[Poll] What Nordic Civs do you want in Civ VI?

I voted Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. Sweden has the most important recent history (previous 500 years) of the three, Denmark is notable for the Viking age and it's invasion and plundering of various European nations, and Norway would be cool because it hasn't been done before and it could have an exploration theme due to it's colonization of Iceland and Greenland*.
Spoiler :
*according to this map on Wikipedia of Norwegian posessions in 1265

I don't think any of them will be present in Vanilla, given they'll probably want to add more civs from other parts of the world, but if one was I would choose Norway (since it would be new). I'd like to see all three come in eventually through DLC or expansion packs.

If they add multiple leaders, they can deconstruct blob civs (like india) using leaders.
They can also do that on a Viking Nation, and I would really like to see a viking civ bonuses for early/mid connected to leader bonuses for mid and late game (representing Swede, Denmark, Norway or Some other Unions in the between).

Viking civilization - A civilization focused mainly on trade and military warfare.
Danish Leader - focused on early/mid game raiding;
Norwegian Leader - focused on early/mid game expansion by sea;
Swedish leader - focused on mid/late game military tactical efficiency.

I would be fine with this choice, as civ can never cover every civilization in the history of the world.

But Denmark, Sweden and Norway should all be in the game if they make at least one of them.

Unitary Viking civ.
1) Probably most significant impact of Scandinavia in the history
2) Definitely the coolest part of Scandinavian history ;)
3) I think there are too many huge non-European civilisations to include to divide (very sparsely populated and hardly economically significant until modern times, maaaybe except Denmark) Nordic countries and include them separately. I liked Sweden in civ5 but wouldn't like to see two Scandinavian civilisations again, one is enough.

I'm agreeing with the above two posts. Reblob the Vikings, and give 'em different national leaders.

It's hilarious to me that people are so against blob civs like the Celts and the Polynesians, and here there are people arguing the Vikings ought to be a blob again. At least "Celtic" and "Polynesian" can broadly be described as general cultures. "Viking" was a profession.

I actually liked the way Civ V allowed Denmark to represent the Viking Era, while Sweden was representing more the height of the Swedish Empire during and after the Thirty Years' War. I wouldn't mind having the Vikings be represented by Norway and having Denmark be more of, say, a Kalmar-oriented civ. But yes, I agree that with the proliferation of European civs, more should be done to flesh out other parts of the world before adding more than one Scandinavian civ. Have a Norway civ to represent the Vikings early on, then go back later and add Sweden and Denmark, after we've got more than three civs each for Indochina, West Africa, and Native North America.

I actually liked the way Civ V allowed Denmark to represent the Viking Era, while Sweden was representing more the height of the Swedish Empire during and after the Thirty Years' War. I wouldn't mind having the Vikings be represented by Norway and having Denmark be more of, say, a Kalmar-oriented civ. But yes, I agree that with the proliferation of European civs, more should be done to flesh out other parts of the world before adding more than one Scandinavian civ. Have a Norway civ to represent the Vikings early on, then go back later and add Sweden and Denmark, after we've got more than three civs each for Indochina, West Africa, and Native North America.

I liked this too, but I'd like to see Kalmar Union and Margarethe - that covers all three without rendering them as a blob. Wishful thinking that we move away from the Danish Viking stereotype, perhaps? :p

I liked this too, but I'd like to see Kalmar Union and Margarethe - that covers all three without rendering them as a blob. Wishful thinking that we move away from the Danish Viking stereotype, perhaps? :p

As long as its margareta and not any of the clowns we call her successors Im game

If we are getting multiple leaders per civ down the line, with each leader getting a UA or UU specific to them, I wouldn't be opposed to Viking/Norse/Kalmar/North Sea/Scandinavia as a conglomerate with Cnut, Bluetooth, Leif Erikson, Margarethe, Haakon, Gustavus, etc.; as leaders bringing invidiual uniques from their respective countries (North Sea, Denmark, Iceland, Kalmar, Norway, Sweden, respectively). You could name it Norse/Scandinavia, have the Vikings as the civ UU, and then you're all set!

What they did in civ5 was very cool, denmark represents viking age and has a norwegian UU, sweden represents swedish empire age and has a finnish UU. Everybody is included!
As a swede i find viking age pretty boring by now but of course it is very iconic so I woul understand if they lumped us together in a viking civ. I prefer a Kalmar union civ if we cant be split again ;)

Personally, I'd be quite pleased if they made a Kalmar Union civ led by Margarethe. Not to mention impressed.

It would be a shame to see the iconic Viking age ignored, but any Viking-related stuff would be out of place in a Kalmar civ. Maybe an Iceland civ could represent that era? Granted Icelanders weren't so much into raiding Europe, but they are the ones that discovered and settled Greenland and (briefly) North America, so their "hardy Nordic navigator" credentials are unquestionable. There should be something in there about sagas, too, for Great Works of Writing.

I think none will be in the Vannila game. Some at least will be added as DLC, probably Denmark, possibly others, but not all. Because the history of the region interests me, I'll probably end up getting mods for all of the Scandinavian nations; the Finnish, Icelandic and the Faroese included.

A Norse civ under Margaret would be great! Just give 'em a Berserker for their UU and a sea going civ UA, and like a Saga unique great work. Then have the Kalmar uniques be Margaret's and later include Gustavus as a second leader with Swedish Empire uniques.

Just add house Stark to the base game, you already have Sean Bean, UA "game becomes 20x harder than in deity mode"

Jan Mayen !

More seriously though, I think the Sami could be in the list.
Samoyedic people would also be interesting, but they are a bit too far east for this thread.

It's hilarious to me that people are so against blob civs like the Celts and the Polynesians, and here there are people arguing the Vikings ought to be a blob again. At least "Celtic" and "Polynesian" can broadly be described as general cultures. "Viking" was a profession.

Yes, Viking was a profession, but the point still stands that a Norse civilization would both cover Scandinavia and not require Scandinavia to take up multiple slots that could have been filled by non-European nations. I'd be in favor of a Norse civilization. Though dialectally diverse and politically non-cohesive, the Norse were culturally closely linked; I don't see any reason why they couldn't be represented by one civ any more than we need the Mohawk, Seneca, Onondaga, Oneida, and Cayuga as separate civs.

Jan Mayen !

More seriously though, I think the Sami could be in the list.
Samoyedic people would also be interesting, but they are a bit too far east for this thread.

Leader Bjorn Bearsson
UU: Grizzly veterans
UU: Artic cavalry
UB: Polar outpost
UA: Right to bear arms
UAL: Bear witness

Just a Norse civ would be fitting themes of this game: exploration and religious warfare. Pitching Norse gods v. Greek gods v. Aztec gods v. Egyptian gods.

Top Bottom