Does a built Monument in the capital become FREE with Tradition?

no, you will get a free culture building, the amphitheater, when you research the tech.

Once you research drama and poetry, you get the free amphitheater and not the free monument since it was already built.

never hard build a monument if going tradition.

Frankly it takes too long to get to the second social policy to not build the monument. On standard speed 25 turns to get Tradition opener if I don't pop a culture ruin, then even longer to get the free monument!

On the other hand other things are not built earlier as a result. Like a worker, granary, shrine, library or settler. For me it's often a very difficult decision which of those to build and one with which I have little consistency.

So far I have felt that if I start Mining I am not going to have a worker built in time to make use of it, particularly if I go double scout (which I often do on a Huge map), but even if I get Pottery to open up Calendar and granaries and shrines, I don't know what to do next that is optimal.

I don't know what is a good double scout build, especially with Raging Barbarians. There's a good thread here about it:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=484298

for Ethiopia it isn't true and water maps as well. Otherwise 2 scouts will pop a culture ruin.

I know. And that's why I chimed in. You said originally to "never" hard build a monument when going tradition. But in this post, you admit that that is not true.

I know. And that's why I chimed in. You said originally to "never" hard build a monument when going tradition. But in this post, you admit that that is not true.

I never play as Ethiopia or on water maps personally.

Technicly, you cannot build Monument with Ethiopia, but thats probably the only civ that I would waste turns to build it when going tradition.

So if you already have a monument in a city legalism would provide a monument, then you'll get a free amphitheater with drama instead?

I've always sold any relevant monuments before adopting legalism.

Otherwise 2 scouts will pop a culture ruin.
Or a bunch of maps/locations of barbarian camps.

I'll skip a monument with an early enough culture ruin if I'm going tradition. The only time that's even remotely guaranteed is if you're playing Shoshone.

So if you already have a monument in a city legalism would provide a monument, then you'll get a free amphitheater with drama instead?

I've always sold any relevant monuments before adopting legalism.

Yes, you get a free amphitheater when you research Drama & Poetry.

Selling monuments before taking Legalism seems like a bad-habit throw-back to vanilla. The gold you get from scrapping the monument is trivial, and you don't have to do these gyrations to get a free culture building (as you did in vanilla).

If you found a religion and choose choral music (+2 culture from temple in city with 5 followers), will you get free temple when you take legalism? Assuming both monument and amphitheater have already been built. And if you have choral music but your city has less than 5 followers, will legalism pops you a free temple still?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you found a religion and choose choral music (+2 culture from temple in city with 5 followers), will you get free temple when you take legalism? Assuming both monument and amphitheater have already been built. And if you have choral music but your city has less than 5 followers, will legalism pops you a free temple still?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, because that's not a culture building. Your religion doesn't add stats to the building, it's counted as "religion bonuses."

No, because that's not a culture building. Your religion doesn't add stats to the building, it's counted as "religion bonuses."
None-the-less I remember someone reported a while back that Siam will get free Wats (2 science / 3 culture) and I think also the talk was Mud Pyramid Mosques for Songhai (2 faith / 2 culture), but then those are native yields and not added through a belief, so that might be treated differently.

None-the-less I remember someone reported a while back that Siam will get free Wats (2 science / 3 culture) and I think also the talk was Mud Pyramid Mosques for Songhai (2 faith / 2 culture), but then those are native yields and not added through a belief, so that might be treated differently.

Maybe that's the case, but even if it is, it's still not the same, because the bonus is on the building, and not on the religion.

See Divine Inspiration -- it doesn't all of a sudden add 2 faith to every wonder in it's description. It simply adds 2 faith per wonder (from religion) on your city output screen. The reason it's probably different is that what if your religion got supplanted in that city? You would have to lose the free buildings.

Top Bottom