Question concerning the "Restart Game" feature

AmericanDestiny

Chieftain
The option to restart the game on the first turn - does it simply give a different startling location on the same generated map like in Civ 4 or does it generate completely new map, AI's, etc based on the settings I used last?

New map, but same settings as far as I know. Not sure if AI's changes (if random). Probably.

On a slight tangent, it took me a while to figure out that you can still play some turns and then use the Restart game function. I felt pretty silly when I realized it.

Sorry for the slight thread necromancy, but where can you find the restart option? Thanks in advance!

When you start a new game, as long as you are still on turn 0 the menu (top right) will display Restart as the first option. If you go past turn 0, then you have to exit to the main menu and start a new game (Play Game uses the same settings as your last game, so it is the "restart" option on the main menu).

For the love of all that is holy dont use this feature. I have spent more hours clicking this button, going "eh" at the start, and then repeating.....

If you want to play the same map with a different starting location, you can export it and use it for a new game. (This seems to remove all ruins though.)

I restarted the same game twice from the same reload, and the new scenario was exactly the same in each case. Is it predetermined?

On a reload, yes. The only way you get a truly new playing field is by selecting Restart Game on turn 0, otherwise you get the same everything.

When you start a new game, as long as you are still on turn 0 the menu (top right) will display Restart as the first option. If you go past turn 0, then you have to exit to the main menu and start a new game (Play Game uses the same settings as your last game, so it is the "restart" option on the main menu).

Or, if you go past turn 0:
1) Go to the Load screen
2) Click the Autosave box in the top right
3) Reload the "Initial Save Game" (it shouldn't take long since you haven't played many turns)
4) After the game reloads, go to Menu
5) Click Restart

That works too, but doesn't it yield the same result as Play Game (generates new map with same settings)? Anyway, not sure which is faster/fewer clicks -- probably doesn't matter, unless you are playing with mods, in which case Shaglio's method preserves your mod settings.

That works too, but doesn't it yield the same result as Play Game (generates new map with same settings)? Anyway, not sure which is faster/fewer clicks -- probably doesn't matter, unless you are playing with mods, in which case Shaglio's method preserves your mod settings.

In my experience, it uses the same map settings (Type, Size, # of Civs, # of CSs, etc.), but it generates a new map (unless it's a set map like Japan or the British Isles of course) and new starting location.

I'm also fairly certain that it uses the same AI opponents as well. I remember playing a game where I wanted to hide away on my own continent for as long as possible, then set out to discover the world and attempt to be the one to found the WC. And who should stumble upon my starting locale, thereby ruining my plan, but Kamehameha himself (well, a Warrior on his behalf). I kept restarting the game only to find Polynesia was in it again. So I assume Restart uses the same civs, but I've never go so far as to check the code (I wouldn't even know how to anyway).

On a reload, yes. The only way you get a truly new playing field is by selecting Restart Game on turn 0, otherwise you get the same everything.

I saved the game at turn 0 before I settled or moved my warrior so when I reload the game I still have the 'restart' option. I initially figured its easier to reload that game and restart than go through the palaver of going to main menu as I am using mods. Each time I 'restarted' the reloaded game, it went to the exact same new start. So is there a pseudorandom sequence at play here, like the old random integer generators that were actually just a massive repeated sequence or is the next new start generated at the same time as the current one?

I saved the game at turn 0 before I settled or moved my warrior so when I reload the game I still have the 'restart' option. I initially figured its easier to reload that game and restart than go through the palaver of going to main menu as I am using mods. Each time I 'restarted' the reloaded game, it went to the exact same new start. So is there a pseudorandom sequence at play here, like the old random integer generators that were actually just a massive repeated sequence or is the next new start generated at the same time as the current one?

I use a couple of mods so if I've played a few turns I do the same thing as you and reload the original autosave then hit restart. Shaves a few seconds off going to the main menu then doing the mods again.

I always get a new map.

I guess I need to put my glasses on more often. :blush:
Whilst the starts in each case were similar, they were not identical. I got a desert start 5 times in row. Must be something to do with the civ I'm playing ( Wales from lost civs) and the start bias etc. :crazyeye:

I got a desert start 5 times in row. Must be something to do with the civ I'm playing ( Wales from lost civs) and the start bias etc. :crazyeye:
Many people forget the desert origins of the Welsh Empire. Climate change, sadly, brought about their downfall as the desert gave way to a greener, more lush, environment.

As for Restart Game, I don't use it as it tends to make my computer bog down. A quicker solution, for me, is to exit the game and then go through the whole process of picking mods, setting game parameters etc.

However, I have picked up bad habit, which can only be described as cheating. To avoid having to go through that entire process, I often use the Ingame Editor mod to quickly glance at a map. I do this to avoid having a starting location which handicaps the UA of the civ I am playing. I have... on occasion.... moved my settle to the location of another civ, and move that civ's settler to my starting location. :mischief:

If a starting location is so bad that it would handicap any civ (eg treeless tundra), I just restart. Otherwise it would feel too much like Ceti Alpha V. :nono:

Top Bottom