Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Happened to me several times. And yes, it was like once a month.

Making the file Read-Only might not be enough; I think one must go into the security settings, and Deny Write for Everyone. This might cause the game to break, though, so I don't really recommend this.

So, I'd just suck it up -- and keep a copy of my edited .ini file, ready for copy-paste-rename.

Whenever I start a game, on turn 0 I just go into the options before doing anything else and replace my default name with whatever name that I want for that game. It has never changed during the game after that, even if I am playing a long marathon game that stretches over weeks.

you can also change your name in the "Custom Game" options before you even generate the map. Click on the icon that looks like the computer. Easier than doing it on turn 0.

It has never changed during the game after that, even if I am playing a long marathon game that stretches over weeks.

No, it doesn't change during a game, it just changes the default that it uses when you start a new game. It resets the .INI file back to the initial settings, any customizations, name or auto-save settings for example, are lost. You see it when you start a new game.

No, it doesn't change during a game, it just changes the default that it uses when you start a new game. It resets the .INI file back to the initial settings, any customizations, name or auto-save settings for example, are lost. You see it when you start a new game.

True. However, since I choose a different name for each game so I can tell them apart in the Hall of Fame, that is okay with me. ;)

In vanilla Civ iv you could build ships in a city that had a 1 tile big lake. They took that out. I know I have edited the xml file to put it back in, but this is a new computer and I can't seem to find it now. Does anybody know what variable that is?

In vanilla Civ iv you could build ships in a city that had a 1 tile big lake. They took that out. I know I have edited the xml file to put it back in, but this is a new computer and I can't seem to find it now. Does anybody know what variable that is?

Hi papakapp, in CIV4UnitInfos.xml, try the setting

Spoiler :
<iMinAreaSize>-1</iMinAreaSize>

Fairly sure it is this variable, as sea units have it set to 20.

Cheers!

Hi papakapp, in CIV4UnitInfos.xml, try the setting

Spoiler :
<iMinAreaSize>-1</iMinAreaSize>

Fairly sure it is this variable, as sea units have it set to 20.

Cheers!

Thanks!

I changed it and nothing. I wonder if it matters that it is the steam version?

I found that I have two copies of that xml.

One in

Sid Meyer's Civilization IV Beyond The Sword > Beyond The Sword >Assets >XML > Units

And another one in

Sid Meyer's Civilization IV Beyond The Sword >Assets >XML > Units

I changed them both. (Actually, they were already changed) and it didn't work. but I'm pretty sure that's what I did before when it did work now that you said it too.

Sorry if this is becoming a [not a quick Answer/Newbie] question.

Hi papakapp:

1) Never, ever, ever change values in the source files. Make a copy, put it into a mod folder, and change it there (you don`t even need a .dll compiled if you are not changing the SDK).

2) Here is the order in which civ4 will read files (file paths may not be the exact same as I just copy-pasta`ed from my computer):

Spoiler :
D:\Games\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Assets
D:\Games\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Warlords\Assets
D:\Games\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Assets

In other words, it will read from BTS, then WarLords, then Vanilla.

Cheers.

OK, I'm getting confused switching between Civ games. In Civ3, to get access to horses, you have to build a road to the horses and they have to be within a city radius. In Civ5, you need to build the pasture and have them within your cultural boundaries. What's the requirement in Civ4? Pasture plus road, or just pasture? Within the culture boundaries, of course.

Pasture + Road to one of your cities (you can skip the road if the Pasture borders a river connected to one of your cities).

Beside roads, rivers connected to the trade network also connect pastures. You can use forts to connect resources as well. A resource will also be connected if you build a city right on top of it.

I have sid's sushi and nobody will trade me their extra fish. I have a direct road from my corporate HQ to my capital and we are not talking about people who are angry with me. This is friendly people who give the "SYMBJ" response.

what gives?

The AI should indeed trade you their surplus ressources if you have Sushi or another corporation. Only explanation I can think of is if somehow you spread Sushi to their cities (or they have another corporation making use of these ressources), in which case I think they'll keep the extra ressources required by their corps from trade. If it's not that, upload a save we can look at to solve the issue...

Corps must be spread to a certain number of cities too, before AI is willing to trade their resources. On Huge maps, that amount can be quite high, like 5 cities or so.

Apart from that, only thing that prevents AIs from being willing to trade their resources is if they got a Corp that uses those resources, like said.

Wait, you need to spread a corp around your empire before the AI will trade you the resources that the corp uses? I can't say that makes sense to me.

Top Bottom