Fanfiction?

LordWut

Chieftain
Does anyone here read or write Civilization fanfiction on fanfiction.net?
https://fanfiction.net/game/Civilization-Series/

It's great :)

You should totally check some of them out, and support some of the talented writers in the civ community :)

But, I hear you ask, what is fanfiction?

Fanfiction is writing by a fan of a book, or movie or something , based on that thing.
Yeah, yeah, it is my first post here (on this account, at least) , but it's surprisingly quiet over there with the civ series, and I thought I'd raise a bit of attention :)

Thanks, and if you want to read a good one, read 6000 years of War (at http://fanfiction.net/s/7144629/1/6000-Years-of-War) , or Ruse (at http://fanfiction.net/s/10207491/1/Ruse) :)

I don't read fanfiction there, although I am heavily involved in the Stories & Lets Play section of these forums, but I will check out this fanfiction :)

So you joined here just to try and get folks to go over to your site?

Nah, I have another account, but password reset link isn't sending :(

Besides it's FAR from my site, with more than hundreds of thousands of hits per day, on the more popular ones.
Thing is, the civ section is really neglected, and there is some excellent work there, with no recognition. Thanks for replying but the hostility really wasn't needed... I'm only posting to support the writers who get maybe one, two reviews and stop because they think no one's seeing their work - it's hard to write well, especially with no criticism or feedback .

Nah, I have another account, but password reset link isn't sending :(

Besides it's FAR from my site, with more than hundreds of thousands of hits per day, on the more popular ones.
Thing is, the civ section is really neglected, and there is some excellent work there, with no recognition. Thanks for replying but the hostility really wasn't needed... I'm only posting to support the writers who get maybe one, two reviews and stop because they think no one's seeing their work - it's hard to write well, especially with no criticism or feedback .

How do I post there? What I like about it is the fact you don't have to post screenshots. That is the main reason I don't write on here more.

You should tell the writers there to come here and write in the Stories and Let's Play section of this forum. They will not be neglected here. Also, I'm pretty sure you do not have to post screenshots to write a story. People reading your story might beg you to, but there's no rule about it.

Can I write fan fiction about Jon Shafer and Sid Meier?

Jon and Sid watched the sun set from the sofa in the observation deck of Sid's fully functional 1/1 scale replica of the Space Battleship Yamato. They could hear the bustling below as the afternoon all male model crew was being relieved by the also all male model night crew.

Can I write fan fiction about Jon Shafer and Sid Meier?

Yup, most probably! :lol:

You should tell the writers there to come here and write in the Stories and Let's Play section of this forum. They will not be neglected here. Also, I'm pretty sure you do not have to post screenshots to write a story. People reading your story might beg you to, but there's no rule about it.

They, as am I, are probably aware of this place. It takes some good devotion to write fanfiction, and it does make sense that they write it on fanfiction.net, y'know? :p
Of course, but who wants people to beg for screenshots? Simply creative stories, like Ruse or 6000 Years above can't have screenshots! The stories here are nearly always based on a save game, whereas there, you have the real feel of the battle, the rush, the diplomacy, the moments leading to the unveiling of a wonder... Melodrama, I know, but that's what you get with good [fan]fiction :)

Thank you this is cool. :D

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Thanks, Browd, for posting the link to that story. LordWut, I am hoping to read more stories like that here. So I had a selfish motive for my first reply. But if their niche market is here, they should come here. Supply and demand. They are lost in a glut of supply there, when the demand for their work is here.

Edit - plus, it would be great practice to hone their skills with good feed back.

I think you can find high-quality fiction here, with "melodrama" and game screenshots (not just based on a completed game). One great recent example: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=502884
Oh, I've read that, one of the few of its kind around here... It's probably one of the reasons I went on to try and find more like it. By melodrama I was on about what I said >.>

Yeah, but that's the point my man. You can get good fiction here, with screenshots, but there, you can write a really good story without!

Thanks, Browd, for posting the link to that story. LordWut, I am hoping to read more stories like that here. So I had a selfish motive for my first reply. But if their niche market is here, they should come here. Supply and demand. They are lost in a glut of supply there, when the demand for their work is here.

Edit - plus, it would be great practice to hone their skills with good feed back.

It's low supply, low-decent demand there tbqh. Their niche market is there, without the limits of needing screenshots or having a savegame...

Mind you, I have permission from the author of Ruse to post it here, so let's see the response he gets :3

Top Bottom