[BtS] American Civil War

It'll still be awhile, its a lot of work, but if somehow I could keep up with the furious pace I've had in the last 2 days, it could be done within a few months perhaps. Hopefully there will be an alpha out before that though.

If anyone could make some great general models for Lee and Grant that would be awesome.

ALL the infantry and field artillery are added!!! 16 rifleman units , and 10 field artillery units (some are UU's, and I'm not even counting flavor units... that will effectively double or triple these numbers). Still need to make some minor adjustments for both stats and graphics, but they're all added and work fine. Now to finish off mounted, supply, and special units.

If any talented modelers are out there, I need some simple help. I need to be able to switch outfits on the cannonier.... i.e. I want to make him wear the confederate outfit, but when I put it on, it doesn't fit right, and he looks weird. I can manage doing this with all the rifleman and cavalry, but the stupid cannonier never looks correct.

see the real problem is someone made a set of cannons with the union/confederate uniforms, but its not done normally, and I cant simply cut and paste it out. That in itself is ok, but considering theres 9 other types of cannons it would look weird.

Thanks

cool... I didn't realize you had made one until now. It'll definitely be in eventually ;)

Hey, someone asked for a 54th Mass. Infantry unit for some mod they're working on. So I whipped it up for him pretty quickly and I thought you guys might want to use it too.

Here's an image;

Its in the Unit Request thread, you can download it HERE. I hope this is helpful or of any interest to you guys. Maybe you could put something in where the Union gets some free black regiments after some type of event or something. I don't know.

no not much word. The mod is moderately more developed on my pc than on the downloadable version, but I've been quite busy with school and work lately. Learning vb and cobol at the same time, only 12 credit hours till i'm done, so its getting pretty hard.

I might be able to sneak in some work on it here and there, but I doubt I'll seriously work on it again until summer. kevinman has provided me with a sweet map, but I'm not quite ready to use it. Some units need finishing and many more buildings need added. I could use some suggestions for buildings, and/or art for buildings too.

if anyone would like to help or even take over lead development that would be great too.

Shiggs

Why is the mod crashing on me before I even start a game? I downloaded the most recent version.

because it hasn't been updated in awhile. The downloadable version is for 3.13, I have a working version on my PC that i need to update soon that is 3.17 compatible, and I've been gone for 2 months and yay, now I get to convert to 3.19, all in time

because it hasn't been updated in awhile. The downloadable version is for 3.13, I have a working version on my PC that i need to update soon that is 3.17 compatible, and I've been gone for 2 months and yay, now I get to convert to 3.19, all in time

From what I understand 3.19 is the last update for BTS, so you don't have to worry about updating anymore.

no not much word. The mod is moderately more developed on my pc than on the downloadable version, but I've been quite busy with school and work lately. Learning vb and cobol at the same time, only 12 credit hours till i'm done, so its getting pretty hard.

I might be able to sneak in some work on it here and there, but I doubt I'll seriously work on it again until summer. kevinman has provided me with a sweet map, but I'm not quite ready to use it. Some units need finishing and many more buildings need added. I could use some suggestions for buildings, and/or art for buildings too.

if anyone would like to help or even take over lead development that would be great too.

Shiggs

I'm interested in trying to help. Note that I said try - modding is very new to me and there will be a learning curve, I'm sure. Do we have a list of what needs to be completed?

I'll try to get a list going asap. Unfortunately there are a ton of new changes on the 3.17 compatible version, and it is on my other PC, which I don't have atm, and won't for perhaps another month or two (it was stolen and is being used as evidence in a criminal case, and unfortunately I am just out of luck for a while). Very weird, i know. Now I'm on some pos vista machine, and honestly I'd rather have windows 98.

Just off the top of my head, really the only things that need done are adding some more buildings (and art), adding more art for units (mainly flavor units... i.e. special confederate and union uniforms for nearly every unit type. Not to mention flavor units for all the other civs as well. All the units are done, just not all of the special art. Then perhaps re-adding some projects (like foreign intervention for the south as an example). Also scenario creation (map is pretty much complete though). Then there's fine tuning all of the tech and unit costs ect. ect. after the scenario is created. Then adding events and one last fine tune of everything. Oh and also converting to 3.19

sounds like a lot, but compared to what is complete, its hardly anything,

Shiggs

I'll try to get a list going asap. Unfortunately there are a ton of new changes on the 3.17 compatible version, and it is on my other PC, which I don't have atm, and won't for perhaps another month or two (it was stolen and is being used as evidence in a criminal case, and unfortunately I am just out of luck for a while). Very weird, i know. Now I'm on some pos vista machine, and honestly I'd rather have windows 98.

Just off the top of my head, really the only things that need done are adding some more buildings (and art), adding more art for units (mainly flavor units... i.e. special confederate and union uniforms for nearly every unit type. Not to mention flavor units for all the other civs as well. All the units are done, just not all of the special art. Then perhaps re-adding some projects (like foreign intervention for the south as an example). Also scenario creation (map is pretty much complete though). Then there's fine tuning all of the tech and unit costs ect. ect. after the scenario is created. Then adding events and one last fine tune of everything. Oh and also converting to 3.19

sounds like a lot, but compared to what is complete, its hardly anything,

Shiggs

Is the current download the 3.17 compatible version with the map? I can't help with the artwork - no talent (and more importantly, no software) on that end but the tech tree, unit costs, and scenario creation I can help with. The question of foreign intervention would probably require triggers (i.e., the South captures Washington D.C.) which I'm guessing would require some programming in Python. That's an area I want to learn and am progressing gradually through the tutorials so graciously posted here but it's going to take some time to get up to speed.

Other interesting thoughts - the Emancipation Proclimation, blockades, placement of resources, and the western theater - particularly Arkansas & Oklahoma (Indian Territory at the time) - where Native American tribes were recruited by both sides and fought several battles which had no major impact on the war but had local impact. I'll have to do some research on those to identify which tribes fought on which side and who the leaders were.

I'd also like to play through the current version (i.e. 3.17) to see how it works, if that's at all possible. Balance will be difficult - the North had tremendous advantages in manpower and manufacturing, plus the naval blockade put a huge burden on the South. The South had the better generals, at least to start with. A historical game would require the South to win quickly - through some type of major victory which encourages the Europeans to come in on their side.

I hope you get it back with everything still on it! Would be a bummer to lose all your work (keep a backup on a thumb drive!) Vista:vomit: Yea it does suck, been using Windows 7 which is Vista that works. Good luck, we're all excited about this mod.

well its been a long time since any updates, but I thought I'd just throw a line in here and say that the mod is not dead. There is in fact a bug free version released now for 3.19 though it is not yet complete. I lost all my old files and the dl was taken off line, so I've basically re-built this from the ground up, again.

Some of the features will include:

- 7 civilizations all with 3d leaderheads.
The Union - Abraham Lincoln
Confederate States - Jefferson Davis
Republic of Mexico - Benito Juarez
Great Britain - Queen Victoria
Spanish Empire - Isabella II
2nd French Empire - Napoleon III
Great Sioux Nation - Red Cloud

- Totally re-worked Tech Tree, including 46 new/adjusted technologies.

- only 3 era's now exist; Pre civil war, Industrial, and Future.

- New terrains and terrain graphics. Arid Plains, Wasteland, Marsh, and Boreal Forest added. All terrain graphics are equal to or better than blue marble. Guaranteed. I especially like the water, and its not yet final.

- Religion completely removed. Ideology replaces it, only Yankee and Dixie Ideologies available now.

- Totally reworked civics; 14 new civics in all. Religion branch of civics is now Ideology.

-7 new resources; Coffee, Coral, Cotton, Hemp, Olives, Salt, and Tobacco.

- The best North America map ever created for Civ4. Hands down, including dynamic winter. Northern USA and Canada will experience changes in terrain that vary by season. Watch the St. Lawrence river freeze and re-thaw every year!

- Many new units and buildings. This part is still in the works so its unknown exactly how many new units and buildings we'll have. 90% of these are never before seen (or at least properly used within a mod) to the civ4 community. Includes Sioux Camp (spawns units), Commanders (gives extra strength to nearby units) includes 2 UU's Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant (including art thank you Bernie14 your the best!), Lieutenants (works like GG except is not quite as good, but is buildable), Garrisons (an upgrade of the barracks), and Cantonments (an upgrade of the garrison), and many many more that are still in the works.

- Every civilization has its own custom unit art style. All units will be wearing correct uniforms.

- All new custom events! Including part of the succession, emancipation proclamation and foreign intervention (that is if the CSA can pull it off)

- Many intriguing scenario's within one map. You wont be bored after playing either Union or CSA once.

- many undecided modcomps from civFanatics. This is all undecided and may come at a later release.

- and much much more that I've already forgotten.

we still have 2-3 months before a solid playable version is released, but you can help with advice and suggestions.

ps. The first post is a bit out-dated so don't pay attention to that right now, I'll edit and fix it up soon.

pps. you can all thank EmperorFool for helping me integrate the python, and kevinman4404 for the map and dynamic winter.

Top Bottom