México: ¡Tierra y Libertad!

The polling will probably end tonight when I make the update. The system isn't really set yet, I'll figure it out as we go :p Also, 1,000 posts and 60,000 views! [party] thanks so much guys!

Election of 1862: Ignacio Comonfort Takes Presidency and Liberales Take Congress​

Newly Elected President, Ignacio Comonfort

In a surprise twist, the people of Mexico elected Ignacio Comonfort to be their president, who barely beat out Juan Alvarez for the spot. It was expected to be a relatively comfortable win for the vice president of famed president Benito Juarez, but Mexicans awoke to find a Conservadore to be their president. While the Liberales did not win the presidency, the Conservadore who did win is markedly more liberal than his counterparts. Liberales also need not be too worried, because their party won a majority of 56% in Congress, barely beating out the Conservadores, and leaving Ignacio with a minority in the Legislative Branch.

In his speech Ignacio promised a safer Mexico, and would bring about as much change as is necessary to make sure his citizens are not put in danger by American extremists. He also promised that Colombia would not suffer alone as Britain embargoed the South American nation, saying that they would trade goods with their Southern ally. In the final leg of his speech, Ignacio issued a statement to the world that it would be stronger, better, and all over more powerful by the time he was done.

Senator Santiago Valentin de Montes, Conservadore: Amendment to Mexicana Ley Exclusividad

I would like to propose an amendment to the still enabled "Mexicana Ley Exclusividad", or "Mexican Exclusivity Act". As it stands, anyone of American descent is not allowed entrance into the governance of Mexican land above small municipal provinces. I propose we change this.

The European American is still dangerous, but there is someone who is not, the Americans of African descent. I propose an amendment is added stating

"Any man that is both of African descent where half of his blood is African and found to be loyal to the Mexican state shall be exempt from any laws prohibiting the rise of Americans through political ranks."

I find it abhorrently wrong that the people we saved, the African Americans, and the people who are hated by these American extremists just as much as us are treated just as those who run the KKK. Black Americans are our ally, and we must treat them as such.

Actually, thank you for posting that. That's a perfect segue into what I was going to say.

Everyone that has any legislation they want to pass, post it now so it can all be voted on en masse.

Actually, thank you for posting that. That's a perfect segway into what I was going to say.

Everyone that has any legislation they want to pass, post it now so it can all be voted on en masse.

(OFF TOPIC)
You probably meant a segue, not a
Spoiler :

(/OFF TOPIC)

I, Senator Jose Morales of the Conservadores party would like to propose some matters for consideration:

1st. On the Colombian Britain war, I suggest we reestablish diplomatic ties with Colombia, and negotiate with Britain on stopping the war, offering up to 1000 gold on Colombia's behalf. I also say we recognize Colombian independence

2nd. I suggest a Mexicanization project on the territory we conquered from America. If we do not make these people feel like they are mexicans, then we will have rebel problems on our hands. I believe the first step to this is to fund volunteer organizations already in place that offer to teach African Americans to read and write in Spanish. I also suggest we fund Catholic missionary work, which includes charity. I also propose infrastructure projects to connect markets in these territories to the national Mexican market.

One more day to propose legislation, then we vote on it.

Legislation: Congress of 1862

Vote on each piece of legislation seperately.​

African American Inclusion Act: Senator Santiago Valentin de Montes, Conservadores

Spoiler :
I would like to propose an amendment to the still enabled "Mexicana Ley Exclusividad", or "Mexican Exclusivity Act". As it stands, anyone of American descent is not allowed entrance into the governance of Mexican land above small municipal provinces. I propose we change this.

The European American is still dangerous, but there is someone who is not, the Americans of African descent. I propose an amendment is added stating

"Any man that is both of African descent where half of his blood is African and found to be loyal to the Mexican state shall be exempt from any laws prohibiting the rise of Americans through political ranks."

I find it abhorrently wrong that the people we saved, the African Americans, and the people who are hated by these American extremists just as much as us are treated just as those who run the KKK. Black Americans are our ally, and we must treat them as such.
Yea-5
Nay-1

Mexican-Colombian Wartime Trading Pact: Senator Jose Morales, Conservadores
Spoiler :
On the Colombian Britain war, I suggest we reestablish diplomatic ties with Colombia, and negotiate with Britain on stopping the war, offering up to 1000 gold on Colombia's behalf. I also say we recognize Colombian independence
Yea-3
Nay-3

Mexican Naturalization Act: Senator Jose Morales, Conservadores
Spoiler :
I suggest a Mexicanization project on the territory we conquered from America. If we do not make these people feel like they are mexicans, then we will have rebel problems on our hands. I believe the first step to this is to fund volunteer organizations already in place that offer to teach African Americans to read and write in Spanish. I also suggest we fund Catholic missionary work, which includes charity. I also propose infrastructure projects to connect markets in these territories to the national Mexican market.
Yea-5
Nay-1

I, Congressman Don Q. Hoté, vote Yea on the bill proposed by Congressmen Camel II and the Mexican Colombian Wartime Trading Pact. I however vote Nay to the Mexican Naturalization Act.

I would support this bill on the basis of expanding infrastructure, but I do not believe we need to force Spanish onto our citizens, nor do I believe we need to force the Catholic religion onto them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote Yea on the African American Inclusion Act
Yea on the Mexican-Colombian Wartime Trading Pact and
Yea on the Mexican Naturalization Act

I don't see it as forcing Catholicism onto these people, rather offering it through missions in the area. In addition to this, Spanish is the language of governance in Mexico, and by teaching these people Spanish they will be more able to succeed in our nation.

Of course we are forcing Catholicism onto those people; sending missionaries there to convert them when they obviously aren't adopting it themselves is forcing them to follow a religion we want them to. If these people want to embrace Catholicism themselves, that is perfectly fine. If we go so far as to shove our beliefs onto them, then we are no better than our former Spanish overlords.

I see nothing wrong with letting them learn Spanish; it always makes me happy to see others learning our language, but we should be embracing English, not shaming it. The purpose of the bill is to prevent "rebel problems on our hands." Do you not see the problem in this? We are forcing a lifestyle onto our constituents so that may follow the majority. We are crushing diversity and a unique lifestyle much different to our own.

You may say it is much more useful to learn Spanish in our country because that is the language that we as a government use. Why do we not embrace our English speaking citizens, and allow both languages in our bills and laws? Why do we not embrace the two languages of our great nation?

-Signed, Liberale Congressman Don Q. Hoté.

The only actions mentioned in regards to Catholicism is:
I also suggest we fund Catholic missionary work, which includes charity.
we
No where does it suggest that we force conversion of anyone. If they wish to stay Protestant, we are legally obliged to accept that, as we are a nation that supports free religion. Charity work does not inherently mean conversion. I don't necessarily support this clause, but overall there is nothing wrong with this that should lead to getting rid of the rest of the act.

In regards to the learning of Spanish, it is necessary that people learn Spanish to be involved in governance. We can embrace English, but if they don't know the most basic of Spanish then they will be stuck at the bottom of the rung. We want these allies of Mexico to be involved in the administration of American territories, and the only way they can both administrate English-speaking citizens and work with Spanish-speaking leaders is by at least knowing the rudimentary basics of Spanish. By spreading Spanish we will not alienate these people and they will no longer see themselves as outsiders.

They will learn Spanish slowly by being in our nation, but why should it be slow? We need to offer them Spanish lessons to speed the process up.

-Senator Santiago Valentin de Montes

But what else would missionary work entail? Yes, sure, one could be sent as a missionary to build things such as churches or hospitals or whatnot, but to say these missionaries are not going to try and convert people into Catholicism is naive. Yes, giving charity is nice, but these places already have thriving cities. We are not being saviors by sending missionaries and charities.

We also need not say that sole English speakers will be kept at the bottom rung. Eventually, if these people have representation, English will seep into our government (along with Spanish) and we will become a bilingual nation. No, I am not opposed to teaching people Spanish, but why should we shame our citizens for not speaking the language of the majority?

-Signed, Liberale Congressman Don Q. Hoté

Nay on the African American Inclusion Act:
We should face all Americans the same way. Discrimination against discrimination is still discrimination.

Nay on the Mexican-Colombian Wartime Trading Pact and
Recognise their indepedence sure. But paying them? I see that their leader is very successfull. It isn't like the British will reconquer them, on contrary they might take even more lands from the British, so no need to intervere.

Yea on the Mexican Naturalization Act

But what else would missionary work entail? Yes, sure, one could be sent as a missionary to build things such as churches or hospitals or whatnot, but to say these missionaries are not going to try and convert people into Catholicism is naive. Yes, giving charity is nice, but these places already have thriving cities. We are not being saviors by sending missionaries and charities.

We also need not say that sole English speakers will be kept at the bottom rung. Eventually, if these people have representation, English will seep into our government (along with Spanish) and we will become a bilingual nation. No, I am not opposed to teaching people Spanish, but why should we shame our citizens for not speaking the language of the majority?

-Signed, Liberale Congressman Don Q. Hoté

You sir, seem to misunderstand missionaries, and in your misunderstanding, insult them. i myself have engaged in such work in the Congo. What we do is no more and no less than spread the word of the Lord. We do not engage in any barbaric Spanish inquisition type torture to convert others. We do not discriminate in our donations for conversion. We simply go to foreign lands, subject ourselves to any manner of potential ills because we love our fellow man and do not wish to see him burn in hell if we can prevent it. We make ourselves examples of what being a Catholic means and thus encourage good people to try and live up to that standard. There are other benefits to missionary work though in the question of the american territories. While the Mexican government itself is secular, Mexico is a Catholic nation. The values and creeds of Catholicism have steeped itself in our national character. Even if no one converts, we can show our new subjects our national values.

- Jose Morales

yes on the African American Inclusion Act: Mexico should make it a policy to reward its allies, not punish them with our foes.

no on the Colombian Wartime act: I still believe Mexico should recognize Colombian independence, but I might have been too hasty with the negotiating on Colombia's behalf part. With the way the war is going, the Colombians might win without Mexican aid.

Yes on the Mexican Naturalization Act

OOC: Look man, in Victoria 2 terms, Mexico is probably in some kind of moralism/ pluralism type deal. Don't jump to a secular society just yet. :lol:

Yea for the African American Inclusion Act (though my "Yea" comes with the suggestion to change it to do "African Mexican Inclusion Act")
Yea for the Mexican-Colombian Wartime Trading Pact
Yea for the Mexican Naturalization Act

I just need one more person to vote and break the tie of the second piece of legislation.

Top Bottom