Noob question - which tech?

It pops up once, like every tech you discover. Afterwards theres no way to tell as far as I know. You may open the techtree to see all techs you got. The one you didnt research is the free one :p

It pops up once, like every tech you discover. Afterwards theres no way to tell as far as I know. You may open the techtree to see all techs you got. The one you didnt research is the free one :p
Thanks - I had one due 'any turn now' and assumed the pop-up was that one finishing - seems it just happened to finish off the one I was currently researching.

That does often happen.

Yes indeed, which causes me to get out the time machine and wait a turn to complete the tech I was on to avoid wasting the hut.

Of course, you have no idea what's in the hut (could be culture, enough faith for a pantheon, or (my favorite) a map of nearby ocean tiles!).

ya know, the coders COULD have coded it so that a free tech ruin will be anything you arent currently teching. but that would be too nice, i guess. i will time-machine every time it happens if im less than 5 turns from finishing it, and only because i consider it terrible programming.

I think the hut tech boost should be points, as a culture or faith hut.

Yes indeed, which causes me to get out the time machine and wait a turn to complete the tech I was on to avoid wasting the hut.

I do this sometimes as well, but only on Immortal or Deity. Below that, I don't need the help.

ya know, the coders COULD have coded it so that a free tech ruin will be anything you arent currently teching.

Ah shucks, you're so hard! ;)

I've found that every hut that stiffs me with a mere two turns off the tech I was already researching, is balanced out over time by that nice hut that gives me Archery or Animal Husbandry on turn five the next game. Last night I got Writing while I was just starting on Pottery. :)

Man, it's a sweet thing to get Archery while you're still researching Mining. $$$

Having a hut give beakers, rather than a specific tech, would be a solid improvement.

Defeats the purpose of the hut. You are, in theory, finding the ruins of an ancient culture that already discovery some tech you haven't yet.

i once got archery on the 3rd turn and immediately started the temple of artemis (about 31 turns--less as my pop increased). i ended up losing that game so i therefore blame it on the archery gift and going for ToA early.

ya know, the coders COULD have coded it so that a free tech ruin will be anything you arent currently teching.

That is in fact what Civ 3 is coded as.

Defeats the purpose of the hut. You are, in theory, finding the ruins of an ancient culture that already discovery some tech you haven't yet.

I get that, but that's silly, really. How do you find animal husbandry or mining in the ruins of an old city? Wall paintings of a pasture or corral? A deep hole in the ground with dull-looking metal at the bottom and a half-buried anvil? An instruction manual in a language you can't read BECAUSE you haven't researched WRITING yet?

More "realistic" (and I actually don't care about realism--it's just a game) would be discovering wall paintings and a bunch of artifacts that show your citizens that a wide range of advanced things, like archery, the wheel, a deep hole in the ground or a pasture, are possible and hints as to how they might work, and, therefore, give your civ a generalized research boost. For the tech you are researching, it might help you complete that tech (the ruins gave your researchers that one last, critical insight) or just boost you along towards completion. Essentially, ruins could function as mini-RAs, but giving you a fixed number of beakers (5-10-20 beakers). Wouldn't be game breaking, and would behave more like culture and faith ruins.

I get that, but that's silly, really. How do you find animal husbandry or mining in the ruins of an old city? Wall paintings of a pasture or corral? A deep hole in the ground with dull-looking metal at the bottom and a half-buried anvil? An instruction manual in a language you can't read BECAUSE you haven't researched WRITING yet?

More "realistic" (and I actually don't care about realism--it's just a game) would be discovering wall paintings and a bunch of artifacts that show your citizens that a wide range of advanced things, like archery, the wheel, a deep hole in the ground or a pasture, are possible and hints as to how they might work, and, therefore, give your civ a generalized research boost. For the tech you are researching, it might help you complete that tech (the ruins gave your researchers that one last, critical insight) or just boost you along towards completion. Essentially, ruins could function as mini-RAs, but giving you a fixed number of beakers (5-10-20 beakers). Wouldn't be game breaking, and would behave more like culture and faith ruins.

Touche...

I'm actually OK with it being something I am about to finish, or ocean tiles, or something really useful - the variety is fine, the level of benefit variable - all good.

Top Bottom