New Space Map(Playable! Just Fully Completed!)

What should be added?

• More big planets!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More small planets!

• More aliens

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • All of the above

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Nothing, there is enough!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eman448

Chieftain
(Update: I just finished the map!)

Hey! I love playing Caveman2Cosmos, but I was incredibly frustrated that there didn't exist any real space maps for the game. I tried the three planets map, but I couldn't stand the annoying set up of Earth, and mars and the moon didn't really seem like enough.

So I made my own space map! Most players start on one big planet. Then, there are(for now) 6 medium planets on the map, as well as 4 dwarf planets and 2 asteroids. Now, even if you defeat everyone else on earth, there are "alien" civs you can battle!

The moon and Mars are uninhabited which means you won't have to.

The Ice Planet, Europa, is rich in resources, but has a civ that you will have to battle.

The Jungle/Savanna Planet, Paradisio, has two civs on it, but is also incredibly rich in resources. They are two tribal civs, but will be more advanced by the time you reach them.

Large Asteroids are filled with gold and diamonds, but don't have much else going on.

The dwarf planets have advanced barbarians on them, who look more like aliens.

This is what is on the map right now, but there is far more to come. This map is great because you can start prehistoric, have a full, awesome early-mid game on earth, and then start moving on during the Transhuman/Galactic Eras. Its the full C2C expierience! WARNING: PLAYING AS NATIVE AMERICANS, ETHIOPIA, RUSSIA, or MALINESE WILL MEAN YOU WILL BE ON ANOTHER PLANET(NOT RECOMMENDED)

I have left some empty space out in the far east, in case the C2C team wants to add a 2 or 3 new planets of their own!
Enjoy!

To install, just unzip the attachment into your C2C maps folder. Quick and easy!

Attachments

• Space Map.rar
    78.7 KB · Views: 332
As I said, there is a lot of emptiness on the right side of the map, so what do you think should be added?

(Update: I just finished the map!)
So I made my own space map! Most players start on one big planet. Then, there are(for now) 6 medium planets on the map, as well as 4 dwarf planets and 2 asteroids. Now, even if you defeat everyone else on earth, there are "alien" civs you can battle!

What size map is this, Large or Huge?

What size map is this, Large or Huge?

I used the biggest map size they have in Caveman 2 Cosmos: Gigantic. (Remember, I wanted to give the player a full expierience on earth BEFORE they got to space. The biggest planet, other than earth, is the size of a small map!)

How do I use this? Never mind I clicked on the wrong menu item :blush:

edit You need to edit the save file and remove the contact information.

Also when I started I could see two parts of the map. The area I was in and I assume the area my units were moved from initially.

edit You need to edit the save file and remove the contact information.

Also when I started I could see two parts of the map. The area I was in and I assume the area my units were moved from initially.

Eman448

Look at this thread,to find out how to clean the map and remove team reveals.

C2C Map Making Tutorial/Hints it is in this forum.

Excellent work by the way:goodjob:

For our plans with space we were going to have units move from Earth to Orbit and from there to the Moon, Mars and so on. With may be an orbit around some of the bigger planets. IE at first there would not be any movement of units in space for combat or other purposes.

In Earth Orbit there would be one place/plot for each civ where they would build stuff. At first a Satellite System which would upgrade to a Scientific Station which would upgrade to a Space Station.

We could change this to an narrow and long area which is the Earth Orbit for example and let each nation have one plot where their units launch to and then they can move around inside this Orbit. We would need to build a mission for the units that launch into space from Earth which requires a Space Port on the ground. Having an area would allow for early space warfare. The only way to get into this orbit is via the missions which would be from anywhere on the Earth map. IE you would not jump off the edge of the planet.

I think we have two appropriate terrains NONE and SPACE. Putting a line of NONE would separate the regions. SPACE would be used for the orbit areas.

The point is that space is big very big much bigger than Earth. Which means that in the beginning we need to limit the areas of interest.

This also means that you can have the planets almost next to each other as the NONE terrain will be impassible to all.

I think we have two appropriate terrains NONE and SPACE. Putting a line of NONE would separate the regions. SPACE would be used for the orbit areas.

The point is that space is big very big much bigger than Earth. Which means that in the beginning we need to limit the areas of interest.

This also means that you can have the planets almost next to each other as the NONE terrain will be impassible to all.

Interesting concept, but how do you get past the NONE terrain to a new planet/moon etc. Is the game able to change terrain types when a new tech is researched?

Surely, you need to have a terrain feature like ICE, that can only be passed through when certain techs allow ships/submarines etc.to be built, that can pass through ice.

You probably need more than one to limit the level of space exploration. So once you get to the moon, you can not go to Pluto.

i.e.
FeatureType=FEATURE_SPACE, FeatureVariety=0 go to the moon
FeatureType=FEATURE_SPACE, FeatureVariety=1 go to Mars
FeatureType=FEATURE_SPACE, FeatureVariety=2 go to Jupiter etc.

There is no need to go through anything. On doing the mission your unit is mover to its new location. That way a rocket in a city in the middle of the Earth map gets into orbit in the same time as one on the edge of the map.

You will only have the mission to go to orbit until you get the tech that allows you to get the mission that allows you to go to the moon and so on.

It is best if we try and build it as close to what is going to happen with multi-maps where the various maps wont have any connection with each other.

Thank you for your work here!

For a very basic concept of how lunar colonies could work, you can activate the "lunar colonization" module in my folder.

You can find the topic here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=526893

The project was put on hold, mainly because Hydro was against a lot of my ideas and wanted it completely differntly. But also due a lack of time and skill that I'd needed to continue there.

You might check it out and give feedback, I'd highly appreciate it and maybe invest some time in it again :goodjob:

Edit:

DH, while you CAN start from anywhere on earth to orbit, there are some limitations.
First, you mostly want equatorial orbits. And unless you want to spend INSANE amounts of fuel (which is so much that nobody does it), you have to have an equatorial launch site for that. So maybe limit launch facilities to 0-20° North and South.
Another thing is that you always launch to the east. That is not so much of a concern when launching from Florida (as used stages come back down in the atlantic), but if you'd do it the same way in the middle east, they would come down over china. Hart to model in C2C though and probably can be ignored.

Space combat is a cool concept, but in the beginning you should limit it to anti-satellite-missiles.

Honestly, I would just make it so that only advanced ships in the early galactic age can go past asteroids. I used these to seperate our solar system from the other, more advanced planets. Those planets have aliens, and I dont want those fights to take place until the galactic age. For now, the asteroids cant serve that purpose, but hopefully in the future they will.

Honestly, I would just make it so that only advanced ships in the early galactic age can go past asteroids. I used these to seperate our solar system from the other, more advanced planets. Those planets have aliens, and I dont want those fights to take place until the galactic age. For now, the asteroids cant serve that purpose, but hopefully in the future they will.

It is a very good start. As with all starts everyone else, who did not put the time in, can see ways of improving the experience.

Edit:

DH, while you CAN start from anywhere on earth to orbit, there are some limitations.
First, you mostly want equatorial orbits. And unless you want to spend INSANE amounts of fuel (which is so much that nobody does it), you have to have an equatorial launch site for that. So maybe limit launch facilities to 0-20° North and South.
Another thing is that you always launch to the east. That is not so much of a concern when launching from Florida (as used stages come back down in the atlantic), but if you'd do it the same way in the middle east, they would come down over china. Hart to model in C2C though and probably can be ignored.

Totally different to what has to happen on the current map, which is a very good starting point BTW. On the map you have to move across the land first before you can get to space. I can just see the former USSR agreeing to the USA moving rockets across their land to get into space:lol: The current setup severally handicaps any nation not on the edge of the Earth map.

Launch buildings already have a latitude limit. Or at least the early ones do.

The missions are simple they just need to be written an added to the correct units. First there is "Launch to Orbit" then later "Launch to Moon" and so on. Once the unit is on the new map area movement is as normal.

Can you upload some pictures of the map? Currently I don't have Civ IV but looking forward to install your map once I got it again.

It worked OK for me but I am using Questdog's terrain graphics. They don't have as many problems with crashing that the default set has.

Again, why are the problematic ones then the defaults?

Top Bottom