Improving turn time- what have you done?

paulcarri

Prince
Hey all

I play civ v on my laptop, i know i should upgrade it etc..but with a laptop its a bit less easy.

Its not exactly a bad laptop - I3, 4gb memory and a crucial M4 ssd

I find i can play tiny or small maps ok (time between turns is about 30-45 seconds late game)

But standard or large bombs by midgame.

Im just trying to get an idea how you guys with lower end rigs got larger maps running, and turn times down?

Ive enabled quick combat and quick movement, but ive not been able to turn off ALL the animations (birds still circle around fish etc)

Ive changed config.ini which helped a lot.

Is there anything else i can do?. Ive read that lowering graphics helps, but i still dont understand why it would improve turn time?. Does CIV V actually render the whole map, visible or not each turn???

Id love to play some of the europe/world maps..but i cant seem to get them playable.

Thanks

well, just try lower grafics and see the results. Its quite obv, that you kinda need better hardware :)

I have an I5 2500K with 8GB ram + radeon 7xxx series 1GB Video card, and still late game turn time takes a while (at standart size map).

well i cant really upgrade the lappy, processor is welded in etc.

ill try dropping graphics, i just thought that would effect scrolling time, not turn time..ahh well

can i ask how long turn time, standard map is for you with that spec?

well, it can take 30 secs after many hours of play. I have noticed that it uses around 1.5GB-2GB RAM alone, so that might be your problem as well.

well i cant really upgrade the lappy, processor is welded in etc.

ill try dropping graphics, i just thought that would effect scrolling time, not turn time..ahh well

can i ask how long turn time, standard map is for you with that spec?

You can upgrade the Ram. Ram makes a huge difference in how programs work, almost as good as upgrading a processor. And it isn`t hard to do. Add more Ram.

I wonder. Would people tolerate 30 seconds waiting time to load a web page? (I guess not.)

My hardware is inferior to dragonxxx, still my turn times in the late demo are 20 seconds. (small map)
Those waiting times are a serious problem. Do some math and the "you're doing nothing" number gets scary.

Switching to the strategic view before pressing next turn will reduce turn times by 33% to 50%.

You can upgrade the Ram. Ram makes a huge difference in how programs work, almost as good as upgrading a processor. And it isn`t hard to do. Add more Ram.

I know, i work in IT :)

Ill monitor ram usage..it only helps if you run out!

Strat view helps- thanks

Change to strategic view before hitting next turn. Works like a charm.

This, and press the "W" key after issuing your units orders -- the next unit will be selected immediately, eliminating the (sometimes) 5-10 second delay after (usually) combat. Also makes "Next Turn" come around a lot faster.

I'm going to echo the change to strategic view before the next turn.
And when you hit the point in the game that in the middle of the turn it's slow to refresh the science , culture, tourism, etc screens just say on strategic view for the rest of the game.

You can also turn all graphics settings as low as they can possibly go. In a couple of cases on the video options screen that is "none".

Noob question sorry - what's this, and how do you do it? Turn times late game with 12 players is pushing 120 seconds for me.

Theres a file in the game directory called config.ini

open it in notepad and edit the line saying 'gamethreading = 1' to 0

it massively helped for me, but i think it is only dual cores it helps.

switching to strategic view at end of turn massively helps too.

But im finding 'small' civ v maps feel bigger than small iv maps for some reason anyway

Theres a file in the game directory called config.ini

open it in notepad and edit the line saying 'gamethreading = 1' to 0

it massively helped for me, but i think it is only dual cores it helps.

switching to strategic view at end of turn massively helps too.

But im finding 'small' civ v maps feel bigger than small iv maps for some reason anyway

I saw in the file two similar variables:
EnableGameCoreThreading = 1
and
GameCoreThreadingUsesJobManager = 0

Is it any of these or am I missing something?

pretty sure its the first mate, though i did it a month ago so im only 99%

id check in tech section if worried, but i am pretty syre

Quick movement makes a huge improvement in turn times for me even on huge maps. I would like option so that it was only applied on the AI turns, though, so I could still watch my guys move. :p

Resize to window mode and size it next to another app...I watch netflix movies cordoned off to the side of my 40 inch TV while waiting for my turn. Or read a book. Try Roger Crowley's 1453 or Siege of Malta. I highly recommend them. Sure running another app sounds counter intuitive, but the distraction of a movie can distract your illusion of time.

Top Bottom