NES Notice Board & FAQ Thread 2

thomas.berubeg

Wandering the World
Welcome to all visiting the Never Ending Story Forum

NESing may seem intimidating, with lots of rules and established traditions, but once you get started, it's as easy as a game of...oh, I don't know, Civilization? This thread is here to help introduce NESing to all newcomers, because we're pretty convinced that it's the best game out there.

First: What is a NES? "A NES is where players take control of countries, or tribes, or factions of some sort in a fictional or partly fictional setting, while another person, the mod, runs the NES. Players do diplomacy on a forum thread and send in orders in time for a deadline set by the mod, who then writes an update, describing recent events. Then the players do more diplomacy and send another set of orders and the NES continues like that. - Spryllino"

"Reading a NES before participating is a good way to get the hang of how NESes work." It should also contain the advice, "NESes welcome new players when they are just starting or when they are already well in progress. Post in any thread to join a NES."
No question is too easy, so ask away!

---

Helpful Threads

Show me your Orders - In this thread, NESers have revealed their orders for all to see. Very useful in gauging how much effort some people put into NESing, and what you will be up against!

New AIM/MSN Contact Thread - A list of all NESer's contact addresses

Currently, NES chat can be found here: irc.synirc.net, and the channel name is still #nes.
These are the current instructions for how to get onto #nes:

If you download a program like Chatzilla, mIRC, or IceChat, it will connect you to the channel automagically.
---

Other Resources

The NES Wiki - Yes, we have our very own Wiki, created thanks to the initiative of Symphony D. There's also a development thread, here.

Wikipedia - Need to learn about 13th century Anatolia in less than 5 minutes? This is your handy information source for almost anything.

The Alternate History Thread - What if Alexander the Great had never lived? What if Louis XV had never made that fatal crossdressing decision? Many NESes are based upon alternate histories, making changes from Our Timeline, or OTL, and some players create timelines that later grow into full fledged NESes. It's usually a good idea to do some research before jumping in, but historical "what if" questions are always welcome.

The Ultimate Map Thread - This thread is for completed maps, this thread is also for all other cartographic discussion. Requests, tests, examples, ideas, and discussion is appropriate here. I will maintain this thread by editing the few opening posts to contain all completed material to date.

New NESes, Ideas and Development Thread - Each new NES take time to evolve and come to fruition. This thread is where that growth takes place.

Generic Vacation Thread - Going off on your hols? Let everyone know quickly and easily with this thread.

Next Orders Due... - A quick glance will tell you when Orders are due for any NES you are playing in.

Official Update and story Help thread - If you need any help writing

Misc Threads

NES Flag Thread

So yes, any questions?
:)

Copied and pasted from the Previous Thread. In fond Memory of Abaddon.

I would like to suggest some amendments to this thread, if people don't mind, because I feel that the content of this thread is basically useless to any would-be NESer. I remember entering this forum myself for the first time - this thread was there in a previous incarnation then - and it got me precisely nowhere, not least because practically none of these links are of any use at all to a new NESer.

This post here, of course, should be deleted once the discussion has been had, I hope, so that the thread should not be cluttered with discussion of the thread, but nevertheless I feel that it is useful to make the following comments.

1. The post should include a brief definition of NESing. The average CFCer coming into this forum does not have a clue about this and that is what they need to know immediately on entering the forum. Something along the lines of this, I feel, would be useful:

"A NES is where players take control of countries, or tribes, or factions of some sort in a fictional or partly fictional setting, while another person, the mod, runs the NES. Players do diplomacy on a forum thread and send in orders in time for a deadline set by the mod, who then writes an update, describing recent events. Then the players do more diplomacy and send another set of orders and the NES continues like that."

2. The post should contain the advice, "Reading a NES before participating is a good way to get the hang of how NESes work." It should also contain the advice, "NESes welcome new players when they are just starting or when they are already well in progress. Post in any thread to join a NES." or something like that.

3. The post should not include the "NESing Guide". It's absolutely pointless, unreadable, and potentially out of date. Any new NESer is better off reading a NES. Unless someone actually positively thinks it helps people, can we get rid of it from the list?

4. "Show me your Orders" and the NES chat are extremely useful, so they should be the top links.

5. While We Wait is not useful to a new NESer, so it should be further down. The same goes for the AIM and MSN list, which no-one probably uses because many of the newer NESers who use AIM (EQites) and MSN (FFHers) are not actually on the list.

6. The NES Wiki should be removed. It isn't in use.

7. The Vacation thread should be removed because if someone's been around long enough for it to be worth them posting there, they'll probably have found it just looking through the forum by then.

8. The Open Spots in NESing thread should be removed because it doesn't contain most of the NESes in the forum and gives any newcomer the misleading notion upon looking at it that no-one has had an open spot in their NES for several weeks.

9. Next Orders Due... should be removed for precisely the same reason.

10. The Faces of NESing: Do people really want every newcomer to look at the slightly embarassing photos there before participating? This should be removed.

11. The NES Flag thread should be moved to be a Misc thread in the bottom section.

12. The "So yes, any questions?" should be accompanied by something to say that questions are welcome right here in this very thread.

I think that if these suggestions were actually done, or something fairly similar, this thread would actually become useful. :) What does the rest of NESing think about this?

2. The post should contain the advice, "Reading a NES before participating is a good way to get the hang of how NESes work." It should also contain the advice, "NESes welcome new players when they are just starting or when they are already well in progress. Post in any thread to join a NES." or something like that.

3. The post should not include the "NESing Guide". It's absolutely pointless, unreadable, and potentially out of date. Any new NESer is better off reading a NES. Unless someone actually positively thinks it helps people, can we get rid of it from the list?

4. "Show me your Orders" and the NES chat are extremely useful, so they should be the top links.

when i try to introduce someone to nesing, instead of trying to give them superfluous instructions, i show them sample orders such as this or this, and stories such as this or this. while obviously orders and stories vary based on setting, showing instead of telling by compiling exemplary examples could work very well as a nesing "guide."

To join #NES chat:

Go here: http://cbe005.chat.mibbit.com/

bombshoo said:
Click the option that says "server" next to the drop down menu and type "Razorvine.selfip.net" (without the quotation marks) in the box that appears. In the box that says "channel" type "#NES" (also without quotation marks).

From Thlayli:

Anyhow these are the current instructions for how to get onto #nes:

1. Go to this link.

2. Click on the button that says 'Server' and type in razorvine.selfip.net

3. Type in your nick and #nes in the channel field.

4. Profit.

If you download a program like Chatzilla, mIRC, or IceChat, it will connect you to the channel automagically.

Sorry if this is sorta necroing the thread, but it says I'm not allowed to connect to the chat, for some not understandable reason it gives me.

It is hard to necro a stickied thread. ;)

I have a suggestion, one especially useful because I would want to use it. :p

Perhaps we could make a list of NESes accepting new players and those which are not. That way all anyone would have to do is look at one thread, instead of six. :)

Almost all running NESes are accepting new players almost all of the time.

Asked on the official mibbit help channel (I'm the guest profile):

Hey, I've been getting an error message when trying to connect to a certain chat, and this is what pops up: razorvine.selfip.net: Closing link: (unknown@78.129.202.38) [No more connections allowed from your host via this connect class (local)]
22:27 Guest4386-Anyone know how to fix it?
22:30 Guest4386-...
22:30 Kitsune -checking
22:32 *** Zuwer joined #help
22:32 Kitsune- seems they have not maintained their webirc entries. it is something their staff will have to correct
22:32 Guest4386-Ah, okay.
22:32 Kitsune-all mibbit users are getting the same IP
22:33 Guest4386-Well, that shouldnt happen.
22:33 Guest4386-Anyways, thanks for the answer

So, apparently it's nothing I can fix.

The server's been funky in lots of ways lately. Best bet is to PM Till here on CFC, he runs the place.

Hi, I was just wondering if it would be possible for my account to be activated early so that I could pm and participate in the NES games.

No, you need to wait the five days. You might be a more intelligent spambot. ;)

Top Bottom