pre-TNESIII: The Once and Future Thread

Spoiler :

Purple lines indicate the g'Aurené's maximum lands.

Since you're a relatively new mercantile house involved primarily in overseas and coastal trade, how do you feel about spreading your holdings up and down the coast a bit more? I would probably take away the mountainous stuff and add the entirety of the eastern bay and a few of the smaller islands just west of your claim.

Works for me

House Konradz

Lord Konradz Fredrick Sturluson M, 52

Konradz was the youngest of siblings of 7 and therefore decided to leave to find his own fortune away from his siblings shadows. He earned a name for himself by his hard work and fair dealing. Konradz was from a minor noble house and didn't care much for his family. As Lord Olaf (Roses father) realized that he would have no male a heirs and had no close relatives suitable for his title he decided to marry his daughter to someone who he felt deserved his title. Konradz married Lady Rose and became the head of a new powerful noble house he decided to name after himself. Konradz was happy marrying Lady Rose and it was an honor for him.

Handy (+1)
Just (+1)
Diligent (+1)
Temperamental (-1)

Lady Rose Olafsdaugther F, 48

Lady Rose was an only child and raised as a proper lady she was given a lot of attention
from her father since she was just an only child. Lady Rose had always a fascination with numbers and math had always come easy to her.
When Lady Roses father told her that she would be marrying Konradz she said ''Now that's good,, She had three sons and no daughters.

Dignified (+3)
Trained (+2) accounting
Arrogant (-1)
Obsessive (-2)

Olaf Konradz M,27

Olaf was named after his grandfather. He is a cleaver individual but can be a bit cooky at times. He was engaged to a lovely lady named Brynhild but alas see died of the plague. After that he was hesitant to seek relationships. Kari and Olaf are twins.

Clever (+2)
Trained (+2) Architecture
Patient (+0)
Arrogant (-1)

Kari Konradz M, 27

Little can be said about Kari for he keeps to himself. He speaks little and many find his cold aloof attitude slightly disrespectful. At feast he is always the first to leave if he comes at all. He is said however to be very kind and considered to all people regardless of station. Kari and Olaf are twins.

Smart (+2)
Kind (+2)
Moral (+0)
Distant (-1)
Shy (-1)

Kjartan Konradz M, 24

Kjartan was the youngest of three brothers but he did not mind being the youngest brother neither did he did he love he just lived with it. Kjartan was social man who made friends easily he was popular among the guards and practiced fencing with them. He's also a very skilled merchant and has learned from years of trading that lying is only another version of the truth. Kjartan always keeps his trusty custom made sword with him.
Trained (+2) Merchant
Friendly (+1)
Skilled (+1) - Swordsmanship
Dishonest (-1)

Thanks for expressing interest, karikon. You'll need to tell me more about your characters when you get an opportunity. Also keep in mind that you'll also need to pay attention to your writing as one of the requirements; no silly typos if you can avoid it. That's a red flag for a moderator of a story NES where writing is highly important.

This'll do for now, but it might change when I know the location of the capital.

Spoiler :

Oooh, interesting. That'll put you into competition/cooperation/proximity with cicero.

The royal city of the southern kingdom is probably going to be in the central river valley, near the northern coast, though whether it'll be directly on the coast or slightly inland has yet to be decided.

Somewhere around the below area would be good if possible. :)

Attachments

• stmap.jpg
    stmap.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 127
Names changed and traits reshuffled. Also, would like this location.

Spoiler :

You know, where all those nice lakes are.

Think I did the math right, should have been 17 positive and 8 negative traits. Have 5 positive left over, didn't want to overload these people and make them super special or anything.

House Vardel

Franks Vardel – 41, Head of Household

Franks Vardel is a quiet, deliberate ruler. He is not rash, almost to a fault; however once he makes a decision he stands by it. He is also very loyal to his people and those who support him, he is an idealist and very trusting of those in his inner circle.

Traits:
Positive: Loyal – 2, Diligent – 1, Trained (Swordsman) - 1
Neutral: Patient – 0, Moral – 0
Negative: Distant - 1

Sylvannah Vardel – 43

Sylvannah Vardel is the wife of Franks Vardel, and comes from the family of one of House Vardel’s banner men. While still of noble blood, some of the other banner men frown on her lower-nobility roots, which has made her somewhat self-conscious when in the company of other Houses. This feeling has led to her turning to drink on one too many occasions to help her feel better about herself. Still, she stands by her husband and her family, the Shwenharts, who are fiercely loyal to the Vardels due to the marriage. She is also well known for her adherence to the Faith, and her marriage to Franks Vardel has only increased her piety over the years.

Traits:
Positive: Lucky - 1
Neutral: Pious – 0
Negative: Addicted (alcohol) -3

Alvinar Vardel – 29

Alvinar Vardel is the heir to House Vardel’s Lordship, however, he is not a Vardel by blood. His father, Bertan Nadine, was Franks Vardel’s closest advisor, friend, and personal body guard. Bertan was killed while Franks led a small expedition into the Mountain Clan’s small fortress after Vardel miners reported raids against their nearby camps. Bertan died at age 52, three years ago, after being shot by a Clansman’s longbow. The clan was eradicated, but Franks lost his closest friend. In his honor, he formally adopted his son. Alvinar (whose mother had died in childbirth) was thus made a full member of House Vardel. Being the eldest child of Franks Vardel, he is now the heir to his titles and lands, as the tradition of the land dictates. This has understandably angered the Shwenharts and Dandal Vardel, the next eldest son and previous heir. Alvinar’s common roots and upbringing has helped him foster a better connection to, and respect of and for the peasantry, making him almost a folk hero in the eyes of the commoners who understand who he is. However, while he is literate and has received training in the martial arts by his father, his lack of formal education and etiquette makes the rest of the nobles and lesser houses turn their noses at him. In the eyes of all but his now father he is simply an up-jumped commoner and illegitimate heir to House Vardel.

Traits:
Positive: Just – 1, Trained (Swordsman) -2, Hardy - 2
Neutral: Moral – 0
Negative: Illegitimate – 1 (can this be added? Will decrease respect from some, not all, nobles who are loyal to the House)

Dandal Vardel – 15

Dandal Vardel is best described as a brat. While his parents have done their best to instill a sense of public service into him, he has a large sense of self-entitlement. He is also very bitter towards his adopted older brother, Alvinar. This attitude has only begun to manifest itself within the past year, most likely due to the influence of older boys from lesser Houses he has befriended who see Dandal as the rightful heir, and the only thing that will prevent them from having to declare fealty to a “commoner” once Alvinar comes to power. As such, he is not an evil boy by any means, but he is naïve and easily manipulated and, of course, spoiled.

Traits:
Positive: Clever – 2
Neutral: Amoral - 0
Negative: Obsessive – 2, Tempermental - 1

Diadra Vardel – 11

Diadra Vardel is a sweet, innocent girl who has been overly sheltered by her parents. She suffers the typical fantasies of a girl her age, specifically that of finding and marrying her Prince Charming. While her father has tried to instil a sense of duty to her people in her, her sheltering has caused her to develop a contempt for the lower classes, who she sees as dumb, foul, and disgusting. She is also nearing wedding age and is expected to begin courting suitors; as such she and her mother will need to leave to visit other holds to find her a husband.

Traits:
Positive N/A
Neutral: N/A
Negative: Shy – 1

Great work, Seon and Bestshot.

There's just one tiny issue. azale's house is named Mabun, Seon's is Mabel, and bestshot's is Model.

This will cause confusion in any update, so I'm gonna ask Seon and Bestshot to rename their houses, since azale was first. Continue to think in an Old English/Old Norse direction.

Alright, changed my House name to Vardel.

As far as placement, I am not concerned where the House is placed, except that I would like its lands to encompass hills/mountains. My idea is that they are a House known for iron/steel working and iron/steel smiths and the Vardels and their liege-lords own many mines of various mineral types. They aren't necessarily any better at combat than any other House, just that they have good smiths.

Part of the fun for me is having a few random elements given to me to further develop the background for an area/my people, so you can choose where House Vardel is based out of and that'll give me some direction to take the history of House Vardel as well.

Okay, excellent bestshot. I'll add you to the roster and put you in a good mountainous spot after the other players have made their land choices.

Given your character backgrounds however, I'm likely to put you on the western island, in order to have you in proximity to LoE's Fennacht clans, some of whom could be quite antagonistic.

Seon, I'll add you when you've renamed your house.

Castle Gyll is the main castle of the Illen family. It is mere miles from the capital of the Ulfic Kingdom, Sidell. The Ellfort is the seat of Lord Cerestyf.

Okay, it's time to begin the first Poll of Polls, for all the players except LoE (just kidding, he can vote too) to participate in. This is regarding the shape and structure of our main religion(s). This is going to be the common faith of the Isles, with the exception of the Fennacht who will have their own religion.

---

Q1: What type of theism?

• Atheistic
  • Monotheistic
  • Pseudo-monotheistic [henotheism, dualism, trinitarianism, etc.]
  • Polytheistic
  • Other [Please explain!]

Q2: What types of broad themes should this religion emphasize?

• Universal Dominion
  • Appeasement & Sacrifice
  • Worship of the Land
  • Obscurantism / Mystery Religion
  • Code of Laws / Virtues
  • Enlightenment / Spiritual Evolution
  • Other [Please explain!]

Q3: What type of priesthood(s) would you prefer?

• Landed, politically influential
  • Landed, politically isolationist
  • Unlanded, politically influential
  • Unlanded, politically isolationist
  • Mixture [Please explain!]
  • No priesthood

Q4: What other interesting sects, rituals or customs would you like to see?

Open ended!

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll take them and try and assemble them into something coherent and interesting.

A very quick and ugly claims map. Feel free to tell me if you DESPERATELY want things changed. It's not as pretty as NK's style, but the final product will be.

When the actual NES is ready, everything will be neat and shiny. There will be three separate maps; one for borders and army movements (via little flags,) and two geography maps, one for cities and castles and one for physical geography. The holdings will be on the political map, just not labelled, since the labels would probably get in the way.

Spoiler :

Renamed, from Mable to Lovell

Top Bottom