Backstabbing notification gone and DoF still there after war?

Glassmage

The Desert Flame
So I was playing as Dutch and has a DoF with Spain. Then Spain declared war on me. If you go to Diplomacy Global Relations you should see the BACKSTAB trait in red for Spain, but I never saw it. After she surrendered, we are still in a DoF and she was Friendly. lol wtf

Indeed, I was between Spain and Austria and they declared war on me in the same turn.... curious... In any case Spain should still have the "BACKSTABBED YOU" in red when you look in her global relations box but it is not there. Also I thought when wars are declared all deals are off. The resource & gold trading between us stopped but the DoF is still there.

Currently, "Backstab" does not show up if you DoW someone you have a DoF with.

However, you do see the "Backstab" label if someone Denounces someone they have a DoF with.

Oh yes, I think this is the problem where War and Denounce are not treated equally. AI's only hate me if I denounce their friends or their friends denounce me. If I declare war but no denounce going on then no negative diplo modifiers for me. Will make a thread about this later with pictures.

Oh yes, I think this is the problem where War and Denounce are not treated equally. AI's only hate me if I denounce their friends or their friends denounce me. If I declare war but no denounce going on then no negative diplo modifiers for me. Will make a thread about this later with pictures.
Well, it does add up in the "They believe you are a warmongering menace to the world!" penalty. And there actually is a "You have Declared War on leaders you’ve made Declarations of Friendship with!" penalty. You just won't see it if it's between two other AI's.

But I agree that it is odd that DoW'ing a Friend is not considered a Backstab when Denouncing them is. (I am fairly sure in that earlier versions, a DoW on a Friend counted as a backstab).

A war is different to a backstab. View it from other civs eyes. War is a face to face act. Backstabbing is war without war. Friendship and warfare are different. Civs do not necessarily go to war on those they hate and they do not necessarily go to peace with their friends. War does not mean the end of friendship just a temporary cessation of it. Peace does not mean the end of hostility just a temporary cessation of it. Geopolitics.
Cheers

A war is different to a backstab. View it from other civs eyes. War is a face to face act. Backstabbing is war without war. Friendship and warfare are different. Civs do not necessarily go to war on those they hate and they do not necessarily go to peace with their friends. War does not mean the end of friendship just a temporary cessation of it. Peace does not mean the end of hostility just a temporary cessation of it. Geopolitics.
Cheers
Actually, it's a bit inconsistent whether or not a DoW actually breaks a DoF.

I recall playing as Sweden where a DoW meant you no longer benefit from the +10% bonus. Then again, if you get two AI's who are friends to DoW each other, they still sometimes treat each other as friends (in that one gives me the message "looks like you are friends with him! I am too!" for shared friends).

Top Bottom