ROTM - Rise of the Mongols

:lol: Such a cheap yet clever method...;)

BTW, Goldflash, you seem to be in the business of title-screen making. Do one for this project?:D

I think Teutonic Knights, Silesia, Kiev, and Poland should also be civs.

In March of 1241, it began. King Boleslav V (the Brave) of Poland was the first to meet the thundering Asian cavalry archers at the city of Krakow. The battle was a disaster, ending in the death of Boleslav and the shattering of his army, the remnants of which fled west to the city of Liegnitz, where the Teutonic Knights were desperately trying to form an army to stop the Asian advance. Khaidu, leader of the Mongol northern army, led his forces in hot pursuit.

On April 9, 1241, Christendom watched in horror as its proud knighthood, wearing the cross of Christ, was utterly annihilated at the hands of Khaidu. The ruler of Silesia, Grand Prince Henry II, was killed in the battle. The nearby realm of Silesia was swiftly ransacked, but the Bohemian Army finally stopped Khaidu's advance. Undeterred in the least, he merely headed south, for Hungary. The last great hope to stop the Mongols was gone, and the way lay open into Central Europe.
http://campus.northpark.edu/history/WebChron/WestEurope/MongolEurope.CP.html

The Teutonic Knights (and the Swordbrothers Order) would do better as part of Germany, considering the time and the relationship between the Knights and the German princes.

I agree about making those orders into special units, since there is only so much land there. Poland should be there though. How about Korea ?

Here is a list of possible great leaders and scientific great leaders (italicized)-
Mongols-Sübedei, Jebe, Muqali, Ögödei, Jochi, Chaghatai, Tolui, Batu, Kublai, Hülagü,
Ta-ta-T'ong-a, Kököchü, Ch'ang-ch'un, Yeh-lü Ch'u-ts'ai, Usan
Khwarazm-Jalal al-Din, Temur Melik, Khumar Tegin, Rukh al-Din
Japan-Emperor Daigo II, Ashikaga Takauji, Nichiren
Chin-Hu Cha Hu, Kao-chi, Emperor Hsüan-tsung, Wan-yen Fu-hing, Wan-yen Yi, Emperor Ngai-tsung
Hsi-Hsia-Wei-ming, King Li Hsien
Sung-Emperor Li-Sung, Meng Hung, Emperor Ping-ti, Chu Yüan Chang,
Qin Jinshao, Zhu Shijie
Tibet-Sakya Pandita, Changchup Gyaltsen
Cumans-Hu-lu-su-man, Bachman
Hungary-Coloman
Poland-Duke Miecislaw of Oppeln-Ratibor, Duke Conrad of Masovia
Germany-Duke Henry of Silesia, King Wenceslas of Bohemia
Rum-King Hethun of Cilicia, Sempad
Georgia-Queen Rusudan, David Lacha, David Narin
Russia-Prince Mstislav of Galich, Dmitri, Alexander Nevsky, Prince Yuri II of Vladimir-Suzdal, Prince Roman of Kolomna, Prince Yuri of Raizan, Prince Michael of Kiev, Prince Daniel of Galich
Egypt- Bar Hebraeus
Annam-Tran Hung Dao

Amenhotep7 I'll tell you what, I'll let you look at my unfinished Mongol horde scenario to get an idea of where cities should be. its only half finished and I haven't had the time to resume making it.

Attachments

• Mongol.zip
    105.6 KB · Views: 81
Looks great!:goodjob:

I now have a wondeful idea as to what cities need in. Thanx! Of course, I'll still need to add a few more, and refine the borders a bit, but it looks real nice.:thumbsup:

I've begun transfering the cities. Hopefully I can have some nice refined borders by manipulating the culture... We shall see.

Okay, I tried my best with Chin, Korea, Song, and Hsi-Hsia. I hope city placement isn't too far off.:blush:

Looks very good. A few things though, Ning-hsia should be more south (132-54 on the grid). If you look on a modern map Ning-hsia is now the modern city of Yinchuan. Wu-ta-hai should also be moved one square down. Also the city of Liao-yung should be to the right of the Liao river. The placement of Liao-yung is perfect, I would move the river. Every other city looks just fine.

One very important thing, the mouth of the Huang-ho (Yellow) river in China is inccorect for this time period. The map depicts the modern mouth. In the 13th and 14th century the mouth was to the South of the Shangtung penninsula. Look on the large map I gave a link to on the first page of this thread to see the correct river course.

Which one is the Yellow River? Sorry, I only recently got interested in China, so my knowledge is bare minimum, if that.:blush:

I know lots about Romans, Greeks, Egyptians and Vikings, though!:D

P.S. Constantinople belongs to Byzantium, not Latin empire.:hmm:

The Huan-ho, or Yellow river flows throw Chin territory. Lo-yang and Kai-feng are on the Huang-ho.

Constantinople was actually held by Crusaders of the 4th crusade who sacked the city in 1204 and established the Latin Empire, which lasted until 1261.

But I thought the Byzantines regained it sometime later... O well. Latin Empire, Byzantine Empire, it's all good!:cool:

Bump

Added Mongols, Seljuks, Mamelukes, Abbasids, Azerbaijanis, Georgia, Byzantines, and started on Kwarzam. Will post preview l8r.

How is it? I don't think it looks too bad myself. :smug:

-Still haven't made Latin Empire
-Haven't even touched Europe
-Haven't fixed Yellow River
-You'll see

How's city placement/borders?

Thanx! I always need a pet project.:)

Guys, I just want to say this now, I want a minimum of customized units. I'll use, o i don't know, 5, 7... But I don't want to beef up the scenario size too much. If I can use a game unit, I will.

As for techs, I don't think there will be any tech tree. I mean, the scenario will allow you to play as Mongols, and well... the Mongols weren't exactly scientific. :p

I think the scenario should last from the time GK unites the tribes to the time he dies. I may make a follow-up Tamerlane scenario as well.

The victory should be, IMHO, a Victory Point victory, like the Napoleanic Europe Victory Points. Though we may hafta tweak it for playability's sake.

Some comments:

You need to add Germans, India, Russians, and Japan for sure. You MUST add them, for what is a mongols scenario without a Mongol player able to invade Japan sucuessfully, conquer Germany and India? And they actually conquered the Russians.

Add the Crusader states too, holding Jerusalem and Antioch.

You might want to make the Yangtze river actually coast squares with a few points of crossing guarded by cities. The reason? To have an accurate conquest you absolutly MUST include the excellent boats of the Song navy, that held off many invasions for years. The seiges of the cities often involved much river naval combat. This is a MUST.

As for units to add--

You'll need a Mongol Heavy Cavalry and the Light cavalry (represented by the Keshik) for the Mongols. Also probably the Khublai Kahn warship made (I think) by aaglo, which invaded Japan.

Add for the Chinese, Koreans and Mongols a type of artillery "thunder crash bombs" with very high bombard values and leathal bombardment, as it was these that held the Mongols off form the Song cities for so long, and took them and Korean cities down when the Mongols acquired them.

For the Song alone you will need to add Flying Tiger Warships--they were ships that had paddlewhells concealed in their hull, so they appeared to float effortlessly over the water and inspire terror. These are also a MUST.

Give the Arabs and Mongols counterweight trebuchets, the Arabs should have them first, they were critical to many seiges.

Other than that, regular Civ units will do fine, unless I have missed any.

--BTW, I am very glad to see someone do this, as I have thought about this quite a bit, and know a lot about the subject.

Thanx, North King!:D

North King said:
You'll need a Mongol Heavy Cavalry and the Light cavalry (represented by the Keshik) for the Mongols. Also probably the Khublai Kahn warship made (I think) by aaglo, which invaded Japan.

Idea: Should I differentiate the two by having, o say, one of Kinboats "Golden Horde" units for the Heavy Cavalry, and the light cavalry a Keshik? Or is there no real difference?

Add for the Chinese, Koreans and Mongols a type of artillery "thunder crash bombs" with very high bombard values and leathal bombardment, as it was these that held the Mongols off form the Song cities for so long, and took them and Korean cities down when the Mongols acquired them.

Fire Catapults or Hwach'a wouldn't work, eh? All right, we'll need a unit creator. Got any ideas as to who could do it?:p;)

North King said:
For the Song alone you will need to add Flying Tiger Warships--they were ships that had paddlewhells concealed in their hull, so they appeared to float effortlessly over the water and inspire terror. These are also a MUST.

Okay. Question: Could I use any unit in-game or on the forum?

North King said:
Give the Arabs and Mongols counterweight trebuchets, the Arabs should have them first, they were critical to many seiges.

Could I use the game's Trebuchet?

Top Bottom