[mod] TOTAL REALISM 2.0

Los Tirano said:
The 'elite' slave attacks were surprising but they do make it interesting. If those slave crusaders had seized the holy city what an epic tale it would have been. An inspiration for all slaves and further revolts. How about we keep it as it is. Because im remembering a little history now. During the period of the crusades the assassins attacked both the crusaders and the domains of other muslims. There was also many civil wars during this time. So if you were playing as Arabia, you founded Islam and then groups of mujahideen rebelled against your rule we may be coming close to real history here...

Yeah, I was really enjoying this too. Mind you, I almost never take slavery because I can rarely hold out. I'll often institute a short-term slavery to boost production in a desperate time, but will emancipate thereafter.

I'm thinking, by the way, that some changes to slavery might make the civic for emancipation irrelevant, allowing us to consider an alternative. The penalties for slave-holding civs are already strong, and having slaves revolt and join a foreign non-slave-holding civ might be worth considering, and then we can re-use that emancipation civic slot for something else. (Can't remember what it's called and I'm at work, so I can't look it up.)

Cheers,
Israfil.

Okay, all I have installed is Civ4 and this Realism 2.0 mod. I keep hearing about different mods like the Religion mod and so on! What the hell are you guys talking about? Is there mods inside the Realism mod I dont know about? What is exactly bugged with this Realism mod? I dont care if another mod out side this mod is bugged! Its just confusing trying to understand what exactly is bugged with this mod if you are talking about other mods!

Ty

Please someone help poor little old me understand?

Nightravn said:
@zhardan - There is no smaller map though you can use a random map. Part of the Slowness is the amount of Barbs we have at the Very beginning so the slowness to increase per-say as time goes one. As Civ remove those Barb and replace them with their own units the time between turns stays the same for the most part though if the very latest Era it will probably slow down some more. There are some performance issue that we are trying to remedy and I don't know just how much faster it will be with those but we are working toward that for the future.

Ok, thanks. I will wait patiently... or change the computer :p

@Civtroy - In the Total Realism Mod are some other Mod Components that we have included usually with some type of renovations to them. That is why you see us discussing the Religion Mod and such. Anything we discuss here IS IN the Total Realism mod either in it's entirety or some modified version of it. Sometimes we have to discuss the problems or issues with the original maker of that particular Mod Component but other times we can fix the issue as it deals with the changes that we made to that particular Mod component.

Nightravn said:
@Civtroy - In the Total Realism Mod are some other Mod Components that we have included usually with some type of renovations to them. That is why you see us discussing the Religion Mod and such. Anything we discuss here IS IN the Total Realism mod either in it's entirety or some modified version of it. Sometimes we have to discuss the problems or issues with the original maker of that particular Mod Component but other times we can fix the issue as it deals with the changes that we made to that particular Mod component.

Ty very much! I guess I should just sit back and wait then until you guys patch and fix the bugs then? No point in playing a game that is bugged. I hate getting somewhere just to find out I cant go on because a bug is handicapping me. :(

@nightravn

are you currently working on another map for the realism mod:confused:

say a european one, hint hint:D just kidding

it is hard trying to make a balance map with new resources

@houman

i think the wonder movies can be dowloaded from the homepage of civfanatics, just look back a couple of pages, at the homepage it gives you a link to ign or something and the wonder movies for great wall and the temple can be downloaded from there...

wow 10 pages in like 2 or so days..

Civtroy said:
Ty very much! I guess I should just sit back and wait then until you guys patch and fix the bugs then? No point in playing a game that is bugged. I hate getting somewhere just to find out I cant go on because a bug is handicapping me. :(

heh..all mods is bugged some much more then other..like other computer program...bugs which are we talking about is for some pepoles minor issues, for some peoples is unacceptable....you must try play this
for explain: some peoples said that mers are overpovered at start..yes, we are working on tune them down..but if you don't want use them (as me), you don't see this bug. Religion: in this mod is ste, then judaism (as historical local religion) cannot spread over border..but in game bug which alowed this - so game is playable, but not as we mentioned...
as i said: you must try and then make decision: play already, or wait for patch (but we cannot promise, then this patch solve everything. mod is so complex and it is imposible to found all problems in testing game)

People need to be patient with this stuff. These guys are recoding and working with code that others have already done, so yes there are bugs, and it is difficult to debug others code. The slavery civic i think may be a little to powerful.... in my first game, playing as china on the realism world map. I basically just built 4 units per city, think i had 3 cities when i converted to slavery, and let the rebellions come... promoted my units.. almost never lost a unit to the rebellions and soon had a powerfull army that quickly took surrounding cities... mainly the mongols...and barbs to the north.... which killed my economy... but the mercs restored it (merc out warriors for 45 gold and 11 per turn i think)... now i have just learned currency... so i am all set One thing however it that theocracy is not giving promotion bonuses for some reason. BTW if u are experiencing long turns, not sure exactly what mods are in SDK (think relig.) just replace the sdk dll with the orginal, and u save about half the turn time.

A few things I noticed playing my first game. Someone else might have reported some of these. Too many posts to read. I have not made any changes to the files myself. I am just going to list em. This is my first game with the current version of this mod, only got as far as the medieval age, just before gunpowder and galleons.

First. Average sized map with standard continents. No horses... anywhere. Played until middle ages and no horses with anyone. Discovered the next continent... no one has horses. Go into the World editor... and there aren't any horses anywhere on the map. Lots of Elephants, no horses.

Second. I founded Judaism. It starts to spread in my cities. And then to others cities outside my borders. Then other religions start to spread into my cities and not just the holy one. I guess that part of the mod isn't working yet? I have not yet tried sending out any missionaries beyond my own cities or with anything other than judaism within my own borders.

Third. When I get large military stacks the graphics glitch. It keeps the UI of whatever I was last looking at before it switched to it. IE: If I was using a city all the city UI is still there but hitting the buttons does nothing. If using a builder then it shows all the builder options in the UI but they don't do anything. Also all the custom buttons for organizing stack etc vanish, as well as only showing one unit in the unit list instead of the full stack, not necessarily the unit that is seleceted. First noticed this with a stack of 4 Elephants,4 Samurai, 3 or 4 catapults, some archers and pikemen with one general. Move some of them out and it fixes itself. So I keep my armies limited in size but this can reduce military effectiveness. Also units in stack don't have to be mine. If someone else moves units into the stack it also does the wrong UI.

Fourth. There was something else but now I can't remember. :p

Final. Random crash to desktop. Can't see a reason yet but will post later if I find a standard or pattern.

Hope it isn't something like me downloading the wrong file. Two were listed at the sourceforge site I picked up the one with the most downloads on it.

Total-Realism-Setup2.0.exe
was
Total-Realism-Setup2.0a.exe the correct one?

EDIT: Downloaded the other file just to be safe and tried it out. Horses on a new map this time. Haven't checked the religion. But the large stack of units still glitches the UI.

About problems with french version (missing punctuation, translation) i work to fix it. i want to know if someone else works on french version.

Cytadc said:
First. Average sized map with standard continents. No horses... anywhere. Played until middle ages and no horses with anyone. Discovered the next continent... no one has horses. Go into the World editor... and there aren't any horses anywhere on the map. Lots of Elephants, no horses.

We haven't sanity-checked the resource distribution on the various map generators. So far I've had decent luck, but it's luck of the draw.

Second. I founded Judaism. ...

Posted to the tracker already.

Third. When I get large military stacks the graphics glitch.

Posted to the tracker - minor known bug. Workaround: Just select a unit and hover over its icon at the bottom, and the view will release.

Fourth. There was something else but now I can't remember. :p

Posted to the tracker as a memory issue.... :lol:

Final. Random crash to desktop. Can't see a reason yet but will post later if I find a standard or pattern.

I've had a few of these. Clearing the cache and starting a new game has usually stopped any such problems, but keep an eye on whether you find a pattern.

Two were listed at the sourceforge site I picked up the one with the most downloads on it.

Total-Realism-Setup2.0a.exe is the correct one. It has an installer bugfix. Otherwise the files are the same, however, so if the first one worked, you should be fine.

We will be releasing a bug-fix patch release as soon as the developers recover and get a chance to play past the ancient era without changing a file. :mischief:

Cheers,
Israfil.

israfil said:
We will be releasing a bug-fix patch release as soon as the developers recover and get a chance to play past the ancient era without changing a file. :mischief:

Cheers,
Israfil.

Is such a thing Possible? :hmm:

I THINK I might have figured out the Judaism "bug".

Unfortunately I don't have the save, but here is the thing I noticed:

I founded Judaism, as Germany, and the Holy city was Hamburg (My Second City, in keeping with the core founding paramaters) There was a brief problem with Judaism spreading to Rome (Antium) before I converted and became "Defender of the Faith". So I went into the WB and removed Judaism from Rome before they could convert, and then continued playing.

So its about... Dangit, I forgot there aren't years in this... and suddenly I notice that BOTH Russia and Greece are now Jewish. And I think wtf mate?

Then I notice something else, Hamburg is no longer the Jewish Holy City.

The Holy City is gone. Vamis Vamadoes, Vanished. (Sorry for all the spelling errors)

I think that might be the problem, the script focuses on a civ having Judaism's Holy City to be the "Defender of the Faith" and only let it spread in their borders. For some reason, my city is losing its holy city status, and the Jewish people are now feeling homeless, thinking I'm not their defender, so they try to wander to find someone who is a bit more considerate to them.

ALSO:
I had an idea, since there are now just eras, its nice for continuity sake, but I had a thought as I liked being able to gloat about getting to the Modern age in 1758 :D .

Perhaps you could display:
Ancient Era, Circa 2850 B.C.

Instead of just:
Ancient Era

Where what the Circa.... is is decided based on tech level (either estimated or evaluated from the tech leader, I would prefer the second, but I'm not sure if its possible, or easy, I'm sure its 'possible' but there is a big difference between 'possible' and 'feasible') This could give it a cool feeling, and for the modern age you could spend a few turns in a single year, and the ancient ages could perhaps be ;

Circa, 5th Century BC

instead of either straight years or straight eras.

When you install this mod by deleting the cache and etc. does that destroy other mods you have installed?

The cache is only a temporary storage place of mods to speed up the mod loading phase, the Mods themselves are stored in a different place that is not even in the same file structure as the cache.

The standard File Structures should be:

Mods Folder:
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods

Cache Folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\Ascaeriyien Vishaing\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Cache

About problems with french version (missing punctuation, translation) i work to fix it. i want to know if someone else works on french version.
I'm working on it too. (English to French)
:)

Jeff1787 said:
The game loads fine. Map looks great.....but there is no interface showing. I have installed the game several times, erased the cache, and still no interface shows.....:confused:

I am having the same issue. In addition to no interface, the options menu at the main screen will not open when I've loaded the mod. If I switch back to vanilla or to any other mod, no problems.

I have a a Thinkpad x41, not sure if this could be video card related. Its running a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 GM with 128meg on the card so I doubt that is the issue. I got 1.5 gig of RAM, plenty of space. Any thoughts?

Thanks
A to da G

Top Bottom