Any source for unit icons?

Arkatakor

King
I would like to insert a weaker version of the hand axe unit, however I would like to use a different in game unit icon (I mean the type of icon in the attachment) so that its visible to the player that its a different unit (I guess I will keep the same 3d model as axe thrower). Is there any source for such in game icons that I can browse?

Attachments

• axeman2.jpg
    axeman2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 134
Arkatakor said:
Is there any source for such in game icons that I can browse?

I'm going to call them flags (cause that's what they are).
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking for unit flags already used in the game? Or are you asking for new, community-made flags?

If you're just asking about unit flags that already exist in-game, just look at the different types of units found in the game. Find one that you like. You'll want to copy the UnitFlag definition and update the UnitFlagOffsetIcon definition of the unit in CIV5Units.xml for your new unit.

If you're asking if there is a source for community-made icons, you can:
- find a mod with a unit flag you particularly like, ask the creator for permission to use it, and pull it out of the mod
- make your own

If you decide to make your own, you'll need to correctly designate the alpha layer and make an icon atlas (and then activate it in your mod).

This might help you with adding your own original icon: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=390101

Thank you for this; yes, I was referring to the unit flags (I was not aware of the proper name for it). You have given me all the information I was hoping for - I am guessing it would not be a big deal for me to create my own unit flag. I am assuming its a dds file? How it changes color based on which player is holding it is also beyond me. Apart from that, it should not be a big deal to create one I imagine.

I'll also look around for different flags in the community.

Yes, it is a .dds file.
To indicate which parts of the flag change color, you will need to set the alpha layer. All the alpha layer does is indicate what part of the icon is transparent and will be filled in with the background color.
I read a good thread about this, which I cannot find at the moment, but I will post it here if i find it. I'm sure if you play around with it, you'll be able to figure out what works and what doesn't. Heedless, I'll still look for the thread.
Good luck. :)

Yes, it is a .dds file.
To indicate which parts of the flag change color, you will need to set the alpha layer. All the alpha layer does is indicate what part of the icon is transparent and will be filled in with the background color.
I read a good thread about this, which I cannot find at the moment, but I will post it here if i find it. I'm sure if you play around with it, you'll be able to figure out what works and what doesn't. Heedless, I'll still look for the thread.
Good luck. :)
I'm assuming basically everything thats not the actual drawing on the icon should be transparent. I'll take a look at an existing dds flag sample and see if I can figure my way out on that.

Thanks again for the help and your efforts in finding that thread. Think I should be able to figure it out though.

Arkatakor said:
I'm assuming basically everything thats not the actual drawing on the icon should be transparent.
Yes. But if you don't add an alpha channel your flag may not work correctly. DDS file format is used because it preserves the alpha layer (or channel, I use the terms interchangeably) when exported.
Mantose said:
I used gimp to start a new image file 32 x 32 with a transparent background (advanced options -background fill- transparency). Then I added the image(if the image you create/copy&paste is white , the game will automatically apply the right civ colors to it) I wanted and saved as a dds file with an alpha channel (Format rgba8)