folder then follow the instructions here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=507997

I found errors in 3.7, should I report them or just leave them be. Basically alot of the old added wonders don't work correctly. IE the one that give +1 to hills doesn't give the bonus. I pretty sure Thal just added the old wonders without doing anything yet so I don't want to be annoying.

Regarding errors in the 3.7, If you feel that you can provide technical information/solutions to the bugs then start an issue on github here: https://github.com/Thalassicus/ceg/issues?state=open

Otherwise, just start a new thread in the bug report forum prefixed with the 3.7 label and we can try working the problems out together.

I got this all figured out and got most the mods to build but ceg dont want to build in modbuddy.
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Firaxis\ModBuddy\Civ5Mod.targets(129,9): error MSB4018: The "PackageMod" task failed unexpectedly.
SevenZip.SevenZipException: The execution has failed due to the bug in the SevenZipSharp.
Please report about it to http://sevenzipsharp.codeplex.com/WorkItem/List.aspx, post the release number and attach the archive.

Any ideas?

Well I tried the main grouped one but when I build that Ceg i get-
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Firaxis\ModBuddy\Civ5Mod.targets(76,9): error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "Civup_Language.xls" because it was not found.

Ah, the current build is extremely buggy due to the new features rolling in. You'll have to use an older build.

Top Bottom