The Viking Age Scenario

I hope the civpedia entries are clear enough on the "science" victory. They are a little finicky. They are 3 different earldoms to your London, a papal legate from any coastal city to London, an Archbishop from either of York or Canterbury, and a Royal Procession from your original capital to London (as far as I recall).

I am glad you are feeling challenged. I hope the science victory is achieved and works correctly :).

I finally won a Science Victory (Papal Procession) around turn 350, with Alfred of Wessex, on Immortal. I'm still using version 7, so someone playing now might have a slightly different experience. Overall, fantastic mod. The historical detail, the unique units, and the different strategies from different civilizations all make it one of the best I've played. There were a few bugs, which I've discussed with the creator about via message, and which probably are fixed. And time of turns is still an issue later in the game. But overall, this is a blast to play and doubly so because this is one of my favorite, and one of the most neglected, eras of history.

Here's a summary of how I won. First, the advantages and disadvantages of being Wessex. Advantages: You're best positioned to win a science victory, because the cities you need to control are close by. Your UA and UU give you the best land army in the game. And once you subdue Mercia, most of your threats will come from the sea, and the AI stinks at naval warfare. Disadvantages Everyone's going to hate you. This will happen no matter what you do. Research agreements and trade partners will be rare. The other civs will gang up on you. And for that reason, maintaining an army big enough to fight them off will challenge your treasury and your unit limit. But it can be done, even by a guy who rarely beats Immortal on BNW.

Think about the game in 5 phases. The turns are approximate as I am going by memory.

1) First 25 turns. Use your existing army, and the units you will earn, to take your original capital, Winchester, and then push on to London. You can take another city or two, but you need London.

2) Turns 25-75. Consolidate your empire and build your defenses and civilization for the first big attack. You need to balance normal civ growth with preparing for the attack that's coming.

3) Turns 75-125. Survive the first big attack. One or two people will declare war on you, and then in a domino effect almost everyone will. Normandy and the vikings will come by sea. Mercia and Northumbria will come by land. Odds are the city states will flip against you. Survive. The UU and UA will help you 1) survive ranged attacks; and 2) move between different threats quickly, which you will need to do because you will have trouble having enough gold and unit capacity for the army to defend everything. Holding coastal cities may be impossible if you don't have a good navy, so you may want to focus on land and take the coastal cities next. Eventually, your enemies will want peace. I was able to make most of them pay me GPT for peace, which really helped the next phase.

4) Turns 125-225. This is classic mid-game where you build your empire internally and whittle away cities from your enemies. Except every few dozen turns someone, or several someones, will attack. You need to be prepared and thus wars you start should be limited. I focused on science as much as possible to get to the good naval technologies and then crossbowman. Science was especially important because no one would be friends for a RA, so I needed all the science myself. . The naval technologies may have been a mistake, because I never had enough port cities to get a navy good enough to challenge for control of the seas. (That's consistent with historical Wessex, btw. Excellent infantry, especially in defense, and a navy enough to defend the coast at times but not take control of the sea). Crossbowman, especially once prompted with logistics, make coastal defense much easier.

5) Turns 225 - finish. The good news is by this point you should be strong enough, and defenses set enough, that your enemies can't conquer you. The bad news is twofold: One, you will likely have massive financial problems with your army and buildings in your cities. Two, science victory takes much, much longer because the components take longer to build and you need to build them in certain cities, which you will need to conquer and then build up. I dealt with problem #1 by staying at war at all times during this period, especially with the viking civs. I had researched Honor all the way, so I made up -150 or more GPT deficit by killing enemy ships and tribute in peace treaties. I dealt with problem #2 by using internal trade routes for production, because external routes were no good anyhow.

Thank-you for the gameplay overview. I am glad you were able to finish your game. I recall you were playing on Immortal. From your example, it seems it was quick speed... the game is slow, so that or Standard speed are probably best. I cannot imagine how long Marathon might take.

I havd not yet uploaded a version correcting some of the bugs you caught. I will do so this weekend and announce it on this thread when I do. There are some changes and improvements that add a bit more detail, are more efficient coding, and add artwork.

The new upload will see a renumbering to version 2.

I have uploaded version 2.0 to dropbox in the opening post.

Changes:
- a lot of recoding of lua for efficiency. It may run slightly faster now... autoplay games seem to indicate so.
- I completed all the maps for the civs... no more Russia map for Northumbria.
- I redid some UUs and Civ traits to be more interesting Dal Riata/ Connacht.
- some bugs were squashed.

I intend to continue with artwrk improvements. Also, I still want to randomize Viking attacks. I intend to add a couple of luxury resource producing buildings (Cloth Merchant).

Finally, I am still working on making this into a custom game.

Later!

The map is way too small, should include Russia, middle east, North Africa and so on. Btw; there has never been any civ called the vikings.

There is no "Viking" civilization in the scenario... there are the Danes, two Norwegian Civs, and Sweden. Similarly, there is no Anglo-Saxon or Irish civs but rather, smaller "Kingdoms" that make up elements of these civilizations. There is a list of all the civs in one of the initial posts.

It is a "Scenario". It is meant to represent what occurred in North-West Europe specifically. A scenario involving the areas you mention is not something I am interested in portraying at the moment. This scenario is meant to show what happened in a particular area of operations... similarly, a WW 2 scenario might just show a portion of the war such as on the Eastern Front. That does not make it any less valid.

I think you may not have played the scenario... you should give it a try. It is extremely accurate as far as civ abilities and units. You may enjoy it.

Thank-you for your comments.

I'm sorry to report that on my Mac AppStore latest version of Civ 5 this exciting (sounding) scenario crashes as I try to load it.

I would like to work with you to resolve this if you are interested.

Yes, Complete, every expansion
Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 2.41.10 PM.png

Top Bottom