Favorite Settings

Hello, I'm sorry if it has already been asked, in that case just redirect me to the post (I've done a search for it but I couldn't find anything detailed)
Anyway: which are the best settings to enjoy a faster late-game? I'd really like to enjoy an ending-game without having to wait 1 hour between the turns, even if I know this is one of the major problem of Civilization.
Anyway, which is the best setting to help the engine at this point of the game? So: a smaller map, less civs, Rev off (or on?), other option I should enable/disable. Thank you very much :)

Im still trying to work out best options for my laptop I have a 2.7ghz I7 8gb of RAM and a Niveidia 280m GTX Graphics card. It frustrating me trying to get the righ balance.....

Anyone with similiar computer specs have any good sugestions?

Hello, I'm sorry if it has already been asked, in that case just redirect me to the post (I've done a search for it but I couldn't find anything detailed)
Anyway: which are the best settings to enjoy a faster late-game? I'd really like to enjoy an ending-game without having to wait 1 hour between the turns, even if I know this is one of the major problem of Civilization.
Anyway, which is the best setting to help the engine at this point of the game? So: a smaller map, less civs, Rev off (or on?), other option I should enable/disable. Thank you very much :)

What OS and Comp specs.? What vid card and ram?

What map size and # of AI do you usually use?

Keep # of AI under 12 for Huge and larger maps. Standard and Large keep AI under 7.
Stay away from the GEM, PerfectMongoose, etc type maps. Takes longer to build those type maps than standard BtS types like Continents, Archipelago, Lakes, Island, Tectonic, etc.

Yes with REV Off you remove a whole block of complicated code/processing. Same for disabling Mastery Victory and using just 1 or 2 Victory conditions. Leave out (NO) Vassals, Inquisitions, Fixed Borders, City Limits by Civics. Avoid Start as Minors, Barb Civ and Barb World.

Set your Graphic Options to Medium.

All these should reduce the workload of the computer.

JosEPh

Yea sorry, I've forgotten.

HP Pav Dv6, i7-2630QM, 2.00GHz, 8gb Ram
Windows 7 64 bit
Radeon HD 6770M

Well I'll give it a try, I hope it wont' take too long between turns!

And what about multiple unit/research, advance diplomatic/spionage, realistic corporation, new nukes, united nations?

I chose also "No fixed borders" and "No city limits", accordig to what you said it should help

<snip>

HP Pav Dv6, i7-2630QM, 2.00GHz, 8gb Ram
Windows 7 64 bit
Radeon HD 6770M

Well I'll give it a try, I hope it wont' take too long between turns!

Specs look good should do just fine

And what about multiple unit/research, advance diplomatic/spionage, realistic corporation, new nukes, united nations?

I chose also "No fixed borders" and "No city limits", accordig to what you said it should help

These others are okay. They generally do not create a lot of processing.

You comp should not be taking 1 hour in the later Eras, unless you have over 20 AI each with more than 20 cities. You have sufficient CPU and and ram to handle the load. But do realize that the more AI in the late game the more processing is necessary. So maybe you should "prune" a few AI along the way to reach the last eras with acceptable EoT wait times.

I only have a core 2 duo with 8Gb of 1066 DDR2 ram and a HD 6450 with 2GB of vid ram and I have never hit the 1 hour level for EoT (end of Turn). But then I never play with more than 12 AI and Barb World on a Huge or Giant map. And here recently I've never got past industrial Era either (game was either won or lost by then, Or major changes in SVN versions caused the game to be abandoned for a new one.)

JosEPh

It is also a good idea to post such savegames in the Bugs&Crashes thread so that the devs can take a look for parts of the game that may take up much CPU.

Specs look good should do just fine

These others are okay. They generally do not create a lot of processing.

You comp should not be taking 1 hour in the later Eras, unless you have over 20 AI each with more than 20 cities. You have sufficient CPU and and ram to handle the load. But do realize that the more AI in the late game the more processing is necessary. So maybe you should "prune" a few AI along the way to reach the last eras with acceptable EoT wait times.

I only have a core 2 duo with 8Gb of 1066 DDR2 ram and a HD 6450 with 2GB of vid ram and I have never hit the 1 hour level for EoT (end of Turn). But then I never play with more than 12 AI and Barb World on a Huge or Giant map. And here recently I've never got past industrial Era either (game was either won or lost by then, Or major changes in SVN versions caused the game to be abandoned for a new one.)

JosEPh
Yes. I always found some AI pruning worked wonders. Less chance of the AI getting too...compentant...to beat me.

Koshling has been a miracle-worker for the competence of the AI. IIRC back in the day the AI actually evaluated increased instability as a GOOD thing, which was a bug that dated back to the beginning of REV. That and many other long-standing AI bugs have been fixed in C2C.

It has been great improvement. I always used Revolutions and at one time te AI would be having revolutions constantly even in the very early game. My most recent game I was worried I forgot to turn Revolutions on as they were so infrequent I thought they must be turned off. AI definately isn't crippled by it anymore which is awesome.

It has been great improvement. I always used Revolutions and at one time te AI would be having revolutions constantly even in the very early game. My most recent game I was worried I forgot to turn Revolutions on as they were so infrequent I thought they must be turned off. AI definately isn't crippled by it anymore which is awesome.

I have been getting a whole bunch of One CIty Minors in my game (whihc is in the Medieval Era now), but I don't know if that is REV or Barbs turning into civs. If the latter we need a mechanism to merge Barb civs into larger conglomerations, otehrwise their new civs are kinda pointless.

I have been getting a whole bunch of One CIty Minors in my game (whihc is in the Medieval Era now), but I don't know if that is REV or Barbs turning into civs. If the latter we need a mechanism to merge Barb civs into larger conglomerations, otehrwise their new civs are kinda pointless.

But the OPM/OCM make nice snacks and vassals.
Plus, for historical events, if it were a Europe map, and they were in Germany, you have a pretty historical game..in the sense of EU3.
Which means it can go crazy pronto

But the OPM/OCM make nice snacks and vassals.
Plus, for historical events, if it were a Europe map, and they were in Germany, you have a pretty historical game..in the sense of EU3.
Which means it can go crazy pronto

I'm going to try and figure out a better algorithm for Emergent civs (ie, Barbs turning into normal civilizations) that allows them to glom together better and not as easily be defeated.

I'm going to try and figure out a better algorithm for Emergent civs (ie, Barbs turning into normal civilizations) that allows them to glom together better and not as easily be defeated.

Ruhr now I think individual cities 'promote' to minor civs. Might be good to have it search for other nearby cities and have any within a certain range (up to some limit) all convert as one new minor civ.

Ruhr now I think individual cities 'promote' to minor civs. Might be good to have it search for other nearby cities and have any within a certain range (up to some limit) all convert as one new minor civ.

Yes, that is exactly what I plan to do. Which method does that for barbarian cities? or is that handled by the Rev function?

But that is what already happens:confused:. As far as I can see Barbarian Civs is controlled in the BUG options. When a barbarian city is big enough and known of by enough named nations it is targeted to become a new civ. Any near by barbarian cities join the new nation. Techs are given to the nation, buildings built and units supplied.

I suspect that our lack of definitions for what buildings become free in era start and free at tech is what is making these nations unable to cope. Especially as new nations are given very big armies to start with - they probably don't get the buildings nescessary to support that many units.

But that is what already happens:confused:. As far as I can see Barbarian Civs is controlled in the BUG options. When a barbarian city is big enough and known of by enough named nations it is targeted to become a new civ. Any near by barbarian cities join the new nation. Techs are given to the nation, buildings built and units supplied.

I suspect that our lack of definitions for what buildings become free in era start and free at tech is what is making these nations unable to cope. Especially as new nations are given very big armies to start with - they probably don't get the buildings nescessary to support that many units.

In my latest game individual cities turn, leaving their neighbours as barbs.

@ls612 - no idea where it happens, you'll have to search for it I'm afraid.

Greetings, I'm new to this awesome mod. Just wanted to ask - does turning off random events make the game easier than it should be on a given difficulty level? Does it disable any normal features of the mod?

I'm currently playing a large map on Chieftain difficulty. Stone-axe-rushed 3 opponents in early game and elephant-rushed several other civs later. So, in 2000 BC, I'm the sole ruler of the huge continent I started at. With 40+ cities and 7000+ :science:/turn I'm on the verge of entering the Renaissance era and conquering the continents accross the ocean which my Caravels are already mapping out. The AI performs miserably on Chieftain.

But even on Chieftain, if you are entering the Medieval era a little bit after 3000 BC with the previous part of the tech tree being completely filled... it just feels too good to be true and something must be wrong in my game settings.

Some of my other settings:

* Start as minor civs - saw it in a YT video and I agree it's a fun setting
* No tribal villages - after getting a Tribe from a goody hut in the 3rd turn I realized tribal villages were not a good idea and launched a new game with them disabled
* Realistic cultural spread - off
* Revolutions - off
* Decaying religions - off
* Resource depletion - off
* A setting which lets Barbarian cities evolve to normal civs - on
* Game speed - Snail

I have version 28.

Greetings, I'm new to this awesome mod. Just wanted to ask - does turning off random events make the game easier than it should be on a given difficulty level? Does it disable any normal features of the mod?

I'm currently playing a large map on Chieftain difficulty. Stone-axe-rushed 3 opponents in early game and elephant-rushed several other civs later. So, in 2000 BC, I'm the sole ruler of the huge continent I started at. With 40+ cities and 7000+ :science:/turn I'm on the verge of entering the Renaissance era and conquering the continents accross the ocean which my Caravels are already mapping out. The AI performs miserably on Chieftain.

But even on Chieftain, if you are entering the Medieval era a little bit after 3000 BC with the previous part of the tech tree being completely filled... it just feels too good to be true and something must be wrong in my game settings.

Some of my other settings:

* Start as minor civs - saw it in a YT video and I agree it's a fun setting
* No tribal villages - after getting a Tribe from a goody hut in the 3rd turn I realized tribal villages were not a good idea and launched a new game with them disabled
* Realistic cultural spread - off
* Revolutions - off
* Decaying religions - off
* Resource depletion - off
* A setting which lets Barbarian cities evolve to normal civs - on
* Game speed - Snail

I have version 28.
If you usually play cheifdom, you must go up three difficulty levels. Also, turn on flexible difficulty. Flexible difficulty can be turned on by going to the upper left part of your HUD, clicking the red bug, and going to the right spot in BUG and make sure flexible difficulty is on. This forces the game to be at what you need to have a fun, challenging, but not impossible game. Also, due to the sheer scope and sized this mod is nethier finished, balanced past at least ancient, and only on lower speeds did the modders balance it correctly yet.

Well, many are negligable, some are nifty and usefull and some are annoying. The prehistoric and early ancient fire events are annoying and a tad excessive (to the point where I avoid fire generating buildings until mid-late ancient). The herds of wild animals appearing near cities and the occasional free promotion ones are nice. Later on you can get 'quest' like events which are kinda neat too.

Ah, that's how Flammability works! So, the greater the Flammability the greater the likelihood of a fire event. I had a feeling that Flammability was something bad and I too avoided the buildings that increased this property. But it seems that nothing happened because I had events turned off completely.

Yes, I guess I should increase the game difficulty next time. In his YT walkthrough, quill18 suggested to go down 1-2 levels from the difficulty level of vanilla BTS. I'm a Prince player of vanilla BTS, so I guess I'm gonna try Warlord first and if it's too easy then I'll move up to Noble. I'll also see what this flexible difficulty setting does.

Top Bottom