The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game # 4 - Sweden

Spoiler :
This was a fairly late culture game, with some boosters already built by the AI, but I still feel great about the win because I took on Shaka early and won. I wanted to use the GP bonus for a culture game, but when I found Shaka and only Shaka in the first 20ish turns I knew I couldn't turtle this game: flat grassland, not a lot of production, and obvious Zulu expo spots on my front door.

A lot went my way early, so I don't know how repeatable this feat is for me. I took Consentient's advice: I attacked Shaka early, and never let up. I plan to keep trying because it worked for me at least once. I see Acken did something with 3 archers, but he's way better and this was a big deal for me. After two scouts, I went for an archer. I had already stepped on an Archery tech ruin and I upgraded my warrior to a spearman. I had the spearman over by Shaka looking for a chance to nab his workers and pillage. Then my first scout hits a upgrade too, and now I'm in business. I manage to steal both of his workers in one turn with my archer. I executed the one I couldn't escape with. Bloody times. Meanwhile, my second scout hits an upgrade ruin too, and my capital builds another archer for 4. I had to build another scout to actually find anyone else, but it's clear they weren't close to us by what the first two had already revealed.

I entered a period where I couldn't do any real damage to Ulundi, but I could capture every settler that was built. I used my captured settlers/workers as bait to keep killing his troops. I didn't want to go for full domination, and I decided to make a second city instead of enough archers to actually break through. I also decided to tech for Construction and try and take Ulundi before Impis ruined my day. I had no early science from trade routes and delayed every science boost with my early war, but I got to CBs in enough time to matter.

I planted my second city right between our caps to act as a forward base. Sigtuna was pretty strong all game with lots of grassland stone, pastures, and nearby freshwater tiles. It kicked out another archer for me when I needed it. Workers were never an issue for me, and I sold them regularly after a certain point for gold and to stay under the unit cap.

I reloaded 3 different times trying to get my troop movements right, 2 of those times going back a turn. I usually don't bother with worker baiting (it doesn't help during my late game domination runs and I skip it once I have the range or mobility to not take a shot from the city), so I'm not good at the dance. I tried to use it every turn against Shaka to kill off his unit spam. Sometimes he just ignored me, and sometimes he brought more than one unit and I would take a lot of damage keeping the operation together while not letting him settle a third city. Shaka even tried sending two settlers in opposite directions in one turn, but I had my scout-kilo-archers on either end and caught them both. Once I committed to capturing Ulundi, I lost one CB but it was worth it: he popped out an Impi 2 turns later from his second city! It almost destroyed the GG bomb I had planned to ruin his life, but it was too late for him. No one minded me taking one city early too much, and I stayed at war training until France killed him off so he never got a chance to denounce me.

So after all of this, I went for a 2 city NC, annexed Ulundi, and founded a 4th city. I didn't get Education until T127, but I still managed to hard-build Uffizi and PT. I managed to sneak in Eiffel too, but I got beat to every other useful Wonder, including the SoL, until Sydney started my late game Wonder blitz. Let's just say I got a lot of fail gold this game, and felt my slow start all game long. I added CN Tower, Neusch, Great Firewall, Hubble, and Louvre. I built the Louvre on T286, and managed to finish Exploration before the game ended. If I played out my winning turn, I had another landmark take my Tourism from 670 to 705. I needed every bit of that Tourism, because I was so late to the Internet. I ended up planting a bunch of GS instead of bulbing them because I needed the Tourism more at that point, and the WC had passed NHS and CHS.

I gave my second general to Kyzyl, and that really helped me catch up on my culture. I gave one GS away at one point, and it was worth it because I went from -5 happiness and only 500 gold to 13 happiness, 2 more CS alliances, and 4 more friendships by chaining resource quests. I kept 3-4 friendships going most of the game and it really helped me generate enough GWAMs to win. Really, my science was slow but it was never really the bottleneck.

In a very unfortunate turn of events, the WF came very late and the culture runaway (Darius) won, so I couldn't make up any ground on him (even with Internet/Airports) until it wore off. He had already won the IG. I bombed him with 4 GMs, two from faith mostly given to me by city-states. Darius also had gunboat diplomacy, so there was no realistic way for me to keep him from owning a good chunk of the CS's, including too many culture ones. It took every bit of tourism I could dig up to win, but after playing nice all game I bribed Darius into some late wars to keep him occupied and not building broadcast towers and the like. It took 3 more turns after my last GM bomb to finally seal the deal.

Attachments

• DCL04.jpg
    DCL04.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 122
  • DCL04shaka.jpg
    DCL04shaka.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 117
  • DCL04Theming.jpg
    DCL04Theming.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 91
  • DCL04Tourism.jpg
    DCL04Tourism.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 134
T296 Diplo V

Spoiler :

Settle capital SE of the furs, for maximum access to coastal food. Also chose God of the Sea Pantheon. Once lighthouse was completed, with workboats, production was fine. Settled another coastal expo, and another city up north close to NW. 4th city closer to Shaka. Didn't steal any workers off Shaka, as it is impossible to make peace with him. Bribed Shaka to keep him off my territory until rest of the world was at war with him, then denounced and attacked at him during Atomic era. DoF with Maria, Theo, Darius for almost whole game. Poca backstabbed after me taking most of Shaka's city, including Ulundi, so my planes/army marched through Shoshone land and took all his mainland cities. Next Theo denounced, so I also took most of her cities along with French. My tech avoided information era for a while, so WL vote was only triggered when 2 other AI civs reached Atomic. Bismark was killed off very early. 2 turns before first WL vote, Maria and Darius both denounced, but it didn't matter. Obviously victory time would be a lot faster if I didn't focus at all on military techs or conquests, but it is more fun playing around with Atomic Era warfare.

4 city NC at 110, late due to lack of hammers
120 Edu, 162 ST

SP: Full trad, Full honor, Patronage opener, 2 rationalism, 4 Commerce, 6 Order
WC: WF(only took free SP), +culture landmark, +culture WW, WI: order

All GG except for 1 and all GM denoted to CS. Combined with coups, controlled all CS easily, thus denying Maria from marrying any CS.

Top Bottom