Fairy Tale

Oh yeah! Nice idea that one too! The next update is already as good as ready, but the ideas presented here will for sure be the next thing I work on. The next update will be along within the days. I just need to test it to see that nothing is really wrong.

The hidden nationality thing is interesting. I've already thought of it, but in a bit smaller scale than you, jennvare. In the upcoming update I've included the "Beast Farm", where you can train wolfpacks to send into enemy territory. They function as scouts and can also be useful to prey on enemy settlers and workers and do have their nationality hidden. I was thinking about upgrading the wolves into some other form of beasts as the game goes on.

Your idea is good, Jennvar. It would make for lots of inofficial unconventional, wars between mercenaries, wars that could surely spur other, even hotter wars later on. I could also add a few naval units to such an arrangement; to make for pirates and inofficial wars at sea. It's on my update list! I just need to think it through a bit more.

Keep the ideas coming, people, because they are much appreciated!

Version 4

FAIRY TALE VERSION 4
Civilization IV BtS

The Changes

*Yatenga was missing their special worker. Corrected.
*The Purple Tower now requires Tech The Empire.
*The First nation to discover Tech The Empire now receives the unit "The Emperor", which is the strongest combat unit in the game!
*The nation which owns the Purple Tower can from now on build "The Imperial Guard".
*Added the Beast Farm where you can train wolves to explore rival territory and attack easy prey like settlers and workers. Available from Tech Horse Breeding.
*The Royal Family members can no longer just enter rival territory without open borders. The enemy used the King to scout my territory in a test-game. Sigh.
*Caravels are now buildable from Tech School of Geography. To get sea exploration going earlier.
*On the other hand, the Denerean Cog and the Viking Longboat can no longer enter rival territory.
*Created the Huge 100x100 map of the Known World and placed all civs on it. It expands the Known World to the West and South, making room for new civs.
*Added two new Civilizations: Zuur and Arcana, both with proper units, leaders, anthems, flags and unique buildings. Phew. These are playable on the 100x100 map, as I actually didn't have room for them on the smaller version of the World of Fairy Tale map. These two bring up the total number of unique civs in Fairy Tale to 14.
*Added a couple of new leaders. The new Elven one is based on Gandhi. Just for fun. I wanted to see how Gandhi behaves in this rather aggressive world! Happy Easter, people!

Known Issues

The AI still can't use The King properly. I just set the Default Unit AI to UNITAI_GENERAL though and I hope that solves it. I'll see in my own playtesting what happens and have the update included in the next patch. Also, the Wolfpacks that are buildable are a bit useless really. But they're a taster. I am going to add on the idea.

You will have to download the full Version 4 of Fairy Tale to get all the updates. The Patch didn't work as intended and had to be pulled. The Full Version 4 of Fairy Taleis downloadable now.

Le Sage, I hate to be a bearer of bad news but when I downloaded your new patch and did some checking I found a number of art files missing (from your new civs buttons for example)....you might want to recheck your mod patch....

Here is the list I generated:
MissingArt: Art/Structures/Buildings/Hermitage/gaurimagecollege.nif
Used: Fairy_Tale art/civ4artdefines_building.xml at line 1146
MissingArt: Art/Structures/Buildings/Oracle/undeadlibrary.nif
Used: Fairy_Tale art/civ4artdefines_building.xml at line 1286
MissingArt: Art/Structures/Buildings/Creation/HumanBank.NIF
Used: Fairy_Tale art/civ4artdefines_building.xml at line 1546
MissingArt: Art/Buttons/NationButtonZuur.dds
Used: Fairy_Tale art/civ4artdefines_civilization.xml at line 17
MissingArt: Art/Buttons/NationButtonArcana.dds
Used: Fairy_Tale art/civ4artdefines_civilization.xml at line 173
MissingArt: Art/Interface/LeaderHeads/LeaderArcana2Button.dds
Used: Fairy_Tale art/civ4artdefines_leaderhead.xml at line 27
MissingArt: Art/Interface/LeaderHeads/LeaderArcana2.dds
Used: Fairy_Tale art/civ4artdefines_leaderhead.xml at line 28
MissingArt: Art/Units/Other/Magicians/Female/ancientspy.nif
Used: Fairy_Tale art/civ4artdefines_unit.xml at line 256
MissingArt: Art/Units/Other/Magicians/Female/ancientspy.nif
Used: Fairy_Tale art/civ4artdefines_unit.xml at line 258
MissingArt: Art/Units/Goblins/Archer/OrcishArcher/Archer_FX.nif
Used: Fairy_Tale art/civ4artdefines_unit.xml at line 7997
MissingArt: Art/Units/Goblins/Archer/OrcishArcher/Archer_FX.nif
Used: Fairy_Tale art/civ4artdefines_unit.xml at line 7999
MissingArt: Art/Buttons/EE2_Caravel_Button.dds
Used: Fairy_Tale art/civ4artdefines_unit.xml at line 8679

OK. Thanks. I knew adding so many files to a patch would sooner or later generate problems. I'm pulling that Patch then, since it's no good. It hasn't been authenticated on ModDB yet, thank God.

Soon Version 4 will be online at Fairy Tale's ModDB page; probably in a few hours. That one just has to be reviewed by staff first. It has all the updates in place, but it's a 88 MB download. That's why I wanted to make patches as well.

Since patching won't work for me anymore, since I can't paste all these files like this (one slight error or one file issing leads to everything crashing down), I don't know how to do the updates in the future since I like to update often...

Keep checking the ModDB page. The updated Version 4 is there soon.

Oh. And thanks, Highwayhoss for reporting!

OK. Thanks. I knew adding so many files to a patch would sooner or later generate problems. I'm pulling that Patch then, since it's no good. It hasn't been authenticated on ModDB yet, thank God.

Soon Version 4 will be online at Fairy Tale's ModDB page; probably in a few hours. That one just has to be reviewed by staff first. It has all the updates in place, but it's a 88 MB download. That's why I wanted to make patches as well.

Since patching won't work for me anymore, since I can't paste all these files like this (one slight error or one file issing leads to everything crashing down), I don't know how to do the updates in the future since I like to update often...

Keep checking the ModDB page. The updated Version 4 is there soon.

Oh. And thanks, Highwayhoss for reporting!

Anytime...downloading V4 now

Version 4 has been nothing but problems. Now all nations have access to the Arcana mounted units too, just because I added own unit classes to them, which was very useless and rather foolish of me.

Oh well. There will be an update within the next hours, where those Arcana units are removed from all the other nations and instead a new civ is added. I will probably have to work on this update all night.

Corrections Patch 4A

This Patch upgrades Fairy Tale to Version 4a, which has several updates to the original game, mostly corrections. You need Fairy Tale Version 4 for this to work. To Install, simpy unzip the Fairy Tale folder to your mods folder in your Beyond the Sword directory where you initially installed the game. Overwrite where asked.

This Patch mostly has corrections to stuff that was wrong in Version 4. There is also a new civ added here, although, keep in mind, that it is not really done yet. The Erezon is a fully playable civ though; but missing proper national anthem, buttons, flag and small things like that.

The manual is opened by opening the ReadMe.html file supplied with the mod, and the Version History can be studied in the manual as well.

Blimey. I hope it works patching it this time around. Note that this is a patch of pressing corrections. Small stuff like buttons are not done yet.

Download the Patch here

Right. Now I can get on with work...

I'm in the middle of downloading Version 4 right now (74% as I write this). As I understand it, I should download Patch 4A and install it before trying the mod.

<sigh> LeSage I found a typo in the Civ4CivilizationsInfo.xml file....you have two <Unit> tags one after the other at line 2432 causing the file to fail loading...Sorry

That's it. I'm never doing another Patch again after this one. There's no way for me to check if the stuff works either. I'm uploading the new one right now.

You can only remove the <Unit>, Hoss.

Here's the updated Patch. The Patch of the Patch.

And yes, Ambidexter. That's true. Patch it first. With the one above.

That's it. I'm never doing another Patch again after this one. There's no way for me to check if the stuff works either. I'm uploading the new one right now.

You can always have a base install and the patched mod in two different dirs and rename the dirs as you go (or simply rename the ini file of one), so it is easy to test a patch before shipping it.

And yes, Ambidexter. That's true. Patch it first. With the one above.

Hm, does this mean I have to apply both patches, one after the other, or only the most recent one. I would expect the latter, same filesize, same patchname...

The idea with the two different dirs is interesting. Thanks, Mamba.

Yeah. I changed all links to the patch now. The one you get when you donwload it, will be the one you're supposed to use. Only one, therefore.

Do you think you will add Hyrule to the mod?

Unfortunately I am personally unfamiliar with the Zelda games, and am not quite capable of making a map of Hyrule.

I have indeed added two maps to this mod that lets you play in Fantasy Worlds not my own. There is Tolkien's Middle Earth and I have also included Tamriel from the Elder Scrolls. I am interested in doing more like that. I could probably do a pretty mean Britannia from the old Ultima-series, but I am unfamiliar with Hyrule, I'm afraid, and my map of that wouldn't be good therefore.

Ah! The Civs in Fairy Tale are specific to this mod, and adding a civ from a different source is not within my plans. Though there is nothing that says it couldn't be done, my own knowledge in Zelda is very much nonexistent, so someone else would have to do that addition.

Adding a new civ to the existing is actually very much straightforward, but adding civs is quite a bit of work too. I'm currently doing civ number 15, which is the Erezon. With them I was very lucky that there are loads of Asian medieval units to use, as the Erezon is inspired by Japanese/Chinese medieval history, but some of the other civs have been quite hard to get units for. All civs need an own flag, leaders and national anthems and so on, if one doesn't want to use vanilla.

Patch 4b; The Erezon Update

Tonight I have done the Erezon civilization that was left half-done in the latest update. This patch only includes a new leader head, the national anthem, flag and coat of arms and all the unit buttons for the Erezon Empire. It also places the Erezon on the 100x100 map of the World of Fairy Tale.

I upload this patch here first, in the expectation that the CivFanatics Fairy Tale players will test it and report if there are errors. This, since I've been having problems with my patches lately. Hopefully this one works OK.

To Install, simpy unzip the Fairy Tale folder to your mods folder in your Beyond the Sword directory where you initially installed the game. Overwrite where asked. The manual is opened by opening the ReadMe.html file supplied with the mod, and the Version History can be studied in the manual as well.

Download Patch 4b here.

You need both the Full install of Fairy Tale and the Previous Patch for this to work. Those are found on ModDB.

LeSage wrote: "*The First nation to discover Tech The Empire now receives the unit "The Emperor", which is the strongest combat unit in the game!"

Playing the Collective in the 'Rise of the Collective' scenario, I researched Empire, but the Emperor unit is definitely NOT the strongest in the game. It is only 12 strength, the same as the Knight and much less than the Hell Beast (20). Is this an oversight?

jimmygeo

It is an oversight, unfortunately. I was actually waiting to get a better model for the Emperor Unit, and I forgot to change the existing one's stats accordingly. The one that is, doesn't look very Emperor-like. I have yet to find a suitable emperor though, but the stats will be corrected in the next Patch, coming tomorrow.

Thanks for reporting it, Jimmygeo! I'll change it right away, so I don't forget.

Update 4c Test Version

Lucky me that I have all these hundreds of thousands of players of my mod, that I can just upload a Beta Version here and get them all to test it and report if it works or not! Lucky, lucky me that I have these masses of people playing Fairy Tale and that they all are just waiting, standing on line in fact, to help me out by reporting any problems with my Beta Patches before they go onto ModDB! :p

This is for the Civ Fanatics thread reader's eyes only. It is the Beta version of Patch 4c, and, as usual, I upload it here first in the hope that you will report any problems with it, before I throw it off to ModDB.

This Patch upgrades Fairy Tale to Version 4c.

You need the Full Install of Fairy Tale AND you need patches 4a and 4b for this to work. Those components are downloadable from Fairy Tale's ModDB page. To Install, simpy unzip the Fairy Tale folder to your mods folder in your Beyond the Sword directory where you initially installed the game. Overwrite where asked.

This Patch adds some new material to Fairy Tale, yet it isn't imperative for gameplay. It adds an Erezon hero, a new Pirate unit that can carry the seawar to the enemy. It also adds the Pirate Haven National Wonder where those strong Pirate ships are built.

The manual is opened by opening the ReadMe.html file supplied with the mod, and the Version History can be studied in the manual as well.

Download Patch 4c

...Wait. Screenshots coming up. I took some good ones today.

Here we see the new Palace and the new Fairy Tale castle in action. They were supplied by Walter Hawkwood. We also see the Erezon army going to the attack, led by their swordsmen (designed by Danrell). The Erezon have access to some real good infantry, and playinng them, I could build an advantage early on by taking several enemy cities. Nice.

Top Bottom