Siam infinite city state friend

oaklandmurphy

Chieftain
I've been messing around with Siam's UA and I think I have found a way to totally abuse it: as soon as you are able to open patronage open it and get consulates: +20 resting influence with city states, also prioritize religion and get papal primacy: +15 resting influence with city states following your religion, I haven't tried it yet but if these stack you can just spam missionaries and every city state you convert becomes your friend and thus you can get insane bonuses (even better with Siam's UA) and you will never need to worry about culture, faith, food in the capital etc.

Has anybody tried this, what were the results?

In theory it would work. But I think it's a strategy that looks better on paper than in reality, like you say you need to "spam missionaries" to convert all city states, and question is whether this will be a good investment. Also, the AI seems to LOVE to convert city states to their religion even if they follow another religion, meaning that you would have to fight a continuous battle against the AI to convert those city states, again emphasizing that this would not just be "free" goodies. I guess you could go piety and pick the reformation belief that makes cities follow your religion only lose half their followers when an enemy prophet works on it, but I think a better strategy (which I have used with success) is picking the reformation belief that makes gold gifts to city states 30 % more effective, combines with the Patronage bonus I find this to be very healthy strategy for Siam.

I don't think so. The UA explicitly states that Food, Culture and Faith gain from City States is 50%. I don't believe you get more happiness, but you apparently get a 10 exp bonus from units gifted from militaristic CSs.

The Papal Primacy is great but you need to the powerhouse of religion since you can only control a small radius of City States since the further you are the less powerful your religion becomes.

All very well to say spam missionaries but they aint cheap and get progressively more expensive with each one you produce. Faith is not easy to get a lot of - Shrine gives +1, Temple +2. Where else can you get it from?

All very well to say spam missionaries but they aint cheap and get progressively more expensive with each one you produce. Faith is not easy to get a lot of - Shrine gives +1, Temple +2. Where else can you get it from?

If you get a good pantheon you can cultivate faith from resources. Also, when picking your religion there are certain beliefs that give you a boost to faith production as well, increasing the faith you receive from all NW by 4 in one case, and adding +2 faith per wonder you own in another. It all depends on how you position yourself. I had 70 faith per turn in one game (King) and just continuously spammed GP near the end because I had so much saved up.

Well, let's see...spending lots of faith points on missionaries to get extra faith points from city states that already give you extra faith points does not seem like a good investment. Moving on.

50% more extra food in capital is good...but in other cities don't you get like, 1 food normally? I may be wrong though...so with the UA you get...what? 1, 2, in your other cities? 3 would be pretty good i suppose. Still there are much easier ways to pipe food to a city (trade routes) and usually i'm pretty selective on what city I want to grow, when. There may be benefits here, but it seems like a lot of work.

The culture is probably the best application especially if you can find many cultural CS to ally.

It's interesting but...I'm kind of over Thai as a civ. I really tried to like them...but yellow with red trim is pretty gross. The UU is bad (Knight UU are terrible) The UB comes to late, and the UA i think is not as good as it seemed to me, at first.

Also, they start in the jungle. No thanks.

Huh? The UU is great. A musketman with 3 moves available earlier and on a better tech path. Actually, all knight replacements are great. Elephants, camels and Keshiks. Well, almost all; sorry cavalry.

Missionaries are pretty much useless when trying to convert cities that have already adopted another religion.

Spamming Prophets is much better for that, however its too hard to convert distant CS regardless.

Using consulates and pledge combined with doing quests and giving gold gifts is more reliable.

Spamming missionaries to try to convert enemy cities is too much already. Getting other cities to convert can only be done by using great prophets but even like that it still is too much because the other civilization can use a inquisitor and easily clean up the mess you great prophet did. I think that religion should stay within the civilization it was made.. its too much trouble trying to convert all the cities unless you have that much faith and you're trying to spend.

Top Bottom