Winning a cultural victory before hotels

As Byzantium I got my fastest victory ever, and it was a culture victory. I used Mosques, Cathedrals, and Pagodas. My reformation belief was +2 tourism from buildings purchased with faith. By buying all of the buildings early, I became popular with some civs in the early renaissance before I had even met all of the civs. I did not win before hotels, but I did become influential with three civs before hotels, and hotels were not as important as normal because most of my faith came from religious buildings.

I did this too and won before hotels (prince difficulty, standard speed/map/settings). I fell way behind in science but I just kept spamming cities, cramming them in wherever I could. My faith production was out of this world so I always had enough to buy the buildings. I did have a really unusual start though. It was a pangea but there were absolutely no other civs or city-states anywhere near me so I had a ton of space to expand.

I won a cultural victory as Spain on a Europe map with 22 civs at around Turn 270 on standard speed. I had hotels for a short period of time before winning - they weren't crucial but probably helped me shave off two or three turns. Venice was culturally ahead of all of the other civs, so had I eliminated them sooner, I could have taken about 10-15 turns off of my time.

I'd paid Rome and Austria to DoW Venice, but Austria did nothing (and Rome did very little) to weaken Venice. For some reason, Venice didn't use any of their VoMs to buy city states, so I captured Venice, eliminating them from the game, and winning by culture as I was Influential or Dominant (500% with Byzantium XD) with everyone else.

This was only on Prince however (with so many civs, and it being my first proper BNW game, I decided to reduce the difficulty).

Completely difficulty based, immortal or deity won't win in nearly the speed you can on prince... And if you get a culture oriented civ like Brazil on immortal/deity, prepare to kill them or else you might not win at all.

I got my culture victory in 1942, not sure how that translates in terms of turns...but it was only like 20 turns after the UN world leader vote (which I purposefully didn't give myself a winning margin), so I think I did pretty good. I didn't get very many wonders, but was able to get the WC proposals I needed. I didn't know how to use the theme bonuses for the first part of the game, but I only had to kill 2 civs to get the works I needed.

EDIT: this was on emporer

From what I noticed, it looks like Great Musicians create "10 x tourism per turn" when using their "Concert" action. Since that is related to current tourism (and not a median of X turns), I guess a sound strategy is too wait until you experience a tourism peak (National Games, Carneval, etc.) and then bomb the hell out of the AI with some spare musicians gathered over time.

In my last Venice game I had a musician available during the +100% world game timer and I was able to score 10k tourism on the last CIV that was not yet domianted. I guess careful planning and timing will pay off a lot for winning a culture victory.

Now the question is:
Should you save most (or even all?) of your great musicians to initate an uber-tourism bomb? There aren't too many theme slots anyway...

i thought it was 10x the tourism relative to when they were "born" and it does not scale? so you have to either use the concert tour immediately or keep them around for a work of art if you don't have room.

I got my culture victory in 1942, not sure how that translates in terms of turns...but it was only like 20 turns after the UN world leader vote (which I purposefully didn't give myself a winning margin), so I think I did pretty good. I didn't get very many wonders, but was able to get the WC proposals I needed. I didn't know how to use the theme bonuses for the first part of the game, but I only had to kill 2 civs to get the works I needed.

EDIT: this was on emporer

I won a cultural victory in 1944 as the Shoshone, on emperor as well:p. Soon after the international games started I got another GM and had 6000 faith to buy some more, each having 17500+ tourism power.

When excavating artifacts I tried to time them so they would all finish the same turn to avoid a diplomacy hit. Unfortunately it didn't work :p.

Top Bottom