Do you play OP civs like Korea or Babylon?

I think play style is so critical in determining OP. While I appreciate that the spirit of the post was in reference to generally-accepted strong civs, I have found other people absolutely dominate with civs that I am just meh with. A friend of mine crushes me every time with Babylon but when I play them I do... Just okay. However, when I take Egypt (not an especially dominant civ at higher levels where you get NO wonders, cept the stupid himeji castle) I can't lose. My religion piles bonuses on the already free temple UB and... See y'all in the modern era.

(I will not mention their UU. Nobody should EVER mention their UU.)

Korea's UA is so ridic. "Have the OP policy Secularism for free at start. Also get science on planted Great People. ALSO get seven research-agreement-like boosts throughout the game as you develop your capital." I guess the balance is that watching Great Library go off turn 18 makes you cry. :\
You could cut out any one part of that and still have something top tier. Babylon is even worse. Get the effect of taking Humanism twice, for free. Also, in case that wasn't enough science, just have an Academy in the Ancient era. Go on. x_x Again, Babylon's thing could be -just- the one free Scientist and it would compete. I'd argue the GPP boost on its own would be fine too, if not very flashy.

As to the question. My favorite civ is Arabia, because money and religion = <3 for me. I also love Chariot Archers and the upgrade path for that is great. But I dislike the dominance of the Camel Archers. Their stats are beefy already without the retreat after attacking. Keshiks make sense as a whole ; Camel Archers just attract fear and hate surrounding the medieval era. I wish that aspect was weaker so I could enjoy them more.

(If I had designed Poland, I would have made the social policies "bonus" instead of free, increasing the cost of the next policy. But you can't even mod them to work like that without changing the DLL AFAIK.)

It's that their UA doesn't seem to encourage any particular playstyle even if it is a very good UA.

See, that makes it more fun to me compared to the other powerful civs mentioned here. I like that that they're more open ended instead of force-feeding you a prefabricated game plan.

Babylon if I want an easy game. Haven't delved too much into Poland yet, saving them for a rainy day. Korea just seems boring to me.

Top Bottom