NESLife VI

Organism: Apicelo
Ancestor: Muscelo
Selective Pressure: Lack of easily edible food sources
Mutation: With time Muscelos have nearly disappeared due to the extinction of the original and easily edible Filters and Sunfeeders, but some of them have developed a muscular structure on one end, akin to some kind of primitive, soft beak that allows it to break through Sunshields.

Eh, he only feeds on your non crystalin parts so I can munch on the rest.

So, note about biochemistry here - you're trying to eat sand. Silica is straight up silicon dioxide, which is a pretty damn stable bond - not a whole lot of free energy there to sustain cellular processes.

Just thought you might care.

The Wera Gods laughed.

ganism: Digesto
Ancestor: Musculo
Selective Pressure: Lack of food sources
Mutation: Musculo have had a long but small existence, predating only in the richest environments. But the energy needs of such a powerful creature were huge, and so to answer that needs a more efficient system developed, giving much more energy from every gram of food, allowing the Digesto to go to much longer lengths to feed.

Seems to be a popular format, Iggy :)

Spoiler :
Organism: Thick Feaster
Description: An armoured motile, predatory filament of cells.
Niche: Armoured, crawling predator of immobile prey.

Organism: Spinator
Ancestor: Thick Feaster
Selective Pressure: hunting success and protection while hunting
Mutation: rotatable, mutli-purpose spines, occurring in symmetrical pairs on each body segment. The spines are mainly used to aid movement along the seafloor, but also contain rudimentary sensory cells that allow the Spinator to 'taste' the seafloor as it goes. Some species may develop their spines to aid in grabbing and subduing moving prey, while others may develop them for defence instead.

OOC: hope this is not trying to add too much at once ^^

ALSO: Do we have tides on this world? I'm guessing we are tidally locked to the parent gas giant, and the sun at 3AU probably won't cause much tidal action. I can imagine a complex cycle of tides from the effect of other moons passing, but probably not much?

ALSO #2: Do we have deep ocean zones that require special adaptations to exploit?

Not adding too much Daft. :)

Lambda is not tidally locked around Thor, so we have some pretty potent tides. Our sun also causes some tidal effects, but they are tiny by comparison. And yes, we do have deep ocean habitats that would require specialization to colonize.

The Indigestible Sunfeeder has arrays of sharp, silicate crystals within itself, rendering it quite impossible to eat by the current battery of predators in its environment.

Just to clarify since you said current battery of predators that means that my newly evolved species can eat them right?

It means that you'd have to be specialized to destroy shards of glass. Some effective ways to do that would either be to be a very delicate, tiny predator who eats around them, or to have some means of crushing them down to harmlessness before eating them.

Basically, eating sharpened shards of glass is pretty unpleasant. ;)

Basically, eating sharpened shards of glass is pretty unpleasant. ;)

Well, we have to remember that this generation of predators doesn't even have mouths yet, and they're still barfing up juices onto their prey to eat. But barfing stomach juice onto sharpened shards of glass doesn't sound particularly pleasant either. :/

Hmm, in that case I might change my species to have a symbiotic relationship with the Indigestible Sunfeeders and have it consume dead or diseased leaves, sort of like pruning it. Would that work?

I'm trying to start giving them proto-jaws :/

By the way Herobrine, this is kind of sticking several mutations into one, and as Terrance noted, knocking over Spires isn't really an effective strategy. First, Spires are much too big for an organism the Spinelord's size to knock over, and second, since you swim you can already access every bit of them without having to knock them over and share them with your crawling, non-swimming relatives. ;)

Also, developing a whole spine and powerful jaws all at once is a bit too much- I'd recommend doing one or the other. That said, I think a reasonable mutation could be the development of a primitive spine, which would work wonders for the Spinelord's swimming ability, and seems to be the closest to the kind of organism you're proposing. Shall we go with that?

Sure. Go with the spine. The prospect of what i had proposed and the feasting of the towers seemed a bit OP anyway ;).

Well, we have to remember that this generation of predators doesn't even have mouths yet, and they're still barfing up juices onto their prey to eat. But barfing stomach juice onto sharpened shards of glass doesn't sound particularly pleasant either. :/
Generally, a predator trying to feed on an Indigestible Sunfeeder would end up lacerating themselves as they tried to absorb the digested material. So indeed, not terribly pleasant.

Hmm, in that case I might change my species to have a symbiotic relationship with the Indigestible Sunfeeders and have it consume dead or diseased leaves, sort of like pruning it. Would that work?
Well, leaves haven't been developed yet. Modern 'plants' are basically clumps of photosynthetic cells, so that role doesn't really fit.

What you need is a sucker and a sharp edge. Then you can do that mission impossible glass removal thing.
Or you could have a mouth like a strainer that extrudes a safe distance away from the body's soft tissues, so you could suck up digested proteins while catching the shards of glass in the strainer, keeping your system protected. There are many solutions! :D

Hey Iggy, about how much of Lambda's surface is covered in ammonia oceans? And of that, what is the general temperature and depth of oceans where most of this life is developing?

PS. Would it be possible to get measurements of how large certain organisms can grow to be. I know that it would be relatively small at this stage in evolution (Except for organisms like the Spires, of course).

Well now it's pretty much a challenge to find my own way to nom on Inedible Sundfeeders.

What about Hydrofluoric Acid or Sodium Hydroxide? It should be able to dissolve glass, but I don't know if you'll allow my feasters to be able to use it as they are also capable of dissolving many other things, like skin.

Well now it's pretty much a challenge to find my own way to nom on Inedible Sundfeeders.

What about Hydrofluoric Acid or Sodium Hydroxide? It should be able to dissolve glass, but I don't know if you'll allow my feasters to be able to use it as they are also capable of dissolving many other things, like skin.

Well, attempt an evolution that lines the acid sac inside your organism to be resistant to most acidic solutions. Search Google for a naturally occuring substance that is capable of it.

Well with Sodium Hydroxide it should be able to be kept in anything without amphoteric properties (meaning that it only dissolves in acids, not bases) but i'm not sure if there are any organic molecules that would fit that description.

Also, how exactly would acid continue to work in a environment where the surrounding chemicals are ammonia and water (For I'm assuming the oceans have some water in them other than purely ammonia) since an abundance of water would neutralize the solution almost immediately?

EDIT: Also, If you do find an organic molecule capable of containing the acid, you can reduce the size of the acidic sac by developing a thin mosquito-like 'syringe' that would be inserted into a small opening made by the acid and then used to suck out nutrients and cells.

Top Bottom