Are missionaries terrible?

Missionaries are most efficient when the target city only has pantheons and not other religions.

Great Prophets are most efficient with the target city already has a majority religion (that's different from yours).

That makes sense. Thanks.

Also, some belief (Messiah and Holy Orders I think) lower the faith cost of missionaries (and in Holy Orders, Inquisitors as well). That makes them a very cheap way of fighting off an AI who keeps converting your cities.

Of course this may entail guess work as often you don't often know who is around when you select your final belief.

Also, some belief (Messiah and Holy Orders I think) lower the faith cost of missionaries (and in Holy Orders, Inquisitors as well). That makes them a very cheap way of fighting off an AI who keeps converting your cities.

Of course this may entail guess work as often you don't often know who is around when you select your final belief.

build scouts, and you are gonna know who's around ...

Great prophets won't be a problem when you have an inquisitor and a missionary on the side to help your religion recover itself from the great prophet conversion trail. Another thing that makes inquisitors useful is that great prophets sometimes leave a piece of your religion around which automatically awakens when your inquisitor removes the rival religion.

Great prophets won't be a problem when you have an inquisitor and a missionary on the side to help your religion recover itself from the great prophet conversion trail.

True, and as you point out, the inquisitor bomb by itself may be enough, so the missionary may not be necessary. But if you have to use an inquisitor bomb on your home turf, it strongly implies that the player has slipped up. An inquisitor next to a city prevents it from being converted in the first place, and does not consume the inquisitor.

Inquisitors + missionaries work well for cities you conqueror.

when the prophet sees an inquisitor nearby he usually goes away. try to block the prophet with the garrison units

If a city has an inquisitor in or next to it, then missionaries and Great Prophets cannot use their convert ability. It's pretty slick! Logistically, this is much easier than blocking. Blocking should only be necessary while you save up faith to purchase an inquisitor. Ideally, you have anticipated the problem, and have the inquisitor on station ahead of time. Usually, you don't even need more than one because you can shuffle between cities, and anyway, mostly the AIs only target your cap for conversion.

that's why I said to try to block, as you can defend several cities with one inquisitor.

Often I have built the Grand temple, so if he GP bombs my capital I don't mind it. Heck, if the GP's got Holy warriors, he just did me the biggest favor. I buy the other faith's buildings, enjoy the second pantheon, and slowly let all the pressure overwhelm it. I know I can use an inq to ward it off, but often I don't even want to. Sometimes I'll buy a missionary (in my own faith) instead and burn one or two charges on the capital. My citizens tire of all the same ole, same ole worshipping Artemis every day. They need a break to worship the little cat god.

Agreed, getting the building and other benefits from another faith can be a strong advantage. Sometimes I will even buy inquisitors from the foreign religion so I can get the second faith building in my expos. One just has to be careful about not converting too many of your own cities at the same time.

try to block the prophet with the garrison units
that's why I said to try to block, as you can defend several cities with one inquisitor.
There is no need to bother trying to block with garrison units if you already have the inquisitor available.

It may help. . Having ships in sea is better than not having ships in a sea if you want to explore and make trade routes etc.

It may help. . Having ships in sea is better than not having ships in a sea if you want to explore and make trade routes etc.

Of course, but the catch is that requires astronomy if it is a decent island map. By that stage you should have gone towards completing your beliefs.

On a side note it's worth saying that Missionaries can become quite a bit more powerful if you have a combo or religious beliefs, wonders & social policies.

Think - Mandate of Heaven, Great Mosque of Djenne, Interfaith Dialogue, Missionary Zeal/Holy Order...

I think that could be an interesting way to play Byzantium at around King-Emperor level for a science victory.

Also if you are playing a heavy religious game remember that once you hit the renaissance era the base faith cost of units and buildings goes up 50%.
So it may be worthwhile changing your research techs around a bit IF you decide that you want to continue buying religious items at a cheaper price...

Top Bottom