Venice Game

dojoboy

Tsalagi
Playing my second game as Venice (first was w/ Assyria) on Prince level. I must say, Venice is an interesting civ. I think I've been looking around at the new features too much, as I've let Songhai become a bit too large. They're now encroaching on my continent. All in all, I'm really enjoying Venice. Took me a few turns to realize I can purchase units in my puppet states. One thing I've been using my Great Merchants for is picking off rival civs' allied city-states. I did capture a couple rival cities as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 2.26.53 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 2.26.53 PM.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 1,096
Venice is very powerful. What speed are you playing?

I thought I was doing good with mine-took two of Atiilla's cities, but I am nowhere near your gold and stuff. But you are a hundred years ahead of me.

Atilla has only his capital left and it's due south!

And I'm on Prince level.

screen shot attached.

Attachments

• Venice_docbud.jpg
    Venice_docbud.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 552
they are fun to play.

I don't buy puppets anymore, I prefer trade missions with commerce fully teched. you may not get puppets but i'd rather have CS allies and gold for proxy/defensive wars

This is my current tentative game on Emperor.

Link

The forum doesn't allow uploading an image larger than 500KB and I don't want to edit it.

Venice is very powerful. What speed are you playing?

I thought I was doing good with mine-took two of Atiilla's cities, but I am nowhere near your gold and stuff. But you are a hundred years ahead of me.

Atilla has only his capital left and it's due south!

And I'm on Prince level.

screen shot attached.

I'm playing the standard speed. Next time, I'll be more aggressive early, take a city or two from neighbors.

This is my current tentative game on Emperor.

Link

The forum doesn't allow uploading an image larger than 500KB and I don't want to edit it.

Impressed with how far along you are on Emperor. King level is the highest I've won so far. MM well enough is my Achilles heel.

Venice is kind of fun to play. I had a quick game where the first WC I proposed Catholicism for world religion. Of the civs that cared only Byzantium voted nay with it's Eastern Orthodoxy. Turks weren't in the game for a galleass battle at Lepanto. (Not that they would have voted in favor of Catholicism either.)

I'm in the modern era on the Hyper Europe map playing King at Epic speed. My score is in the high 700's and is a couple of hundred above the nearest of 11 AI competitors. I used MoV's to pick up the CS's of Milan, Genoa, Monaco and Ragusa, giving me control of the northern Mediterranean. With 12 active trade routes, I use 8 sea routes to pump up my gold (usually over 400 GPT) and 4 (3 land, one naval) to flow production to beef up Venice's ability to build wonders. Both Germany and the Huns tried to war with me but by then I'd made so many defensive alliances that they surrendered and each gave me a city without my even having to field an army in response. Now it is shaping up to be a tourism/culture war in the end-game. I have to say, this is how I hoped Civ V would be when I first heard about it. Glad they finally got around to making good on the promise!

I always wanted to play OCC (One City Challenge?) with the AI, but never could as the AI was not limited. If I play Duel with the AI being venice and me on OCC, would that be similar, or is Venice far too strong? I guess the amount/existence of CS's is also important.

Sorry if this is OT.

I had a game with Venice on Prince for the craic. I thought it was going well with 300 gpt up but only two puppets until I came across monster Babylon on the other continent with more gpt and a million wonders. Now I suppose I have to attack him by buying an army in one of the local city states. Such is the life of a Venetian doge.

Well, I'm so glad Venice is "prioritized for the best ocean starts." My first Venice play. Look at all those water resources! Can't wait to beef my capital up with cargo ships! This is on Standard size Continents.

Attachments

• Photo Jul 12, 10 29 52 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 12, 10 29 52 PM.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 851
Well, I'm so glad Venice is "prioritized for the best ocean starts." My first Venice play. Look at all those water resources! Can't wait to beef my capital up with cargo ships! This is on Standard size Continents.

Best start ever, remember to defend your capital from dozens of enemy ships that's sure to come your way.

Why use a toaster to take a picture instead of Steam's picture doing thingy?

Venice is so powerful but late game it starts to be hectic.

Emperor / diplomacy victory(I had to conquer half of the world/turn city stats to my side to prevent other nations from winning the game).

Attachments

• daaa.jpg
    daaa.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 554
I decided to grab Germany since Songhai was looking to move through them. First German war, Otto gave me 4 cities for peace. Once the treaty was up, I went back for Berlin. On the turn I captured Berlin on, al-Mansur DOW'ed me. Cost me several lucrative gpt trade routes. Screenshot is centered on that front, after a few turns of war. Morocco has heavily invested in air, but they're early versions - so my infantry are eating the fighters up in defense.

The Volunteer Army tenet under Freedom was a major equalizer with the threat of Songhai at my front door.

My tourism is at 195, to Songhai's 62 and Morocco's 53. However, unless it snowballs, a culture victory is out. I've got theming bonuses in Oxford University, Hermitage, Louvre, Globe Theatre, and Broadway.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 2.18.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 2.18.03 PM.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 273
I won with Venice a cultural game and it was my first match completely in peace. I had also Petra so 18 trade routes :D

One nice thing about Venice is that you can buy religious buildings in all of your puppets. This makes getting one or two buildings as beliefs (i.e. Cathedrals et al) a real boost to both :c5faith: and :c5happy:.

Archaeology can be tricky with Venice - not being able to buy archaeologists stings when you've only one city.

^^Venice can't buy archeologists? Damn--I just started a new thread about why I can't seem to build one or buy one. Then what good are the sites for me?

Top Bottom