Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn

I'm happy to see an update! It looks very promising and I can't wait to try it out.

Unfortunately, I'm away from my home computer atm. Could anyone answer though. Does it have Poland?

What's the difference between this and C2C?

The difference is fairly huge. RAND is the successor to the "Rise of Mankind" mod and focuses on better gameplay, AI improvements, and game balance.

Caveman2Cosmos is a kitchen-sink mod that aims for as much content as possible, at the expense of AI, balance, etc.

Hi

First and foremost I would like to commendate a good mod in general. Civ can't be played without A New Dawn, that's for sure. However, I think the focus has become too much on "balancing" than on fixing bugs. The balancing now does not actually balance the game anymore, it just pivots the balance around the sweet spot like a sine function:
- Increasing research time in later ages. Ok, it makes civs more on equal terms in terms of technological advance, but the problem is that as researching takes more time, you are able to produce all buildings in a city before you get to the middle ages, making it easier to produce huge armies early on
- removing the morale from the confution holy building. Yes, it might have been unbalancing, but hell. Civ just got not as fun as before
- Republic city maintenance cost increased by 250!!!!!!!! percent. What the h*** is that supposed to be about? Is it supposed to mimic something in real life? Cause it goes against what Republic used to be in AND, and i cannot think of any good reason.
- warrior does not upgrade to light swordsman. Why not? When the incan special warrior does. That is the only upgrade you want for a warrior. Is it because you think it is too powerful? In my opnion, it would be the most logical upgrade as well. Far more than to archer (it is a melee unit after all).
- didn't like changing pyramid free building from irrigation canals to graveyard either. Turned pyramids from the best to a mediocore wonder, only worth taking for the engineer points. Though I think this act of balancing is one I will come to terms with, but you keep fixing that which really does not need fixing (as much as CTDs in turn 1000 on gigantic maps, which shouldn't happen, even though the game was not "designed for it")
Sorry about the ranting here. I really liked the mod. Just that the balance was better before (but they had bugs that made them unplayable, so you HAVE to update, no choices there).

Hi

First and foremost I would like to commendate a good mod in general. Civ can't be played without A New Dawn, that's for sure. However, I think the focus has become too much on "balancing" than on fixing bugs. The balancing now does not actually balance the game anymore, it just pivots the balance around the sweet spot like a sine function:
- Increasing research time in later ages. Ok, it makes civs more on equal terms in terms of technological advance, but the problem is that as researching takes more time, you are able to produce all buildings in a city before you get to the middle ages, making it easier to produce huge armies early on
- removing the morale from the confution holy building. Yes, it might have been unbalancing, but hell. Civ just got not as fun as before
- Republic city maintenance cost increased by 250!!!!!!!! percent. What the h*** is that supposed to be about? Is it supposed to mimic something in real life? Cause it goes against what Republic used to be in AND, and i cannot think of any good reason.
- warrior does not upgrade to light swordsman. Why not? When the incan special warrior does. That is the only upgrade you want for a warrior. Is it because you think it is too powerful? In my opnion, it would be the most logical upgrade as well. Far more than to archer (it is a melee unit after all).
- didn't like changing pyramid free building from irrigation canals to graveyard either. Turned pyramids from the best to a mediocore wonder, only worth taking for the engineer points. Though I think this act of balancing is one I will come to terms with, but you keep fixing that which really does not need fixing (as much as CTDs in turn 1000 on gigantic maps, which shouldn't happen, even though the game was not "designed for it")
Sorry about the ranting here. I really liked the mod. Just that the balance was better before (but they had bugs that made them unplayable, so you HAVE to update, no choices there).

1.) The research time balance is actually optional and can be turned off (in the game options when starting a game). A lot of players prefer to have research move according to the game clock, while some don't care.

2.) ;)

3.) Republic is designed for tiny civilizations, not big ones. If you only have 2-3 cities, Republic costs you very little but provides excellent bonuses. If you have a large empire, Republic will not work for you. Republic represents the early form of "Direct Democracy", not the later liberalism most people are accustomed to, this is why the civic unlocks fairly early. Democracy is the civic you are thinking of.

4.) You'd need to look at the upgrade tree, but I am pretty sure warrior does not upgrade to that because light swordsman are a city-attacker unit and warrior is a general combat unit.

5.) I usually find +1 health/happy in all cities (from the graveyard) is helpful, but YMMV.

If you have CTDs or other bugs, report them. Upload a save and we can debug & fix them. I can't fix bugs I am not aware of.

Is there a way to add Aaranda's religions mod to this mod?

Is there a way to add Aaranda's religions mod to this mod?

AAranda's religions were designed for RoM or maybe I did some minor changes and additions to them for RoM. I have not done anything to them since. You could try following the install instructions for them as they may work as they are. They probably wont be balanced and some are already included.

All the religions in AAranda's pack were in RoM AND but the modders went through and did some balancing which meant that some were removed. I would not recommend adding them back in.

I recently started a game in which the city names for the AI seemed to be randomised from the civ's list of city names. For example, Rome's capital was Sora, Persia's was Capisa and America's was called Portland. I've set up games since then and no matter how many times I set up a new game this has never happened again. Is it possible to get this feature working in all my games? I feel like this might be something obvious that I'm overlooking but I'd like to play more games with random city names, it really made it much more enjoyable. I can provide more information if needed.

I think the random names might be inexplicably linked to the Start as Minors game option.

Edit: assuming it has this. I though I was in the C2C thread and don't remember if RoM:AND has this option available.

Starting as a minor civ is an option. I've tried with it both on and off and it still isn't giving the random names out. Would you be able to elaborate on how they are linked if you have any more info?

Long time player of this mod. Awesome work. I have an issue though. I cannot "select all" when units are in ships. Ex. If I have 25 fighters on carriers, I am unable to select them all. I can select them one by one, and send them on their missions, but am unable to send them all at once.

Same applies to land units loaded in ships.

Any ideas? Thanks! And awesome work. Love the mod.

Top Bottom