The power of early food trades

Tabarnak

Cut your lousy hairs!
Here is an example of how powerful are the food trades for newbie cities(emperor, standard, pangea) :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I went Tradition and got lucky with 2 early DoF so i rush bought a 2nd city and immediately sent a 2nd caravan of fresh food...

8 turns later...

Spoiler :
Nobamba is working the hill

:cool:

These food caravans are granaries on steroids :p

how is the food determined? if you make a domestic route and you can't make a international? it takes up a trade route?

how is the food determined? if you make a domestic route and you can't make a international? it takes up a trade route?

I guess the same combination can't be repeated, but you can form a triangle with 3 cities. 6 with four cities, and 10 with five cities.:rolleyes:

Can't you also send food from multiple cities to one other city then do the same with production once you have workshops up.

I wonder how quickly you can get 10 pop city with key buildings in the mid game, with 5 cities it will get 15 fpt

I was playing a Standard Earth Map on Emperor last night where I started in India and was shipping food to my colonies in Australia for 14fpt. It was insane.

Yeah I have a feeling that this will need a balancing patch.
The early food from two inner empire sea routes is insane .. like a newly settled city starts with 2 hanging gardens ;>

it is sensible to start with 1 food, then add 1f more each era, plus one or two late techs to boost another 1 or 2f

Right now it starts with 3. 3 food means 4.5 hammers, because each 2 food can support a pop working on mined hill, not to mention early growth is easier.

Can any one confirm if a newbie city without granary can send food to capital with granary?

Here is an example of how powerful are the food trades for newbie cities(emperor, standard, pangea) :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I went Tradition and got lucky with 2 early DoF so i rush bought a 2nd city and immediately sent a 2nd caravan of fresh food...

8 turns later...

Spoiler :
Nobamba is working the hill

:cool:

These food caravans are granaries on steroids :p

I am curious how you have the scores displayed in the upper left? Is that a mod?

Thx
jonpfl

Food trains might seem OP but you need to look at them by also taking into consideration potential gold and production yields. Intl. trade routes with other civs also yield tech.

It's not a question of "How much food I'm getting" but also "how much gold or production am I loosing". In most cases, especially in isolation, food trains might be the perfect way to keep your cities on same tech level with opponents. In other cases (jungle starts, ugh) maybe the extra production might help more. Gold is always welcome.

But agreed, for an early warmonger or wondermonger, a city fed with a caravan can easily put all workers to mines and get super-fast production.

About the sea routes, yields are greater, but ships are also plundered more easily, so there's more risk involved. It's not uncommon to have all your intl. shipping routes plundered on the first turn of the DOW, cutting your GPT by sometimes as much as 300 GPT.

I guess the same combination can't be repeated, but you can form a triangle with 3 cities. 6 with four cities, and 10 with five cities.:rolleyes:

It is 6 possible routes for 3 cities. Consider 3 cities A, B & C. Possible routes are AB, AC, BA, BC, CA, CB.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4 Beta

You should have done it with cargo ships. They give, it seems, double the food and hammers of caravans!

It is 6 possible routes for 3 cities. Consider 3 cities A, B & C. Possible routes are AB, AC, BA, BC, CA, CB.

Good to know it can go back and forth

You should have done it with cargo ships. They give, it seems, double the food and hammers of caravans!

They also have double the chance of getting pillaged by barbarians. :p

Top Bottom