Emperor has ceased being fun...

Bei1052

Emperor
So I figure, why not give Deity a shot? I'm 95% sure I could win at Immortal, so I'm just going to skip it.

Decided to use a leader I never use. Just entered the classical era through philosphy. Three cities. Probably won't build another before I finish the NC. Four DOF's (I think). Where to go from here?

Attachments

• Bismarck_0089 BC-1775.Civ5Save
    874.2 KB · Views: 97
Get a screenshot up, it's more telling and faster than downloading and loading a save

Skipped immortal? Ouch.

I only play immortal now and I don't plan to switch to deity. I like to play the game a bit like a leader, allying civs I like, going to war because I want to, and not focus much on winning strategies. And I still win immortal almost always this way. But for deity I think I have to be too much focused on just winning.

There isn't as much difference between Emperor and Immortal as between Immortal and Deity, so on the one hand I can see the purpose in skipping. I did the same initially: jumping in at the deep end and learning to swim. It's not a method I'd ever say doesn't work, because it worked pretty well for me.

That said, Immortal is really fun once you're OK at Deity, because you can play sub optimally for fun, without having to focus on winning, like previous posters pointed out.

I too recommend that you try a couple of immortal games first - the jump up from immortal to deity is intense, mainly because of the extra AI settler on turn one. Even after watching a load of Deity LPs (started with Maddjinn) it still took me a while to adjust.

That said, if your start is strong enough maybe you'll be ok. Please post a screenshot for mobile users like myself :)

Added a screen below.

A couple extra notes:

- Epic speed
- Landed Elite is in, but no Monarchy or Aristocracy.
- Philo is the only Classical era tech
- 2 workers

Spoiler :

Doesn't look like Liberty was a good choice here because it's a Tradition game, derp... there's only room for maybe 2 more cities. Still, lots of CSs close should make a good use of the UB

My main concern is the lack of workers. I'd want at least 4 total, and so I would buy 1 and build 1 (in Berlin) immediately. You can use some chops to accelerate the 2nd worker and Caravan in the cap.

There are three viable expands, but none are safe from the AI city planters. I'm a little worried that a 3 city NC locks you into 3 cities for a long time.

Getting two caravans from Was/Theo is helping boost beakers. I think this is winnable, but certainly no cakewalk. Good luck :)

3 city NC Liberty is, I still argue, the best Liberty strategy provided you will go to war ASAP, though I've not looked at the map in question, soon.

I'd try and settle the 4th city somewhere in the south between the CSs and get NC.

I'd have put Munich one tile SW of its location because the coast wouldn't really amount to anything. Ideally, I'd burn down Boston as well :)

Ideally, I'd burn down Boston as well :)

Hmmm, the DoF with America actually expires in 4 turns, but declaring would kill the free 5 beaker caravan. I'm not sold on burning a captured Boston. It has a unique lux and can grow to size 8 or 10. I'd only burn if down if it is city #5+, I think.

I have no idea how you jump to deity like that. I am in the position of Emperor being a cakewalk and boring, and Immortal just destroying me whenever I don't to 3 city tradition turtle science post-t350 win- I just had to give up on the Immortal Songhai challenge after ~100 turns.

Good luck. Hope to see some actual screenshots!

So I figure, why not give Deity a shot? I'm 95% sure I could win at Immortal, so I'm just going to skip it.

Decided to use a leader I never use. Just entered the classical era through philosphy. Three cities. Probably won't build another before I finish the NC. Four DOF's (I think). Where to go from here?

Brave move Sir. If you won`t make it I would recommed a couple of Immortal games first because Deity is just insane and without proper start or very good fighting skills from early on you won`t get the upper hand till the very late game, and even that is questionable, especially on large maps.

I have no idea how you jump to deity like that.

Agreed. But some posters have made the jump.

I am in the position of Emperor being a cakewalk and boring, and Immortal just destroying me whenever I don't to 3 city tradition turtle science post-t350 win

That is where I was. I was not really making much improvement with my Immortal play, but moved to Deity anyway. It has been okay. Deity is not impossible like I was expecting. I am enjoying the challenge plenty, and still can win (sometimes) even though I always tune my play to the uniques -- even when they are poor.

I have played just a couple Immortal games since making the switch. I still could not get a CV or Dom win (which is why I went back to Immortal) so I am sticking with Deity indefinitely for now at least.

I'd try and settle the 4th city somewhere in the south between the CSs and get NC.

I'd have put Munich one tile SW of its location because the coast wouldn't really amount to anything. Ideally, I'd burn down Boston as well :)

I would have...

If Washington doesn't beat me to his site by one turn. There was also a Byzantine settler just north, so I chose the second best city. There are still two iron and a cargo ship in the future, so it's all right.

And, yes, I realize I need more workers. I was going to get one more before starting the NC. By the time I chop out a library in Munich, I should be able to slow build both a Caravan and a worker in Munich. As I don't have too many luxury resources to improve, I think three workers will suffice. That should net me the NC around turn 130ish, which I consider really good (I try to get it at the absolute latest around turn 150 on Emperor).

As far as war, I'm debating. I hate to declare on Washington and lose the beakers. If I were to attack anyone, it'd be the Ottomans, but he's kind of far away.

I have no idea how you jump to deity like that. I am in the position of Emperor being a cakewalk and boring, and Immortal just destroying me whenever I don't to 3 city tradition turtle science post-t350 win

Deity is just insane and without proper start or very good fighting skills from early on you won`t get the upper hand till the very late game, and even that is questionable, especially on large maps.

Well...

some posters have made the jump.

Exactly this.

Might I be so bold as to direct you to my thread entitled 'Domination on Deity and Immortal: A noob's guide', which might get you started in utilising the most powerful force in the whole game (conquest)?

There is a test map there, and plenty of tips to help you make the transition to the higher difficulty levels.

I went from Settler to Deity. Thought what was the point learning sub-optimal strategy. I lost the first 100 games probably (lol) but it made me learn. No chance I'd play Immortal now.

EDIT: but that's just what makes the game fun for me (the challenge). Whatever floats your boat

Mad props to the OP, go to deity as soon as possible. Immortal Shmmortal. Half of my posts on civfanatics are telling people to jump in the deep end. There are people that spends years on lower difficulties... In everything, the rate of learning is much faster when playing higher competition!

Of course, if you just want to have fun and like the difficulty that's a different story. But if you are trying to learn to become a deity player, then jump to it. And watch some LPs!

I think people are up playing Deity too much, here. It is a shadow of how hard it used to be, it really isn't that big a deal as long as you survive the early game. Keep an eye on their troop movements, try to not give them too many reasons to attack you, and be ready to bribe them to fight others and you should be fine as an emperor player on deity.
The newest expansion gave a massive growth in deity players when it came out

Added a screen below.

A couple extra notes:

- Epic speed
- Landed Elite is in, but no Monarchy or Aristocracy.
- Philo is the only Classical era tech
- 2 workers

Spoiler :

Nice to see Washington's still a bloody idiot hahaha. That city placement is crying out for war. Burn it down!

Top Bottom