Tarot: Land of Arcana (WIP)

So in thinking about a "real" map with alternative cultures it helps to think about alternative histories. In your case, a "what if" based in historical events that would lend themselves to a more occult development. Try this on for size:
  • The Albigensian Crusade failed, so Occitan culture dominated Mediterranean Europe (Andalusia to Venezia) and made fertile ground for the blending of several spiritual paths. [There's your French]
  • The Hanseatic League flourished, stabilized Northern Europe as a Thalassocracy (think Phoenecia transported to the Medieval era) and spread from the Baltic into the area that would have become Northern France in our world/ [There's your German]
  • Since the Occitans were far more interested in cultural exchange than conquests there were never the ongoing wars between Europe and the Moslem world. Saladin (a Kurd) was able to concentrate his efforts on creating a long-term politically stable Caliphate - North Africa, Egypt, Middle East as far as Persia, and Anatolia. By the time Suleiman came along the cultural renaissance of Islam was even stronger than in our time line - well able to tolerate many small heterodox groups. [There's your Turks]
  • The long-term stability and economic strength of the two major European powers and the Caliphate meant that Timur had to look elsewhere to expand. The Mongols instead focused their military conquests to the Southeast ( the Gangetic plain), Central Asia (including Tibet) and North into the Russian Plain, reuniting Sarmatia under the rule of Central Asians for the first time since the Roman era. [There's your Russo-Asiatics]
How those divergences from our history would help the "occult" to flourish shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

Yes, thanks! That is very interesting as alternative history and fits well. I like it. And I was already thinking that the Cups (French) should dominate the Mediterranean.

I went to the national geographic Map Maker site and created a map.

Edit: I was able to finally create a pretty good map and import it using the Cross Platform editor. But I ended up not using the map because I found an existing map that looks better.

In designing a map you need to consider how much territory each civ has access to without interference. If you make a realistic Eurasian map that extends to India you're giving a huge advantage to the Asians - all that land in their backyard, compared to France/Germany fighting over Europe. At some point it's necessary to trade off realism for balanced game play.

This map-making business is tough! So I've decided to crop an existing Kal El world map, instead of trying to make my own map. I was able to import a .bmp file as a map but you still have to do a lot of work that way. So, it's easier when someone else has already made a map with good terrain and rivers, etc...

In designing a map you need to consider how much territory each civ has access to without interference. If you make a realistic Eurasian map that extends to India you're giving a huge advantage to the Asians - all that land in their backyard, compared to France/Germany fighting over Europe. At some point it's necessary to trade off realism for balanced game play.

Right. Asia is huge and will probably give the Swords (Asians) a lot more room to expand. So I'm concerned about that. But I'm currently creating a Euro-Asian map that has India and China included, and I'm going to spend some time making sure the other 3 suits have easy avenues to expand. Like you said, that may not work well in Europe because it is so crowded there. But I want to give it a try first before I crop Asia...

Concerning "Balance" in a Game... There are many ways to balance game play for Civs with smaller areas vs Civs with Larger areas. More Power can be arranged for the smaller Civs for example. Mobility, Units, Gold, Improvements, timing as to when they gain more power in various ways, etc...

Also remember that in order to have a Balanced Game, there must be an Imbalance or there will be a "Stalemate". That said, generally the Human Player is the imbalance that makes the difference so striving for what is seen as Balance is the way to go.

You can set up ways to allow different advantages for each Civ that can allow each to gain Power over others if they develop their advantages well. Add different timing for the Advantages and gain variety of Game Play.

Also remember that in order to have a Balanced Game, there must be an Imbalance or there will be a "Stalemate".

I think you are right about that. If everything is too simple and the same, then no one can get any advantages and the game would be boring.

You could probably devote a whole book of game theory on that subject...

There are many ways to balance game play for Civs with smaller areas vs Civs with Larger areas. More Power can be arranged for the smaller Civs for example. Mobility, Units, Gold, Improvements, timing as to when they gain more power in various ways, etc...

Right. I'll probably have to tweak some things for the Asians to prevent them from dominating the entire map...

Hopefully I'll make some progress soon. I'm sort of stuck in a place I cannot get out of! :)

I think you are right about that. If everything is too simple and the same, then no one can get any advantages and the game would be boring.

You could probably devote a whole book of game theory on that subject...
The most boring boardgame I ever played was of Agincourt. If you played the French you could charge straight ahead at variable speed until you got up to a full gallop, then no slowing down. If you played the British you could fire or advance. In a straight line.

Right. I'll probably have to tweak some things for the Asians to prevent them from dominating the entire map...
Take a look at what Civinator has done with the CCM mod. For example, he has found ways to restrict units to certain parts of the map.

Removed a bunch of info about maps that I never used...

I've been experimenting with using country names as city names. Example: Spain (Cups), Portugal (Cups), France (Cups).

So when you conquer a city, it will make you feel like you have conquered a country...

The country names look pretty good on the map also...

Whenever I think of Africa, I think of the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness" which was excellent. So I may make a Wonder called Ghost and the Darkness that can only be used if you have a resource in Africa. The Wonder will let you build a bridge somehow, so it has to be near a river. If I recall correctly, Val Kilmer was sent to Africa to build a bridge of some kind. And I guess I would need some lions out there in Africa also...

Anyway, I thought I might implement something like this using the new bridge patch (when it is ready for prime time).

Blue Monkey,

I love your idea about using Towers as telepads for teleportation. Also love Hikaro's idea about using telepads to "summon demons". so I'm going to place some Tower units around the map, not sure how yet...

I also have the idea of making some towers better than others somehow??. And some towers more indestructable than others somehow??

One of the Towers will be called "The Dark Tower". And I may name one "The Tower of Babylon".

I'm wondering...if (1) I use the hacked editor to create/save telepad unit settings ... and then (2) use the standard editor or Steph's editor to save some changes, if it will overwrite/mess up the teleportation settings when it re-saves? Something I will test when I get the chance.

On the film - it's The Ghost And The Darkness. There were two lions.

Towers - you'd have to search it but I vaguely remember someone discussing units that could paradrop but were immobile after that. & making different sorts of towers is no problem. It's just like flavor units or UUs (civs can have more than one). See Tom's Unit Factory thread. tom2050 made dozens of tower units, some animated.

Editors- have to ask someone like Quintillus.

Edit: Changed Map yet again.

Ok, I am now using a Eurasia map that I cropped.

I've added tons of cities for each Suit which span:

Cups - England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France, Spain, and Portugal.
Pentacles - Prussia, Austria, Central Europe, Venice, Denmark, Norway, Sweden.
Swords - Russia, Ukraine, Finland, Baltic areas, Far East.
Wands - Middle East, Greece, the Maghreb countries.

note: On small countries, such as Scotland, I use country names for city names. So it shows Scotland (Cups) for Scotland and Wales (Cups) for Wales. England will have London (Cups) and England (Cups). Anyway, this is still a work in progress but the cities are finally getting full attention now.

Anyway, I will attach the .biq file here if anyone is interested. It's called gold.biq right now. I use color names a lot when I am creating something...

Attachments

• Gold.zip
    36 KB · Views: 53
Next time I do a mod, the first thing I will do is decide on which civilizations I want and make a map and place the civilizations on the map. If you can't do that part, there is no mod.

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/units/ptw/#king

Gray Wolf, you do have Play the World, right? What I was recommending was either Alexander or Caesar, only insofar as they are clean shaven, and therefore youthful, like the Magician. Caesar has the added benefit of already wielding a "wand" in his hand, which, elsewhere, someone rendered as a magical attack.

I think is is Mursilis of the Hittites who wears a full length white gown. (It's why I use him as a graphic for Druid in MagePunk.) But he has a beard.

But if you need your Magician to wear an Earth, Wind and Fire circlet, it'll have to be added in. (I'm talking about the disco-era band, not the classical elements in your mod.)

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/units/ptw/#king

Gray Wolf, you do have Play the World, right? What I was recommending was either Alexander or Caesar, only insofar as they are clean shaven, and therefore youthful, like the Magician. Caesar has the added benefit of already wielding a "wand" in his hand, which, elsewhere, someone rendered as a magical attack.

I think is is Mursilis of the Hittites who wears a full length white gown. (It's why I use him as a graphic for Druid in MagePunk.) But he has a beard.

But if you need your Magician to wear an Earth, Wind and Fire circlet, it'll have to be added in. (I'm talking about the disco-era band, not the classical elements in your mod.)

Yea, I've got Play the World. Thanks for pointing those out to me though. I guess I wasn't sure what you were talking about.

I like Alexander and Caesar, but I actually like Temujin the best as a magician. I think all of these can be used as magical units if I add special affects:

Abu
Alexander
Caesar
Osman
Temujin
Tokugawa
Wang Kon
Xerxes
Isabella
Joan d'Arc
Montezuma.

I'm not good at making units though or adding special affects. But I guess the only way to get good at it is to put in the work. Some of those magical affect animations are really good. And I could change some of the white clothing to red. I think I'll use Temujin as is for the time being... he looks sort of like a magician to me.

Ha! Yea, I want my magician to be the lead singer for Earth, Wind, and Fire! :)

Thanks man...

Yea, you showed me those before. I like them and I want to use them as magicians in the game, just not as the first/young Magician unit...

But you made me realize that I could use one of those as the default magician for the time being (instead of Temujin). But eventually I will play around with some of those PTW Kings later ... and add some spell animations to them. It shouldn't be too hard to add some frames to the .flc files... (oops! I shouldn't have said that! :) )

Top Bottom