Circuits or straight paths?

TheologiaCrucis

Warlord
Do you like to interconnect all of your cities with road circuits, or do you just connect them all in one line?

A line is cheaper, but a looping roads helps to move units. :)

one line easy. looping roads is situational though, I normally road to the nearest AI

apparently situational is not a word?

situational.

Okay, wow, spell check? :lol:

Also, do you get a gold increase for roads connected to allied city states or friendly civs? I don't like building external roads unless they are to a city I want to knock down.

Fewest possible road tiles to road connect your cities is best in Civ V. (Minor exception of if playing the Incas, the road on hills is free so your only minimizing roads on flat land)

Fewest possible road tiles to road connect your cities is best in Civ V. (Minor exception of if playing the Incas, the road on hills is free so your only minimizing roads on flat land)

Does the Inca UA and tenet in Commerce tree apply to railroad as well as roads?

People usually have workers on hand to build emergency roads in times of war. When at peace, just use minimum number of road tiles.

I hate the road graphics and the way game connects them. The loops looks ugly so I try to use Y-junctions everywhere. For tactical reasons I try to put roads on the hills, choke points - warrior and archer in correct positions can do miracles :) Hmm but lines or loops? It depends from the map and my neighbors.

I use as few a roads as possible until I have a bit of spare cash. Then I like to interconnect everything like a proper civ would :)

Also, do you get a gold increase for roads connected to allied city states or friendly civs? I don't like building external roads unless they are to a city I want to knock down.

Nope, it has no positive effect on your income. It has a negative effect due to maintenance cost.

I always just do the bare minimum to connect cities. When I played Civ IV I would cover every square of my land with roads, but that's just a waste when I actually have to pay for them!

Some roads are cheap. Or can be made so by over-building roads in friendly CS's. It's worth having a few alternate routes, because things happen. But you should see all the favors I do for all my friends whom I have open borders with. :)

I hate the road graphics and the way game connects them. The loops looks ugly so I try to use Y-junctions everywhere.

I am relieved that I am not the only one who feels this way! Often I end up making my roads one or two tiles longer than really optimal, just to avoid 4-way intersections!

But you should see all the favors I do for all my friends whom I have open borders with.

Ugly, but I do that too! If I have a CS between two of my cities, I can't risk them jamming up my unit movement. Civilian units are a particular PITA since they can't move through other units.

Top Bottom