Civ 5 Confirmed Features

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil Wells dont dry up in the game. there is simply a limit on how many units it (or any other strategic resource) can supply.

I wonder if you will be able to get more out of a strategic resource with technolgy. For example, we can mine deeper and drill deeper now vs 50 years ago.

that would be a good idea

According to this Eurogamer interview, Workers are in.

Jon Shafer: Have you played Panzer General? It's kind of a similar situation. You have ground units, and air units. You also have hexes and one-unit-per-tile. We've got three layers of units - civilian units can stack with military together. You can have a worker unit and a warrior unit on the same tile, but not two of either.

No no no..

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
Hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new land,
To fight the horde, sing and cry: Valhalla, I am coming!

It's the Vikings! :)
My Viking brother is surely right :viking:

Thanks a lot for doing this, bite! :thumbsup: I have made this a sticky.

EDIT: Also added a link to this thread to the notice bar.

according to The Escapist

one strategic resource will allow only one resource-requiring unit to be built (e.g. at any moment, there can only be as many resource-requiring units as the player has strategic resources of the required type)

Another big change is the combat system. Units are no longer destroyed if they lose a battle, which means that civs can spend much more resources on maintaining their armies as opposed to cranking out new units.

almost forgot!

according to The Eurogamer
in an answer to a question about half the page, Jon Shafer refers to layers, but i find that the term slots is more appropriate.
a land tile will have three slots: a military slot(presence/absence of a military unit), a civilian slot(presence/absence of a settler/worker/explorer), and an air slot(presence/absence of an air unit).

What is this about there being no trading of technology?

I thought Civ V was supposed to be focusing more on diplomacy. Technological exchange is one of the fundamental foundations of civilization.

according to The Eurogamer
in an answer to a question about half the page, Jon Shafer refers to layers, but i find that the term slots is more appropriate.
a land tile will have three slots: a military slot (presence/absence of a military unit), a civilian slot (presence/absence of a settler/worker/explorer), and an air slot (presence/absence of an air unit).

That means air units move around the map over multiple turns like other units, like in SMAC, not fly a mission and immediately return to base like in CIV4. That's the first bit of news about CIV5 that has made me go 'urgh'. Hopefully it will be implemented better than it was in SMAC - aircraft running out of fuel and crashing if you didn't remember to send them back to base every other turn :(

I thought Civ V was supposed to be focusing more on diplomacy. Technological exchange is one of the fundamental foundations of civilization.

That's so true. Who can forget the great exchange of Egyptian construction methods for Hittite gold?

Or when Hannibal graciously offered the secrets of Elephant riding so they could learn the Roman code of laws?

Ooh! And when Napoleon offered most of Europe the secrets of emancipation in exchange for... alright, I can't keep this up. :lol: What the heck are you talking about?

Technology has always worked more like the Internet WW from Civ4 - by diffusion. Some civilization would develop a technology, and when it provided a great benefit to them (such as say... gunpowder) then other civs would either try to steal that technology, develop their own, or the merchant class would see profit potential and develop similar technology in other civilizations for huge profit. None of these are civilizations trading techs with each other. C'mon, now.

And if anyone is wondering, this interview confirms that their will be fog of war, and that the lack of fog of war in current screenshots is just for the purposes of demonstration.

Link to video.

no tech trading. however civs can engage in a scientific cooperation that will boost science by 15% in each civ. i wonder if this bonus will stack:think:

That means air units move around the map over multiple turns like other units, like in SMAC, not fly a mission and immediately return to base like in CIV4. That's the first bit of news about CIV5 that has made me go 'urgh'. Hopefully it will be implemented better than it was in SMAC - aircraft running out of fuel and crashing if you didn't remember to send them back to base every other turn :(
an air slot does not imply return to civ2/SMAC air units' behavior. rather it means that anyone cannot station more that one air unit on any one tile. and i think that air missions will be the way air units work.

there will apparently be game-specific disadvantages to having two cities too close to each other. Instead, Civ V will offer you a new alternative to send settlers to a desired area and plunk down a huge sum of gold to simply annex that zone and its resources.

thus this mean that a settler can clam territory without building a city. hope we can also trade tiles during peace negotiations with other countries.

I just got a call from Sid himself, straight from Firaxis headquarters and it's confirmed: Giant Death Robots are in!! :borg: :D

I've updated it to show some new info from Shacknews, The escapist and gamereactor.

though after going through all those new game reviews one thing has become plainly apparent, the difference between the journalists covering the event who have played civ and those who have not. No clearer example of this can be found than when the review talks about hexs, those who have played the game rightly pointed out that you loose two directions of movement from 8 to 6. However, I had to roll my eyes every time I read a review touting how "this allows you to increase your movement choices by two" from 4 to 6, one guy even did up a grid to demonstrate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom