Sevo's Civilopedia

naf4ever said:
Does the pedia file for units interact with any other python files that have changed?

Its odd that only the bomber and stealth bomber have this problem. On further analysis it appears that only "Domain" type combat modifiers are having this problem. I dont know why the button is missing either. Did they add some new xml tag to all air units maybe thats messing this up? I didnt see any.

I've noticed this. For some reason any "Domain" combat modifiers don't appear correctly in the pedia. I tried a few different variants without luck. Not sure what to do...it's a core DLL problem, I think, and not the pedia code.

Sevo said:
I've noticed this. For some reason any "Domain" combat modifiers don't appear correctly in the pedia. I tried a few different variants without luck. Not sure what to do...it's a core DLL problem, I think, and not the pedia code.

Odd thing is the vanilla version 1.61 pedia seems to be fine. Its just if i use it with sevopedia it gets all whacked out :( They must have changed something in the way that screen works.......

Ive been able to combine Sevopedia with Talchas's promotion pedia info mod and im happy to say that they work wonderfully together! His mod allows you to add a pedia xml tag for promotions so you can add more descriptions to them. Here is a pic of it with the Nationalist promotion from my mod:

If you also want to combine this with the sevomod your using its real easy. Just add the modified xml schema file and pedia text that talchas has then add 4 new lines to the CvPediaPromotions.py file:

Code:
szSpecialText = CyGameTextMgr().getPromotionHelp(self.iPromotion, True)
##new line##    pediaText = gc.getPromotionInfo(self.iPromotion).getCivilopedia()
##new line##    if pediaText != "":
##new line##    szSpecialText += "\n"
##new line##    szSpecialText += pediaText
screen.addMultilineText(listName, szSpecialText, self.X_SPECIAL_PANE+5, self.Y_SPECIAL_PANE+5, self.W_SPECIAL_PANE-10, self.H_SPECIAL_PANE-10, WidgetTypes.WIDGET_GENERAL, -1, -1, CvUtil.FONT_LEFT_JUSTIFY)

And thats it! -naf

naf4ever said:
Does the pedia file for units interact with any other python files that have changed?

There is no this VS_TYPE_NO_LINK tag in 1.52 file XML/Text/Civ4TextInfos.xml but I don't know why it can not load it from it.

As a temporary workaround so you can see the bomber penalties i simply just changed the combat modifier from "Sea" to "Naval." Since really there is no sea unit which isnt also naval. I know this doesnt address the fundamental issue, but it works.

Also I suck at interface modding so if anyone can post which line i need to change to move the stat text up a few lines so it matches up, that'd be appreciated.

Houman said:
Sevo,

Is this already 1.61 compatible?

Thanks
Houman

Pretty much. There are a few known "bugs" but pretty much convenience things, not affecting functionality much. If I ever get a grip on Sevomod I'll update this one and clean it up a bit, but it works pretty well as is...so I don't get bothered by it and I don't upgrade it!

Sevo I am wondering if you could fix an odd little behavior I have noticed. When select any top level catagory (tech, units, buildings) you get a big blank on the right side of the screen. Now I realize this might be on purpose seeing how the user hasen't yet selected anything but I personaly find it kind of anoying. Seems to me that what ever item is highlighted (and the first item is always highlighted) should be displayed.

Sevo said:
Pretty much. There are a few known "bugs" but pretty much convenience things, not affecting functionality much. If I ever get a grip on Sevomod I'll update this one and clean it up a bit, but it works pretty well as is...so I don't get bothered by it and I don't upgrade it!

Sevo, is there a list or something of these known bugs? I could try to fix them by myself. :) Thanks

Houman

Houman said:
Sevo, is there a list or something of these known bugs? I could try to fix them by myself. :) Thanks

Houman
If you'd do so, would you please upload the updated files?

Caesium said:
If you'd do so, would you please upload the updated files?

Pretty much what's documented in the forum here. Displaying a first page would be easy Impaler--I left it blank on purpose since the user hadn't selected anything, like you implied.

The main glitches have to do with the highlights. Because of the way the pedia is setup easy of the pedia files needs to be corrected to properly display the selected entry after a "jump".

There are some display issues with scrolling text that I've fixed in some files, but that was something Firaxis did. For some reason they put a scroll box that INCLUDED the title bar and made the first line blank--for example, in the wonder building property display. It looks fine, but if it starts to scroll the text scrolls over the window title instead of stopping at the top of the box. To fix it I had to decrease the window size, but then the first line IN the box is blank, so it has to be removed. I couldn't find the place the text field was being parsed together (in the C++ I think), so I just cut it off. It worked nicely.

Sevo,

Many thanks for your 'pedia - I've been using an older version of your mod. Have now updated Civ4 to 1.61.

Question:
Do I have to uninstall the older 'pedia, or could I just install v1.93 over your older mod? I guess the latter, yes?

Sincerely,
Charl

WineCape said:
Sevo,

Many thanks for your 'pedia - I've been using an older version of your mod. Have now updated Civ4 to 1.61.

Question:
Do I have to uninstall the older 'pedia, or could I just install v1.93 over your older mod? I guess the latter, yes?

Sincerely,
Charl

Indeed. Just overwrite the old stuff.

Hey, since Vovan's thread is dead, and this seems to be the most popular application of his Unit Upgrade mod, I am just announcing here that I'm picking up where he left off. I'm working on an application of a simple form of Sugiyama's graph drawing algorithm. Bottom line, it'll look a lot prettier and the arrows won't cross each other near as much. It should make the Unit Upgrade page a good bit more useful for mods that add a lot of units or have weird upgrade paths (like scout and archer both upgrading to a Ranger in Fall From Heaven). I should have something working in the next few days.

David

Tubadave said:
Hey, since Vovan's thread is dead, and this seems to be the most popular application of his Unit Upgrade mod, I am just announcing here that I'm picking up where he left off. I'm working on an application of a simple form of Sugiyama's graph drawing algorithm. Bottom line, it'll look a lot prettier and the arrows won't cross each other near as much. It should make the Unit Upgrade page a good bit more useful for mods that add a lot of units or have weird upgrade paths (like scout and archer both upgrading to a Ranger in Fall From Heaven). I should have something working in the next few days.

David
That sounds really cool.
Will you also make an addition to Sevo's Mod or only modify Vovans Mod?

Tubadave said:

David

That would be awesome. Vovan did a great job on the original but as you point out has stopped updating. Any progress you make I'd appreciate and would gladly incorporate both into this modcomp and into Sevomod.

Vovan had once upon a time planned to do a promotion chart as well...I had considered following up when he stopped, but Sevomod has pretty much eaten away my "working time". Just a thought...hint hint...:D

Hey, It's not really all that much work to integrate into the mod, so I'll repost it in it's basic form as a new thread, then make the needed changes and attach a zip somewhere for Sevo to integrate into his mods. Sevo should just need to make a few changes in CvPediaMain.py, replace UnitUpgradesGraph.py, and delete the lib folder... so maybe he can squeeze that in between Sevomod work. :) Either way, I'll probably make the changes myself and upload the new CvPediaMain.py based on your current version in this mod, and you can just use it, probably in both mods.

As far as promotions go, at first glance, it looks like I can find all the information I need to build the graph, and I'll have the code to optimize and display the graph already, so it shouldn't be difficult at all. I'll work on it after I get units done and displaying how I want them.

Back to work... I gotta beat Sevo to Sevomod 3.0 :)

Screenshots! Immediately noticeable is the new angled lines. I like it a lot better than the old bending lines, but give me some feedback on whether you like it or not.

The top graph actually found an optimal layout. The ships though, have one line crossed. Basically, any time you'd have to move more than one thing at a time to get to a better state, this algorithm will only find the solution if it gets lucky and has the nodes presented to it in just the right order. But judging from the first graph, it seems pretty robust.

In the bottom graph, you can see that this algorithm handles the layout of a unit that upgrades to both a unit and the unit that unit upgrades to. The old algorithm would have just drawn a line straight through the horse archer (or put the horse archer down by the war chariot, depending on what order it got the nodes in).

I'm just about finished with the coding, just a bit of cleanup to do. I should have a package up by the end of the night.

Tubadave said:
Screenshots! Immediately noticeable is the new angled lines. I like it a lot better than the old bending lines, but give me some feedback on whether you like it or not...I'm just about finished with the coding, just a bit of cleanup to do. I should have a package up by the end of the night.

Looks fantastic. I really like the lines--much cleaner. This is a no-brainer for Sevomod the 'pedia in general.

Well, promotions were pretty easy to implement after I had the base class finished. I just had to inherit a class from the Unit graph and rewrite the 4 functions that specifically reference unit data... about 20 lines of code in all.

However, the different structure of the promotion graph pointed out a few weaknesses in my other algorithms, so I had to take them back to the drawing board to fix them up a bit.

Either way, here's the screenshot:

I'm going to integrate the mod into the sevopedia (basically done), sevomod, and fall from heaven to make sure it is as flexible as I want it to be, then I'll have a release ready.

Top Bottom