Civ IV Live Streaming

Or you could just record and then upload the recordings to stream later, right? Then that's your on demand problem solved, and you can start charging 5 cents per view and stuff like that... ;)

Not live isn't nearly as interesting and there's no viewer interaction. And livestream is basically a run and forget program, so you're not putting unnecessary demands upon the broadcaster, thereby encouraging its usage.

Not live isn't nearly as interesting and there's no viewer interaction. And livestream is basically a run and forget program, so you're not putting unnecessary demands upon the broadcaster, thereby encouraging its usage.

But it isn't actually live. Its usually 2 or 3 minutes behind what's actually happening and once got up to over a half hour delay.

Plus, when it's streaming live, there are maybe 20 viewers max. When he records them, each individual video can have about 5000 views. I personally prefer the recorded versions as I can watch them on my own time, and review them later.

Plus, when it's streaming live, there are maybe 20 viewers max. When he records them, each individual video can have about 5000 views. I personally prefer the recorded versions as I can watch them on my own time, and review them later.

I counted over 50 viewers once.

Is there a way to have unlimited data storage? Subscription or whatever?
In that case, TMIT could open a charity account and the good viewers could donate to help him afford the cost. After all, he is doing a lot of work, unpaid, and it'd be a shame to have him do even more while he could be playing more games for the forums!

Livestream .
1. Better graphics, can actually read the text
2. Can heckle TMIT while he is playing via livestream text window, or even ask sensible(ish) questions about why he made a specific move/build etc.
3. Need to be out of bed when TMIT starts playing civ, not easy for us living outside of US time zone.

UTube.
1. Can watch whenever we want, such as during the day.
2. Can't read text, have no idea what turn player is on when comparing his game progress with my own.
3. Can't heckle - OUCH :D

Livestream .
1. Better graphics, can actually read the text
2. Can heckle TMIT while he is playing via livestream text window, or even ask sensible(ish) questions about why he made a specific move/build etc.
3. Need to be out of bed when TMIT starts playing civ, not easy for us living outside of US time zone.

UTube.
1. Can watch whenever we want, such as during the day.
2. Can't read text, have no idea what turn player is on when comparing his game progress with my own.
3. Can't heckle - OUCH :D

Being able to chat while he's playing is not a big deal for me; for others, I'm sure it is, but not for me. His own comments while he plays is already very explanatory. As for being able to read the text, I find that if I switch to HD mode in his YouTube videos, that I am actually able to read the text. The video quality is better than if you just watched the video without manually changing the video resolution.

The youtube videos are amazing, keep them comming! I really appreciate all the work you put into this. Streamings and ingame videos/replays are just what a lot of people is craving for :D

I can imagine the youtube series being hard to keep up though. It would probobly take about 6 or more hours for play and recording and audio compression and uploading. It's probobly a chore, and livestreaming is immediate...

There's that other guy who put up some youtube videos. Considering how few youtube videos have been posted compared to hours streamed, before tmit hit the free storage limit, I would say there's no comparison for how easy it is to use. Of course, you don't have to wait for someone else to post youtube videos. Any of us could do it ourselves.
If this forum weren't so archaic, there would have been a youtube/streaming section a long time ago. Other forums also support embedded youtube/streaming code in forum posts.

Youtube is just as good as live arguments are on the wrong side of progress... Major and minor sporting events are routinely broadcast live these days, but while viewers may want to watch tonight's game, few are interested in watching in game #24 out of 50.

As someone mentioned before, it would be easier to keep up with livestreams if TMIT broadcasted when he would be doing them via Twitter.

What would be the best way to get a notification message when you go live?

I thought about suscribing to this topic / email notifications, but I don't want to get an email each time someone comments. It might be a good idea to create a mailing list. (Not everybody uses twitter.)

You could also use the same mailing list to let us know when you post new videos on youtube. a good way to skyrocket your traffic / views when you post new videos.

I dunno, should I set up a mailing list then?

BTW, I am trying to polish off the HoF challenger series, then I'll be streaming again. BUFFY + procaster = not good.

anyone decent website that was updated in 2009 will allow you to embed livestream. I just found out facebook has a livestream widget. I think I should be able to set something up to automatically tweet when he's online if need be.

I realize that not everyone uses Twitter (even I don't use it), but it's far more flexible than a mailing list. Twitter also publishers all posts as a feed, so you can subscribe to it via your web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc. all support it) and then it will appear as a "Live Bookmark" in your browser, meaning it automatically updates whenever there are new messages.

In addition, you could also set it up so that when there's a new message, it emails you. Way better than a mailing list, for those of us who don't want to keep receiving emails.

So my laptop is in for repairs, and I'm back at college, so no Civ for me for a week or more. :( Any chance of seeing something new soon?

I second that... I am done watching all the videos, time for something new.

Top Bottom