Do you play OP civs like Korea or Babylon?

Depends also on which difficulty level are we talking, as science bonus for Babylonians in 7th level is not so much decisive as in lower levels, but I agree that if you play Babylon it is the good way to step by step ladder to the throne of Civ 5 progress.
Personally I like to give chance to every civs ot there in at least 2-3 diff. levels (first lower off course and then up) and the difference maps...at first if i play sea oriented civs like England I choose a map with a lot of sea and the other game I choose a map with small portion of water just to feel the difference.
But whatever the civs you are playing, the main thing is to try to find the "just one more turn" moment and to enjoy it...

I don't think "OP" is the best term to describe them. Better in my book is "easiest to leverage."

Take Maya for example. It doesn't take a genius game plan. "1. Make Pyramids. 2. Profit."

Making the most of a lot of other civs takes a bit more doing. However, having done so, they're equally as viable if not more so than any of these "science civs."

guys,

what you think about the Japan-civ ?

is the Bushido-Ability as strong as i think ? ( i think its strong )

I honestly don't have enough skill with the game to know what is overpowered and what isn't. but I'll play both of these now that that seems to be the general consensus.

Is there a ranking somewhere of generally accepted most powerful to least powerful?

guys,

what you think about the Japan-civ ?

is the Bushido-Ability as strong as i think ? ( i think its strong )

I think the Bushido ability is moderate. While its a nice combat advantage to have your weak units fight at full strength, they will still take damage and die if they hit when too weak. Also tech seems to make the biggest difference in war, so it just seems lackluster. The culture from water improvements is nice but nothing huge.

I think the Bushido ability is moderate. While its a nice combat advantage to have your weak units fight at full strength, they will still take damage and die if they hit when too weak. Also tech seems to make the biggest difference in war, so it just seems lackluster. The culture from water improvements is nice but nothing huge.

thanks for the reply !

you are right,but still when you have a japanese Archer-unit vs. a korean Archer-unit for example,with same promotions,the japanese unit will win due to the bushido-ability.

but nonetheless its right cause this case is very rare.the japanese are the "one-by-one duel masters " it seems ( only with the same promotions )

thats not useless,it gives me a good feeling when i play Japan ( and i only play Japan )

For those interested, here's a tier list:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=505057

As for Japan, Bushido is nice, but it has been nerfed by game changes. It's also not strong enough to ensure an archer an insta-win, if the Korean archer got the first shot in, the Korean one might still win. I like Japan, but they don't have anything truly groundbreaking compared to some other civs.

For those interested, here's a tier list:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=505057

As for Japan, Bushido is nice, but it has been nerfed by game changes. It's also not strong enough to ensure an archer an insta-win, if the Korean archer got the first shot in, the Korean one might still win. I like Japan, but they don't have anything truly groundbreaking compared to some other civs.

is that true ? the first shot is more important ?

in my game it was always that my japanese units felt stronger than the others....
but perhaps the reason for that is that i play on Prince by now.......

is the next higher difficulty much more harder ?

Alright, let's see your points.
- Start beside Shaka/Atilla
Yeah see, that goes for all civs. And even then, Science civs can more easily maintain their science then other victims of early warmongers can. Oh, and Korea/Babs/Maya need no stinkin' GL to rush ahead in science. In fact, on higher difficulties it usually gets ignored because the AI is too fast anyway. Furthermore, Korea has come medieval a pretty impressive attack-slayer-unit in its arsenal, which helps a lot.

Shaka is an a-hole. Seriously, he's a runaway in every game he appears for me. I think his AI is broken or something. It's like the other civs don't know how to deal with him and he always ends up conquering entire continents.

Shaka is an a-hole. Seriously, he's a runaway in every game he appears for me. I think his AI is broken or something. It's like the other civs don't know how to deal with him and he always ends up conquering entire continents.

I feel you. That's exactly what I see as well, although it has to be said that if it's not Shaka, then usually it is one of the other warmonger civs like Assyria or Germany.
Heck, I've even seen Gandhi warmoger the living daylights out of rival civs and become 'the' runaway civ through war. Rarely is an all-peaceful civ in the lead, as far as I can tell. Perhaps we as human players just need to war more to keep those runaways at check :mischief:

is that true ? the first shot is more important ?

in my game it was always that my japanese units felt stronger than the others....
but perhaps the reason for that is that i play on Prince by now.......

is the next higher difficulty much more harder ?

Up from Prince, not so much. Up from King, that's when it gets challenging!

IMHO, Japan's Bushido is best for defensive infantry. They are the meatshield in the front line, and although they fortify, they will always be taking hits.
Now, the AI will specifically target wounded units. A fortified infantry unit is already pretty tough, but with bushido, they are really a force to be reckoned with.
Your artillery behind will benefit from this fact when they themselves aren't even wounded - you will do more damage that way too, because your infantry already will have weakened you bombarding targets more than usually.

Oh, and don't even mention fighters and bombers - with air repair promotion you can attack every turn, at least almost. Just make sure the planes never fully heal - your
opponents won't know what hit them.

It's that their UA doesn't seem to encourage any particular playstyle even if it is a very good UA.

I think it does, 2 or 3 city tall tradition> Patronage> take over world with UU.

No because the only challenge in civ5 is science. If you can be best or near the top you win. You can win in other ways but leading in science for most of the game is always a win.

I would only use them in deity, if the AI is going to abuse the game, then so am I!
Or if I want to break a win-turn record, like sub 350. I wonder who would be the fastest between babylon or korea by the way, I'm thinking babylon because of the ridiculous avantage of the early acaedemia.

Up from Prince, not so much. Up from King, that's when it gets challenging!

IMHO, Japan's Bushido is best for defensive infantry. They are the meatshield in the front line, and although they fortify, they will always be taking hits.
Now, the AI will specifically target wounded units. A fortified infantry unit is already pretty tough, but with bushido, they are really a force to be reckoned with.
Your artillery behind will benefit from this fact when they themselves aren't even wounded - you will do more damage that way too, because your infantry already will have weakened you bombarding targets more than usually.

Oh, and don't even mention fighters and bombers - with air repair promotion you can attack every turn, at least almost. Just make sure the planes never fully heal - your
opponents won't know what hit them.

perfect reply ! thanks !

I would only use them in deity, if the AI is going to abuse the game, then so am I!
Or if I want to break a win-turn record, like sub 350. I wonder who would be the fastest between babylon or korea by the way, I'm thinking babylon because of the ridiculous avantage of the early acaedemia.

You meant 250? ;)

Babylon is fine and very strong civ. Poland might be a bit overpowered but then again, on deity sometimes it feels fair to rule OP civs.

When I go into a new difficulty level I do. I've recently moved from King to Emperor. I've yet to complete an Emperor game so it looks like I'll probably go with either of these two mentioned to see if I can pull off a win.

Top Bottom