Turns more slow

The city-state and barb portion of the turns are taking longer for sure.

It seems slower to me too, I'm not sure if that's just because the early game is more monotonous or because my computer is having a harder time running the game or just because the games last longer, but if definitely feels that way.

Nope. Only CS and barbs. One time, I was playing a game as the Shoshone and I just took Tikal and was going for Palenque. It was turn 185 or something like that and the turn froze on the barb's turn. Dunno if that was a bug or what, but I quit the game via Task Manager. Also, I didn't know if BNW was responding cause I was on my Windows 8 (damn you Windows 8!!)

Check Quick Movement and you shall see the difference...

Now, I can understand that not everyone wants to take out the fun of the animations, so you could also reach a middle ground; that is what I did, creating a minimod that basically uses Thal's code block that speeds up unit animations to twice their normal speed.

That is all it takes to enjoy the best of both worlds: quick turns, with quick animations.

I'm playing a game on quick and the city states and non-existing barbarians take forever to process turn.

Nope. Only CS and barbs. One time, I was playing a game as the Shoshone and I just took Tikal and was going for Palenque. It was turn 185 or something like that and the turn froze on the barb's turn. Dunno if that was a bug or what, but I quit the game via Task Manager. Also, I didn't know if BNW was responding cause I was on my Windows 8 (damn you Windows 8!!)

In task manager you can see if the program is responding or not...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

It seems slower to me too, I'm not sure if that's just because the early game is more monotonous or because my computer is having a harder time running the game or just because the games last longer, but if definitely feels that way.

Slower here as well, however, I've actually noticed a reduction in hardware load. It's actually not, quite, working as taxing as G&K (not by much mind you, but a small bit).

Just gone back down to standard size maps, turning trade route animations off and less CS but still slower.

I concur, checking Quick Movement allowed me to play at comfortable speed, whereas before by mid 1500 the game was chugging.

Yep - it did get slower. but why? The obvious answer to me is that the devs decided to use more processing power to do all the AI moves. (Re-)Calculating all the possible AI moves always takes up a lot of processing power - be it a game of chess or Civ.

I'm not annoyed by the slow down and think they struck a good balance - the AI did improve much :)

Yeah, quick movement & quick combat drastically decrease the amount of time the game takes processing AI players.

Though actually loading new & saved games seems much quicker in BNW.

Yeah, quick movement & quick combat drastically decrease the amount of time the game takes processing AI players.

Though actually loading new & saved games seems much quicker in BNW.

I agree, loading time of the save game is less now, but the turns are overly longer.

I play in the map Large, 22 Players, 10 City State. Takes around 50 seconds for turn. In GAK, with same configuration, it took around 20 seconds.

Check Quick Movement and you shall see the difference...

Now, I can understand that not everyone wants to take out the fun of the animations, so you could also reach a middle ground; that is what I did, creating a minimod that basically uses Thal's code block that speeds up unit animations to twice their normal speed.

That is all it takes to enjoy the best of both worlds: quick turns, with quick animations.

Hello, I would be extremely interested in such a mod. If I am not mistake, it simply cut in half animation time, right? Do you know where could I get it?

I think it's all the cargo ships & caravans running around that makes BNW slower. (Unless you switch to quick animations)

I'm currently playing Venice and now have 10 cargo ships running around (3 internal routes providing food to Venice to support those guilds & 7 external routes)
Most of the other major civs probably don't have that most recent increase in trade connections tech, but that's still 7 * 4 = 28 additional trade routes on the map.
(More if the city states can run them)

Top Bottom