10 things that without playing I know I want to see in an x-pack.

Xen

Magister
1) A counter to the Giant Death Robot
-My own preference is for this to be a techno hoplite. Part man. part Cybernetic enhancements. All spear.

2) 'Original Recipe Domination & Conquest Victories'
-Simply put, I want to be able to destroy any city on the map- I don't care if a civs original capital, I want to be able to wipe it off the map. To facilitate this, I'd like to have an option to turn off the new domination victory rules.

3) Return of culture flipping
-This is probably the least realistic desire of mine, but I really liked culture flipping- we should have an option to turn it on, if we so desire to.

4) Culture style units
-This is certainly a totally superficial pleasure... but it's one that totally should have been included... although I hope i'm pleasantly surprised, and these are in the vanilla version of the game, and I just haven't been paying attention. ;)

5) Expanded role & Abilities for city states
-Would love to see them be able to form minor empires of their own - who knows, perhaps if they accumulate enough cities, they can form into a full fledged civ, trying to win the game on its own terms, just as much as any of the starting factions.

6) Culture related starts for both Civs and city states
- there's no reason to be messy, and have totally unrelated civs start next to each other, if cousin civilizations are present on the same world, and the same goes for city states. There's no reason for Florence to be next to China, while Korea is next to Rome.

7) Return of Religion
-There are already alot of threads and alot of great ideas running around the forum for how to re-implement them. I like an approach where religion has modifiers based on your own civs happiness, including bonuses or penalties applied to conquest of enemy cities - bonuses for recapturing cities of the faith fallen to the heathen, or for introducing your religion by conquest to heathen cities, and stiff penalties for declaring war on a brother of the faith.

That way religion affects diplomacy - but not directly.

There are other possibilities to flavor up religion, but i think this addresses the impacts of religion in a very flavorful manner, and adds a new aspect to the game.

8) More social policy trees
-I dont have to play the game to know I already love the social policy trees - great job CivV team on coming up with a great innovation!

9) Return of Vassal states
- I enjoyed being able to beat an enemy into submission, and there after have them allied to my Empire; no need for outright destruction, but a clear benefit from holding back from total conquest. And it was just cool to have an Empire by proxy.

In Civ V, this could be a situation where the vassal state is in a permanent military alliance with the 'Monarch' civ, contributing units (under their own control) to a war effort, and also giving a portion of gold and culture per turn, and fully shearing their research points. Counts as a controlled capital for the new domination victory rules, and occupies the same relation to the 'monarch' civ as in Civ 4 if the old domination/conquest rules are used.

10) More of what we all know and love -more civs, more wonders!
- headed up the Byzantines, Emperor Basil the Bulgar slayer, and his wonderful Cataphracts obviously. ;)

Though I would like to say I wouldn't mind every civ getting fleshed out with 2 UU's, and a unique building.

6) Culture related starts for both Civs and city states
- there's no reason to be messy, and have totally unrelated civs start next to each other, if cousin civilizations are present on the same world, and the same goes for city states. There's no reason for Florence to be next to China, while Korea is next to Rome.[/b]

There's something kind of like this in vanilla Civ 5. Civs will start in geographically appropriate places (Iroquois near forest, England near ocean, etc) unless it is turned off by an option when starting a new game. Don't think it does anything to put appropriate civs/city states near each other though.

yeah, the geo related start doesn't cover what i want, which is culture related starts- though it certainly proves that its feasible to implement, I'd say ;)

1. Not me personally, because then you're missing the point of the GDR: it's suppose to be a game-ender, to break a combat stalemate. If it has a counter, then the stale mate is likely to continue. It's very late in the game, so I don't see how prolonging a stalemate is very fun, unless you're the side without a GDR. In fact, the best counter to a GDR is ANOTHER GDR, much more exciting than a metallic hoplite :)

2. I like this :goodjob:

3. I don't know if this can be enabled, the way that culture is implemented in Civ5. It sounds like culture bombs might be more frequent, so if flipping was implemented again it could become too common (especially for the civ that isn't churning out Great Artists). I do like culture flipping though, it'd be nice.

4. I assume you mean flavor units for each civ? I thought they were in CiV already, at least I know they have different terrain sets for different parts of the world (although I'm not sure how this is implemented for Pangaea maps.

5. I think they should always be limited, otherwise they're not city-states anymore, but I think having an option to allow them to grow beyond one city might be cool, especially if they're closer to my enemies then they are to me :lol:

6. I like this :goodjob:

7. I got somewhat bored of religions after awhile: I got tired of rushing for Hinduism, or doing the typical Masonry>Judaism rush if I missed Hinduism. As for the implementation, I'm completely apathetic: if religions didn't return in any exp pack I could care less, although I do recognize that in reality they're incredibly important to the history has shape our modern world. Gameplay-wise, though, they didn't add anything that couldn't be done with other systems. Just for disclosure, though, I am an atheist :p

8. Don't you think what's already available will keep you busy easy in a game? By the sound of it, filling all the trees up would be a a monumental task, not to mention some of them being mutually exclusive anyhow. It'd be cool to see more paths to take in your game, although I don't have any ideas, I'm sure modders can add some great stuff.

9. I like this :goodjob:

10. And of course I like this :goodjob:

Good list overall :)

1) I dont actually like GDR's ; If they are 'supposed' to be end game stalemate breakers is something I think that's up to debate; as it is i think its tongue in cheek reference for demands for more future units, and a nod to call to power, which certainly featured such things.

My own opinion is that there should never be a game ending unit like that; everything should come in balance, and there should be a real development of near future units, if there are already going to stick one very over powered unit, they might as well flesh out a whole combined arms force for the near future as well. - so that strategy again is the dominant force on the battlefield, not pure stats, as par the course for the rest of the game.

7) In my own conception, there wouldn't necessarily be a 'religion rush' any more, as for terms of conquest, it could well be preferable that you never adopt a state religion, and I'm not crazy about religions giving financial bonuses either. I dont mind a culture bonus in addition to diplo aspect, but in general I agree with a rush towards Hinduism (or any particular religion) being pretty dumb, and wanting to get rid of that tactic.

8) More or less, my thought is that more policies could be added to deal specifically with espionage and religion, if they get added back to the game, but in general, I think that in terms of social policies, more options is always better.

1) I dont actually like GDR's ; If they are 'supposed' to be end game stalemate breakers is something I think that's up to debate; as it is i think its tongue in cheek reference for demands for more future units, and a nod to call to power, which certainly featured such things.

I loved call to power. The space cities and ocean cities. I hope this kind of stuff can be modded in.

Call to Power II is arguably a much better game then Civ3; if thier future units weent so ridiculous looking and over the top, I might be convinced that they could be a good idea in Civ V...

1) A counter to the Giant Death Robot
-My own preference is for this to be a techno hoplite. Part man. part Cybernetic enhancements. All spear.

I would support a simple 'No GDR" option. People who don't like the SF unit for any reason can turn it off, while others still have it. Then 99.9% of the people are happy.

I will continue fighting against (complaining about :) ) this terrible joke unit until it is stopped.

EDIT: 100% will never be happy. For example, someone may want a Techno Hoplite or a Giant Death Gandhi.

in all actuality, the techno hoplite really is just a spearman who can beat a tank ;)

I won't be supprised if all of these wishes will be implemented in the 5th extra CIV V super gold expansion edtion or something like that.

Religion, wonders and extra Civ's. In the end it will look like CIV 4 but with an updated engine, altered rules (hexes) and some extra stuff. Producers of the game do want some extra cash, so giving it all away in the first edition is as silly as silly can be !!

I would like to see some changes in the x pack.
1) I woud like to see a way to choose your leader and limit the nations like in Civ 4. I don't always want to play a 4 hour game.
2) I would like to see a way to jump past the intro. I mean its cool the first five times I watched it but come on. I have to go through the whole thing EVERY TIME.
3) I would ike the game to stop freezing up. I just purchased a new computer just for this game and the screen just freezes. Leaving me no way to correct this except to control alt del.
5) I would like to see clearer objectives without having to dominate the world. In the civ 4 game winnig was always with the Ceaser monical. What about other leaders inother catagories like Gandhi for peaeful, or some other leader for economic?

Call to Power II is arguably a much better game then Civ3; if thier future units weent so ridiculous looking and over the top, I might be convinced that they could be a good idea in Civ V...

The special units like Slavers, Televangelists, Lawyers, Abolitionists, etc got a little ridiculous. I found I spent less time fighting actual wars and more time trying to counter all of these

Also, I think you need to change your location to "Tallytrashy". FSU represent though :D

I would like to see some changes in the x pack.
1) I woud like to see a way to choose your leader and limit the nations like in Civ 4. I don't always want to play a 4 hour game.
2) I would like to see a way to jump past the intro. I mean its cool the first five times I watched it but come on. I have to go through the whole thing EVERY TIME.
3) I would ike the game to stop freezing up. I just purchased a new computer just for this game and the screen just freezes. Leaving me no way to correct this except to control alt del.
5) I would like to see clearer objectives without having to dominate the world. In the civ 4 game winnig was always with the Ceaser monical. What about other leaders inother catagories like Gandhi for peaeful, or some other leader for economic?

1) Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you can do this. Simply go to advanced options in the game set up menu and you can select your leader and then the leaders of the opposing civs you want and "delete" the remaining slots leaving only those civs you want in the game.

2) There is a thread somewhere on this board that shows you how to skip the intro movie. It involves going to the file where the game is stored on your hard drive and opening a text file and changing a single number. Can't remember the details but it can be done very easily.

3) I can't help you here. My machine is pretty old and seems to run the game pretty well (not got it on max video settings).

5) Not sure I understand where you're coming from here. Are you saying you wish there were ways to win other than through military conquest? There are several actually, but I may not be catching your drift here.

5) City states can get more than one city as it is now. In a game I was playing a civ that was picking on city states declared war on me. I took a bunch of their cities that I wanted and left them with the rest. Nearby city states eventually got a tech advantage on the now crippled civ and took a few cities from them. Weird seeing a city state with 3 cities. =D

Top Bottom